What's new

Back to School....

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Well I am registered at my Saddleback College, and just took some entrance /placement tests. Happy to say I placed out of dummy Math and Algebra as well as dummy English. Not bad, 18 years later. So 6 units down, in 1.5 hours. They are also accpeting the 9 units I have from 18 years ago. 6 o fhtose units acctually for my Gen Ed requirements and 3 for an elective requirement.

The goal is to transfer to Orange Coast College, for thier Radiolgy Tech Program. For now I am only taking 9 units per semester, for a year, to finish my Gen ED and Pre-Reqs for the program. Which will make for a busy schedule while working full time. Pretty sure I can handle it.

The scary part comes when I am accepted to the Radiology program. It's a 2 year program, that must be completed in 2 years, no exceptions. 2 year waiting list, and only 28 accepted each fall. Involves lots of school and 1,850 hours of unpaid clinical work. So Basicly I have to quit work, and support a family of 5.

Wish I would have listened, when someone said it will be harder later on. If you have kid who is flaking out, have them give me a call and I'll give them a run down on why it's easier to just go while you live at home.

I can't be sad about the past, as I would have never met my wife or had my kids, if I hadn't been a flake back then.
Wish me luck.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Best of luck man! That is an awesome accomplishment and step. Let us know if we can help at all... although creating time out of thin air isn't one of my strengths...

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
ZING!

Hey, man...Awesome that you are setting goals and marching forward. Noble, and great example for your kids.

Call me anytime if you need moral (or immoral) support :)

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Good luck dude. I'll be looking at going back to school myself this next fall and working full time, so I'll be in the same boat. Keep ya in my prayers that all goes well for you.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
We all know you're going back just for the parties... no need to give us the story :rofl:

Glad to hear you're going back, and best of luck to you sir. Though luck really has nothing to do with it... you get out what you put in, and it sounds like you know how to work - You'll be golden.

... just not a gopher. /MNjokes.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Way to go!!! I remember someone telling me “Do you realize you will not graduate unit you are 47”?...so I thought for a second and responded, “ well…I’m going to be 47 anyway”…and at 47 I got my diploma! Go for it!

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
If you like Radiology then it is a fantastic major to take. My cousin is a Radiology Technician major at University of Wisconsin and she couldn't be happier.

Be very thankful you don't have to take those courses of Gened. Gened is just dead people and dinosaurs, the classes point blank are to teach people how to learn and how to retain knowledge. You will never need to know 99.9% of those classes in a real life career outside the education fields but the learning habits from the classes are used for life.

When it comes to flunking out I have seen at least a hundred people I know drop out of college in the 3 years I have been here and it really is a shame. I am being forced to take next semester off of WSU for financial reasons($16K in debt after 2.5 years and I work 60 hours a week in the summer) and I made sure I already am registered back here for next Fall. I see too many people say they are coming back but realistically only about 1 in a dozen I have seen return.

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Congrats Dave! Does this mean you'll be studying at the next beach herf?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Don't burden yourself by thinking too far into the future Dave. Take things as they come and if its in the books it will work out in the mean time you know what you gotta do.. time management is one aspect the other is preparing for the two years of professional school i.e. how you can save up enough or cut enough corners to go to school and support your family.

Cheers and good luck buddy hope you're successful in your endeavor.

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
Great news Dave. I had a friend of mine that actually graduated from there about 18 years ago. Pretty small world.