What's new

"Based off" - What does that even mean?

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I've got a question that's come about from the TAA 2015 thread/Halfwheel article.

When a manufacturer says that a blend is based off another line, what does that really mean?

Does it mean that it's the same but the tobacco is from a different year? Or maybe it shares a wrapper and a some filler?

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
probably the same blend with different crop. thats how i took it. which is why i said no one knows if the TAA '15 will be better than the others. all hype at this point.
Well that's what I thought but does that mean that this is the same cigar as the Pork Tenderloin? Coz they said he TAA '11 was "based off" that

Based on the '12 and '14 it will be awesome?
No Doubt

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Tatuaje TAA 2015 will be a rerelease of the Tatuaje TAA 2011, a 5 5/8 x 54 Connecticut broadleaf-wrapped cigar that was based on the blend of two legendary Tatuajes: the Barclay Rex and Pork Tenderloin.

so.. how read this is: the 2011 is based off a combo of the barclay rex and the pork tenderloin... and that the taa15 is a re-release of the taa11.
so it SHOULD be the same in my mind because it is a re-release... or else they would say the 2015 is "based on" the 2011... amirite?

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Tatuaje TAA 2015 will be a rerelease of the Tatuaje TAA 2011, a 5 5/8 x 54 Connecticut broadleaf-wrapped cigar that was based on the blend of two legendary Tatuajes: the Barclay Rex and Pork Tenderloin.

so.. how read this is: the 2011 is based off a combo of the barclay rex and the pork tenderloin... and that the taa15 is a re-release of the taa11.
so it SHOULD be the same in my mind because it is a re-release... or else they would say the 2015 is "based on" the 2011... amirite?
I read it the same as tadpole. But with a thicker french accent.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0

"It actually marks the third time that this blend, which uses Nicaraguan fillers, has been released as a TAA exclusive, as last year’s Tatuaje TAA 2014 was based off the blend as well."
But then it says this right underneath, "based off" rather than "re-release"
....I should just probably go asleep and not get so excited about these things.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based off of the sticks a lot of you already spent your money on so if you liked 'em then you'll need to spend more money this time too. But if you didn't like 'em all that much, they're just based of that blend so they'll be different enough so the rest of you can spend your money too! :ROFLMAO:
(don't know why it was so easy to be cynical, I want some.....)

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It depends on the person saying it and the context. I read it the same as above, a re-release of the 2011 and "based off" the barclay rex and the pork tenderloin. "Based-off" could mean that it's the same blend but different crop. It could mean that it was blended to meet the same flavor profile but required a tweaked blend because leaves vary from year to year. It could simply mean that it's the same blend but different size.

From my experience with Tatuaje, it probably means different size(which can obviously change leaf ratio). Pete generally mentions if there is a change in the blend and why he changed it, mst of the time it's because he's picky as hell.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Based on the fact that it can mean whatever the person who said it wants it to mean....it's tobacco that is rolled that has a foot and head and is lit to produce smoke. Sometimes it is what it is.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I read the title to this thread, I assumed it was about a grammatical pet peeve of yours. Though that's an incorrect assumption on my part, yet I feel compelled to share one of mine; "All new episode". I always wonder, "as opposed to what?" A partially new episode? Prolly pickin nits here, but it bugs me never-the-less!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Combo of blends with crop variation
pretty much this. they use what is, on PAPER, the same as what they used for X blend. but, with variations on crop years, differences in the human selection process for leaf in the blend, and variations in production (most probably the most controllable bit), it van NEVER be a "duplicate" blend. which is cool. i would much rather people admit that it ain't going to be "X v2.0" than try to sell me a lie.

in this specific case, they are revisiting the tat TAA 2011 size, in the same core blend, with current (ish, varies for aging) crops. which, on paper, makes for a VERY GOOD THING to me. o)

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
pretty much this. they use what is, on PAPER, the same as what they used for X blend. but, with variations on crop years, differences in the human selection process for leaf in the blend, and variations in production (most probably the most controllable bit), it van NEVER be a "duplicate" blend. which is cool. i would much rather people admit that it ain't going to be "X v2.0" than try to sell me a lie.

in this specific case, they are revisiting the tat TAA 2011 size, in the same core blend, with current (ish, varies for aging) crops. which, on paper, makes for a VERY GOOD THING to me. o)
Thanks Sean, I think I was on the right lines but the word "re-release" confused me a bit. Obviously they just mean re-release in the sense that it's the same size.
Either way, I'm with Joel, im sure it'll be amazing.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't speak for others, but when I use the phrase "based off" I mean that the new liga was developed using an existing core blend as the starting point from which I tweak... if in the end the new blend ends up being significantly different, then it becomes its own standalone blend, but if in the end the changes are relatively minor I might still refer to the new liga as "based off" the old liga...

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Can't speak for others, but when I use the phrase "based off" I mean that the new liga was developed using an existing core blend as the starting point from which I tweak... if in the end the new blend ends up being significantly different, then it becomes its own standalone blend, but if in the end the changes are relatively minor I might still refer to the new liga as "based off" the old liga...
Appreciate your input Steve.

A question for you. If you went with your existing blend and made minor changes but that then brought about some fairly significant changes in flavour, would you still say it was "based off" the old blend given that you've only made minor changes yourself?