What's new

Basil Hayden or Buffalo Trace & Why

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Fellas,
I am need to pull the trigger this evening on one of these and need some help in deciding. While I have tried both of them, I've never had a bottle as I am more of a Rum and Craft Beer guy. Just trying to expand my horizons a bit here so I am wondering in terms of aging and in pairing. Having read some reviews, I am inclined to trust the brethren here above anyone else.

Thanks in advance.

shadowcam

BoM April '14
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
I enjoy Buffalo trace more as a mixer and Basil Hayden on the rocks. I find that BH is a bit to mild of a whiskey to mix. If I had to go with one for the rest of my life. B trace forever!

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Can't really go wrong with either. Haydens might be a little smoother, but that doesn't means its better.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
IMHO BT is cheaper than BH and much better, neat, rocks or mixed!
I agree. You might want to consider any of the following: Blanton's, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Forrester's Birthday Bourbon, Angel's Envy, or a Tennessee Whiskey George Dickel Barrel Select or 12 year old.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Blanton's is one of my favorites. BH is excellent as well. BT is good but is a cheaper bourbon good for mixing with ginger ale. Woodford Reserve is also a great choice.

Last edited:

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
If your liquor store has it, try W.L. Weller. As for your OP I would say the Basil just because I've never had it. I was eyeing a bottle today though.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
So as not to confuse you with the MILLION other options out there and to directly answer your question: I am partial to BH. I've never had BT to be honest, however, have heard great things about it as well. My experience with BH has been solely pairing with cigars, neat and on the rocks. It's complex, with a hint of sweetness and smooth.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Imo, BH is smoother but milder...best to be enjoyed with a med cigar while the BT can hold its own with a med-full. If my own 2 cents matter, the best all around sipping bourbon that is affordable and pairs with most cigars is Evan Williams single barrel

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
depends on what you like. i have had basil hadens and it is good to me because the taste is clean and smooth, i have however not had Buffalo trace so i can't speak for that one but it's on the list. if you like alot of fire and kick basil is not the way to go

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
From your rum background (saying you like craft could mean ANY thing lol) I'd think you'd enjoy basil Hayden first. Then on to the buffalo traces and the woodfords. That answer is because you asked either or. I'd say get both compare and feel them out see what you like and don't and go from there. I like many bourbons for many different reasons so they all have a time a place and pairings of their own.

I also suggest just going to a good bar for things like this. If you don't want to get stuck with a bottle you don't like hit a good bar and have them and go with what you like.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
After re reading your post tho I missed that you'd tried them and the gist of what you were asking. I'd still recommend the BH tho. I think it's more universal In pairing ability and bit more forgiving in the palate so in your case the better bottle to have between the two.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Basil Hayden has a lower proof which explains why it seems smoother. Of the two I would select Buffalo Trace anytime. My personal favorite is Bulleit so it isn't about price but taste to me.

If you like rums, then you tend to prefer sweeter drinks. I would then look into Evan Williams Single Barrel (but I have seen a lot of inconsistencies between years). Also look into Four Roses Small Batch. 1792 is also tasty but lighter and smoother.

Elijah Craig is good but more of a oak woody flavor. There are a million choices out there so enjoy