What's new

Baking Bread Thread

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
We've got a smoked meat thread, plenty of drink threads, even a ketogenic thread.
I like to bake breads and occasionally cookies so I thought I'd make a bread baking thread. Surely I can't be the only baker around here.

A few photos to start things off.
20190120_134008.jpg 20190120_135943.jpg

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I had a sourdough culture a few years ago that made it about 6 months.... Damn I miss fresh sourdough. Gonna have to see if I can get another going now.

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
We've got a smoked meat thread, plenty of drink threads, even a ketogenic thread.
I like to bake breads and occasionally cookies so I thought I'd make a bread baking thread. Surely I can't be the only baker around here.

View attachment 129419 View attachment 129420
I have been baking bread for a few years now, nothing that looked as good as that though, great job (really missing the bread on my keto diet)

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Not much to it, just time consuming. If you dont have a full day to commit, takes careful planning to hit all your time markers as needed.

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
This wasn't a sourdough loaf. Just active dry yeast. I'm actually working on a sourdough culture. My last one went to shit because I'm lazy.
I'm traveling this week for work so I'll do another dry yeast loaf or 2 next weekend. Maybe ciabatta or French loaf. Not sure yet.
I just really like baking in the winter. Not so much during golf season.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
So it's not bread, but over the last year I'm been getting into baking sweets (wife is pregnant so I can get away with it.) I'd like to give bread a shot, when I get some more time I'm definitely going for it.

Oatmeal Cream Pies
OCP.jpg

Blossoms
Blossom.jpg
Tonight I'm making Millionaire Shortbread as a thank you to my in-laws to watching my daughter this week. My shortbread wasn't much to write home about, but I'm pretty pleased with the caramel layer. Chocolate goes on in 20 minutes or so, we'll see how it goes...
caramel.jpg

btort

Bob
Rating - 100%
68   0   0

View attachment 129419 View attachment 129420
Meetings delayed a day so I wanted to get my gluten fix.
View attachment 129495 View attachment 129496
And yes, I'm going to keep this thread going by myself.
Those loaves look amazing...recipes please!

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Those loaves look amazing...recipes please!
You take me golfing next time I'm in dfw, I'll send you all the bread you want.
Recipe
White bread with poolish.
500g AP flour
500g H2O
.25g active dry yeast (just a smidge. Don't be afraid to use to little. The flavor comes from a long ferment.)
Mix together in bowl until no dry clumps. Cover with plastic bag. Ferment at room temp (60-70f) 12-14 hrs. (overnight)
Next day add following to bowl.
250g H2O
500g AP flour
22g salt
3g active dry yeast
Mix in bowl until thoroughly combined. It will still look like shit.
Ferment 2-3 hrs at room temp.
Fold dough with wet hand in bowl 3 times during first hr. Google how to fold dough.
Scrape out of bowl. Divide into 2 blobs. Form 2 balls gently. We don't want to lose all those CO2 bubbles.
Place balls in floured container. I use kitchen bowls lined with flour covered tea towels. Ferment 1.5 hrs.
Preheat oven (450-475f) at 45 min mark with Dutch oven. Put one container of dough in fridge at this point if your oven is only big enough for one Dutch oven.
Place one ball of dough in Dutch oven and bake covered for 30 min. Remove lid and bake for 15 more min.
Remove from pot.
Pour a glass of bourbon and enjoy the crackle of the crust as it cools.
Rest 20 min (if you have the willpower) on grate allowing airflow under loaf.
Pour another glass.
Enjoy all the yummy evil gluten.

EDIT. I'll add pictures of each step next time I make.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Rye boule I just finished up this evening. 15% whole rye flour. 14g soaked caraway seeds. Whole flour never creates as big of bubbles as AP flour but it makes great sandwich bread because of it. I may cook the sister loaf in a loaf pan tomorrow morning.
20190212_181644.jpg 20190212_181655.jpg 20190212_181814.jpg

btort

Bob
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
You take me golfing next time I'm in dfw, I'll send you all the bread you want.
Recipe
White bread with poolish.
500g AP flour
500g H2O
.25g active dry yeast (just a smidge. Don't be afraid to use to little. The flavor comes from a long ferment.)
Mix together in bowl until no dry clumps. Cover with plastic bag. Ferment at room temp (60-70f) 12-14 hrs. (overnight)
Next day add following to bowl.
250g H2O
500g AP flour
22g salt
3g active dry yeast
Mix in bowl until thoroughly combined. It will still look like shit.
Ferment 2-3 hrs at room temp.
Fold dough with wet hand in bowl 3 times during first hr. Google how to fold dough.
Scrape out of bowl. Divide into 2 blobs. Form 2 balls gently. We don't want to lose all those CO2 bubbles.
Place balls in floured container. I use kitchen bowls lined with flour covered tea towels. Ferment 1.5 hrs.
Preheat oven (450-475f) at 45 min mark with Dutch oven. Put one container of dough in fridge at this point if your oven is only big enough for one Dutch oven.
Place one ball of dough in Dutch oven and bake covered for 30 min. Remove lid and bake for 15 more min.
Remove from pot.
Pour a glass of bourbon and enjoy the crackle of the crust as it cools.
Rest 20 min (if you have the willpower) on grate allowing airflow under loaf.
Pour another glass.
Enjoy all the yummy evil gluten.

EDIT. I'll add pictures of each step next time I make.
How big of a dutch oven do I need? With the dough that comes out of the fridge, does it need to come up to room temp before it goes in the oven?

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
How big of a dutch oven do I need? With the dough that comes out of the fridge, does it need to come up to room temp before it goes in the oven?
I've allowed the dough to come to room temp and put cold dough in the oven and can't tell a difference. I use my wife's fancy enamel Dutch oven most of the time and I think it's 6-8 quart but I've also used my smaller 4 quart camping lodge cast iron with the same success. If you don't have a vessel big enough, just make 3 smaller loaves and bake for slightly less time.