What's new

Bacon

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0

Here it is! Cut it by hand so it is pretty thick. It is the best bacon I've ever had . Next time I need to do triple what I did. I would be happy to share how I did it if anyone is interested.
Do bears shit in the woods? Heck YES! Tell us! That looks delicious.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Loved this thread. Were you going to post how you did it? Would love to see it.
I'm sorry brother, I started a new job right after this that has been working me 6 eleven hour days a week and completely forgot. I'll definitely get it up soon. Thanks for the reminder because I would love to share.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Sorry it's taken me so long to update this thread, but I thought it would be easier to give a step by step of the process. I'm starting a new batch today.

I will say, if you plan on doing this, be really careful so nobody gets sick. Prepare at your own risk .

I purchased the pork belly at Costco. It was cut in 1 lb pieces this time and I got 10 lbs. Costco cuts the skin off. If you get it somewhere else, take the skin off.

I use tender quick as my cure and salt part. For every LB of belly use a TABLESPOON of tender quick. This CANNOT BE ADJUSTED. Measure and weigh your ingredients.

1 Lb of Pork Belly
1 Tablespoon of Tender Quick
1 Tablespoon of Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon of Cracked Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon of Garlic Powder

I rubbed each lb of pork belly with the exact rub mixture above. Make sure to cover every part of the belly equally. Put in vacuum seal bag. If any rub mixture falls off the belly put it in the sealed bag. I put 5 lbs in a sealed bag with this mixture. It is the same mixture as my first batch and it turned out great.

Now for the other 5, 1 lb pieces I wanted to add a couple of other spices. Remember, tender quick always stays the same. Using the same base rub mixture above I added 1 teaspoon of toasted onion powder to 4 of the lbs and cajun powder to the last lb just for fun.

Everything vacuum sealed and put into the fridge for at least 6-7 days. I go 9-12 days just to be safe. Flip and massage the bags everyday in the fridge.

Sorry so long. I want to make sure everything turns out great and safe for anyone who does this. Feel free to ask any questions. I will update when I move to the next step in a week or so.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Update:

After 14 days (a little longer than I wanted, but the weather and work dictated the time) I took the pork bellies out of the vacuum bags and rinsed them off real good and put them in an ice bath for about 25 minutes. I do this so the bacon won't be to salty. This isn't a necessary step, but I don't like things too salty. Your first time making bacon you should do a fry test to see how salty it is before you smoke it. Cut off a small piece and cook it in a pan. If it's too salty just soak it longer. Once it's smoked you can't do anything about the saltiness.

Next, I take it out of the ice bath and rinse it again and pat dry. It will go back into the fridge uncovered for 8-24 hours to air dry. Smoke will stick better to dry meat. I will be cold smoking it tonight when the temperature cools down a little and update then.

Technically it is bacon now and you could cook and eat it without smoking it, but smoke makes everything better.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Update:

Got the A-MAZE-N Smoker loaded and fired up with a mix of apple, hickory and maple pellets. No heat on the MES 40. It's just plugged in so I can see the interior temp. I want it to stay under 90 ideally. Will smoke overnight for 8-12 hours depending on how long the pellets last.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Collectively, you guys suck!

I sit here in Japan with absolutely no access to quality bacon. You guys are hamming it up with these types of pictures.

Thanks, you just made my stay in Japan feel like that much longer.
Brother, if there was a safe was to send you my homemade bacon I would gladly do it .

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk