What's new

bbq charcoal

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cowboy is garbage lump! Full of rocks and plywood! Royal Oak is ok, just sparks a bit. Ozark Oak is great lump!

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I use stubbs for my grilling and cowboy brand for my slow and low. I did a 96#pig on 4th of july and I couldn't have been happier with it. It burnt nice and slow and I think I went through only three bags in the 9 hrs. that I was cooking for. I did add a little Japanese plum wood chips to it though for some added flavor.
Ok, pardon my newbiness.....

I am new to smoking and am using one side of my large charcoal grill for the coals and the other for the meat....my question is, at what point do you add more charcoal or what evere you are using. Every time I have tried to add coals they never burn, I guess that means I am adding them to late......

Time to get a smoker??? I do not smoke that often yet though...and usually just a slab or two of ribs....

Man I am hungry now....

theribdoctor

Certifiable.
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Ok, pardon my newbiness.....

I am new to smoking and am using one side of my large charcoal grill for the coals and the other for the meat....my question is, at what point do you add more charcoal or what evere you are using. Every time I have tried to add coals they never burn, I guess that means I am adding them to late......

Time to get a smoker??? I do not smoke that often yet though...and usually just a slab or two of ribs....

Man I am hungry now....
your old coals need some life to them, or, you can use the minion method.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
BGE is rebranded Royal oak, so I know how that is.

Dragons breath I'm going to look for around here, I may call the company...looks good. Again Wicked good, maybe I'll have to make the trip, or have a friend bring it down from orlando...charcos is made in canada...looks really good...but again difficult to find locally...
I have heard that royal oak is tghe same but when I try it it seems to burn hotter and faster then the BGE stuff. I use it only in case of emergency.

Posted via Mobile Device

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I cannot get much of a variety of lump charcoal were I live. I do like Kingford competition charcoal and Cowboy. But now reading about the cowboy I need to take a closer look.

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
I've used Cowboy Charcoal and Royal Oak in the past... both are good. The regular Kingsford is not Charcoal, it's manufactured and as other people said has nasty stuff in it.

Concerning refueling and your coals not lighting up... here's what I do. I usually start with two chimney with coals to get it started and pour them out. Then I would put about .75 of a chimney of raw/unburned charcoals on top. With my smoker (Good One, KS) I'll get about 5 hours of smoking without refueling. Of course, I also use wood 5 to 6 chunks for smoke (at first) and is a fuel.

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
Refuel? If I load up at the beginning never had to reload. Longest cook was 30ish hours and still had close to 1/4 of what I started with.

Posted via Mobile Device
What's your smoker? Lived in KC, MO for several years, but never heard of anyone using lump coal getting 30ish hours without refueling?

Last edited:

CigarSaint

Who Dat!
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I get the "Cowboy Charcoal" from Lowe's.
Its about the same price as Kingsford, but less weight. But it doesn't seem to burn down completely like Kingsford does at times. I usually have some chunks left in the bottom of the grille that I sift out and reuse. I don't think there is any chemicals in it, being that its basically natural charred wood chunks.
I put them in the charcoal chimney with 2 of those white cube starters and go at it. No problems with the Cowboy Charcoal yet.
I do see on the website that it does burn hotter than conventional charcoal, so less is.can be used.

:applause::applause::applause:

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ive been using publix lump in my Bubba Keg, and for 15+ hour cooks I'll just use Kingsford in my WSM.

I'll go through two bags of lump or half a bag of Kingsford for long cooks... but I know there is a bunch of crap in Kingsford.