What's new

Backpacking/Hiking

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It was a revelation haha.

I still volunteer with the local scout troop, & getting them to convert had been like pulling teeth... Mainly because the older scout masters refuse to think about it. I understand some of it is about having backups & a safety cushion, but some of the older boys have taken what I've shown them to heart.

I think the biggest thing I had to get over was only bringing one pair of pants/shirt (aside from sleeping clothes) for the duration of a hike... Then I realized I was bound to smell anyways.

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
When I took my guide exams in the mid 90's my pack weight was in the mid 80 lbs. today with the everyday gear, back up gear and med. my guide pack is down to 67lbs. No reason to not go light weight with today's gear. It's always hard to teach old dogs new tricks I fought it for a bit but have seen the light. Most trips it's 1 pair of zip off pants, a pair of shorts and two shirts. Socks I bring a few pairs nothing beats a fresh pair in the boots. Winter/high altitude is a different story lol.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
lol.. sounds like my army pack...

"here son... take 125lbs of lightweight gear with you!"

I still enjoy day hikes.. my wife and I will hit the smoky mtns 2 or 3 times a year and do anywhere from 5-15 miles..

We did Mt. Leconte via the trillium gap trail most recently... hike kicked my ass... but was well worth it... beautiful scenery.. lots of wildlife, etc..etc..

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/lecontetrillium.htm

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I love the Smokey Mountains mdwest, when the kids get a little older I hope to go every 2 years or so. Our last trip we did a bunch of the shorter hikes like Laurel Falls, Grotto Falls and Rainbow Falls because of a 3 year old.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I did a nols fastpacking course, we managed to shave our packs to 16-17 lbs minus food and water, doing a group trip we were able to share some things like bear spray/split tents n cook sets and first aid, but overall I was comfortable

It's amazing how much you can give up and still enjoy it as much or more

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A few pictures from last weekends small trip! Started at the MA/CT border & ended up at the Heublein Tower the next day.... Unfortunately our Sunday was cut short because of some gigantic blisters on my buddy's foot. Hoping to finish up the CT section of the New England Trail before this winter, then I'll start working on MA!

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Last year, before I ruptured a disc in my neck and had surgery, I hiked Atwell-Hocket Meadows in the Sequoias with a group of buddies. Something like 26 miles round trip with some crazy elevation changes. Absolutely gorgeous. Looking forward to a new adventure next year after I'm all healed up.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I didn't realize I never posted about my day hike to the Northern Presidentials in NH! Will keep it short, so as not to bore anyone.

Got an early start (4 am I think?) and was the first person to show up at the Madison Hut... Got free pancakes for the achievement!

Adams with Washington looming in the background
Looking back at Madison

Summited Mt Madison quick before turning around & heading up Mt. Adams. Unfortunately, I got stuck in the clouds before heading down. I go slow, so I called it a day after that. 1l miles, I think like 4000 ft of total elevation gain, & lots of nice views!

And because we had some extra time & were right down the road, my daughter & I conquered Mt Major. 4 mile hikes aren't so easy when your kid decides she needs to sit (and later, fall asleep) on your shoulders!

Rating - 100%
156   0   0
Nice looking hikes guys. Not doing any long hikes myself this year. Mostly approaches to rock climbs so under 2 miles.

My partner coming up to one of the belay ledges.

Hanging out on a ledge about 600' off the deck.

Top out and a cool tree.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I've done some backpacking in my day as well. Mostly extended weekend loops for me and about 5-6 buddies. We've pretty much covered all of the smokey mountains and recentlyade a few trips to the dolly sods in West Virginia. We've talked about a trip out west but haven't put it together yet.

We've had an annual back packing trip for about the last 20 years