What's new

Bad Experience At A Shop (Rant)

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So, I was at the nearest B&M this morning and lit up a smoke. The dude behind the counter starts lecturing me on how I light the stick.

He was going in, "oh you can't light a stick like the. If you puff it will burn the filler inside and ruin the stick. You should really let us light the cigar for you before you ruin it. " On and on about how I was ruining the stick and new guys always make that mistake.

I was being polite. "I've done it this way for years. It works for me." I used all of my southern hospitality and conflict resolution training. He would not relent.

Finally I just looked over and said, "Bro, if you ain't smoking it, don't worry. I dropped the coin and I want to enjoy it."

He made a smart comment and I told him "it is referred to as the Perdomo method. I think fucking Nick Perdomo knows a little more than you about cigars."

Why is it that so many shops either have customers or employees that want to police how people enjoy the hobby? Like, just let people spend their money and relax. This is supposed to be about joy and community. It isn't about your opinion on how people are having fun the wrong way.

Last edited:

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched that video some time ago and I have never used that method But the cigar seams to get lit.

And Ill bet Nick Perdomo has forgot more about cigars then that counter guy will ever know

Its like everywhere you go some ass hat has to be the smartest guy in the room, and then actively trying to drive away paying customers.

"Stop doing things the way I don't do them"

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veteran's Home of Wyoming, Buffalo, Wyoming
So, I was at the nearest B&M this morning and lit up a smoke. The dude behind the counter starts lecturing me on how I light the stick.

He was going in, "oh you can't light a stick like the. If you puff it will burn the filler inside and ruin the stick. You should really let us light the cigar for you before you ruin it. " On and on about how I was ruining the stick and new guys always make that mistake.

I was being polite. "I've done it this way for years. It works for me." I used all of my southern hospitality and conflict resolution training. He would not relent.

Finally I just looked over and said, "Bro, if you ain't smoking it, don't worry. I dropped the coin and I want to enjoy it."

He made a smart comment and I told him "it is referred to as the Perdomo method. I think fucking Nick Perdomo knows a little more than you about cigars."

Why is it that so many shops either have customers or employees that want to police how people enjoy the hobby? Like, just let people spend their money and relax. This is supposed to be about joy and community. It isn't about your opinion on how people are having fun the wrong way.

Most hobbies are the same way with there being people like that.

Guns are a big one for that. Stopped going to B&M gun shops when I got my FFL03.

Lots of bad people and experiences in pretty much any gun shop.

Very few Cigar shops in Wyoming, so have only been in a couple and fortunately had no issues.

I don't "properly" light my Cigars honestly and have never had any issues with burn or taste from it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I think the shop owner definitely needs to know what an asshat he has working for him. An employee like that is terrible for business.

If that guy IS the shop owner then he is not going to be in business long.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sounds to me the fella just didn't know when to stop when you started to get aggravated with him. Could have been a simple conversation but he didn't move on from the lighting bit. Sometimes going into a shop and being ignored is a drag to.

Rating - 100%
101   0   0

i actually used this method today on my esg, i really saw a notable diffrence. thanks for posting

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Called the manager/owner today and he apologized. He basically said he hired the guy as a favor to someone he knows and was happy to learn how the person acted when he wasn't there.

It was a shop in Raleigh that I had never been too before. So, I really don't want to drop the name. I decided to visit the shop after taking my Pops home from the ED. While I don't think I was wrong about the service, I do think I let it big me longer than normal because of the circumstances.

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Called the manager/owner today and he apologized. He basically said he hired the guy as a favor to someone he knows and was happy to learn how the person acted when he wasn't there.

It was a shop in Raleigh that I had never been too before. So, I really don't want to drop the name. I decided to visit the shop after taking my Pops home from the ED. While I don't think I was wrong about the service, I do think I let it big me longer than normal b
ecause of the circumstances.
Sounds like a good move, I would want to know if I had an employee that was.... out of line
He may just need some education on customer service and cigar etiquette. or he may need to go

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
That's lame! Nothing like ruining a persons smoke with smug condescension.
Idk, does someone being a douche really mean it has to ruin your smoke (or whatever else), or does it mean they’re really just asking you to keep doing whatever it was that was bothering them in the first place, except more and more often?

It’s all about perspective….