What's new

Balkan Sobranie #759

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
About a year ago a brother here gifted me a 50gram pouch - which I thought I'd never find anywhere except the occasional overpriced ebay auction. I've held onto it & have dared not touch it based on the mythic hype surrounding this lost blend.

Well in my travels today... I found some.
Yup, 6 or 7 pouches in a dusty box hidden away in a small shop...

I wanted them all, but another piper found them & was doing some research on their worth... In the meantime - I offered him $20 for a single pouch - he would let go of no more at this time. (Until he can somehow figure out how much they are worth).

So my quetion is: How much is it worth? :scratchhe

I was (and still am) excited from the rush of finding something of this supposed caliber. One box (unopened) still had the original reciept printed on it dating from October of 1998. The original price was $49 for what I'm assuming is a 5-pouch box.

And yes, I will be smoking a bowl of it tonight in honor of International Pipe Smoking Day!

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
AJ, the way I look at it is some things, like Balkan Sobranie #759, you just can't really put a value to it.

It's kinda like that expression, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!"

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
BTW - it's delicious.

I have to compare it to my favorite: Penzance...

A little spicier at first without the nic kick...
A bit dry, but packed with flavor - the aroma is intoxicating...

Then as the bowl progresses it mellows out a bit & gets a more robust flavor (rounding out & now chock full of 'kick'), almost chocolaty, clove-ish... Very similar to Anejo spice, but with about 12 years of age... A truly wonderfull English blend.

I'm gonna try my best to convince this guy to sell me more... It may be the only chance I'll ever have to aquire this beauty...

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Good luck AJ, I hope you can get some more, it's a 'once in a lifetime" opportunity my friend!

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
AJ this is my favorite Pipe tobacco of all time. I was paying $15 to $20 for it. I am glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. I still have enough hiding to keep me going for a fee years as I don't smoke a pipe often. If he won't sell you more let me know and I might be able to help you find some

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Okay - EDIT! It's Original Smoking mixture - I was able to get three more... He does have a couple more of the OSM & two packets of #759 - which I'm not giving up on. I'll be going back... Hehe..