What's new

Bacon

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Last update:

Purchased a new meat slicer. Made the job so much easier.

Sliced pretty thick. Thinner than hand slicing last time, but still thinker than most store bought. It cooks up better at this thickness.

Vacuum packed for the freezer.

Things I learned:

1. If you have multiple shelves of bacon on the smoker, rotate them. The bottom row got more smoke than the top. Makes sense I know, but didn't think it would be an issue cold smoking.

2. The extra spices didn't add much flavor. Next time I'm going with just cure/salt mix, brown sugar and pepper.

3. 13 hours was a little to long. I know the smoke will mellow in time, but 8 hours will be enough.

Things I already knew:

I will never go back to store bought bacon .

If you have any question please ask. Hope you enjoyed!

Edited to show first meal with it.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Time to make more bacon! Bought a 9 lbs pork belly at Costco and cut it into 2 4 lb slabs. Rubbed in in cure to go into the fridge for about 9 days. With the leftover lb I cut it into 1/2 inch chunks and put in rub to try something new...smoked pork belly burnt ends! We will see how those turn out.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Last update:

Purchased a new meat slicer. Made the job so much easier.

Sliced pretty thick. Thinner than hand slicing last time, but still thinker than most store bought. It cooks up better at this thickness.

Vacuum packed for the freezer.

Things I learned:

1. If you have multiple shelves of bacon on the smoker, rotate them. The bottom row got more smoke than the top. Makes sense I know, but didn't think it would be an issue cold smoking.

2. The extra spices didn't add much flavor. Next time I'm going with just cure/salt mix, brown sugar and pepper.

3. 13 hours was a little to long. I know the smoke will mellow in time, but 8 hours will be enough.

Things I already knew:

I will never go back to store bought bacon .

If you have any question please ask. Hope you enjoyed!

Edited to show first meal with it.

...that is heaven!!