What's new

BDL Connie

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I figured I'd post up a review of a cigar I've often seen others ask "how is it" on the various social media cigar places I frequent. I had the same question and didn't really get an answer so I bought em and answered it for myself.

Decided to try one early. Only been in my humidor a week, i prefer to give a month. I bought a pack of the maduro, habano, and Connecticut. Starting with the Connie as that's not something I typically buy. I've not eaten anything yet and just woke up an hour ago so my taste sense should be as good as its getting. It's also the first cigar in 8 days. So it should be the best way to taste a mild Connie.

I'll review like I do in blind review box pass. Post and edit to add things as I go.

Cold draw moderately open, pretty green/grassy flavor. Somewhat concerned it may not be ready to smoke.

First light very light flavors and smoke body. Very light. Smells pleasant. Slight peanut shell flavor but very light. Zero bite on retrohale.

Inch in even holding the cigar with my teeth as I'm using 2 hands to sharpen a knife on my stone set, there is almost no smoke coming off the foot to get in my nose or eyes. The little bit that does, doesn't sting or burn. This is an extremely mild cigar. But to be fair I've been smoking full body full power cigars for a long time. Flavor is pleasant, absolutely zero off-putting flavors or smells. Still pretty much just a light nutty creamy flavor like peanut shells and milk. Slightly sweet, no bitterness. Ever so slight spice bite coming up on retrohale. Burn is sharp and the ash solid at an inch. Didn't fall with a light tap.

Halfway there was 10 minutes of more spicy nutty flavor but I'm starting to get a slight bitter lingering grassy taste on the back of my tongue. The aroma is starting to be less pleasant. Smoke output increased as the tar buildup in the back half starts to burn. I suspect this needed more time to acclimate and is still wet from the store.

I tossed it a little past Halfway. The lingering taste in my mouth is slightly astringent cedar or like the red paper inner shell of a peanut. No nicotine buzz.

My impression of the connie - it's a $3 yard gar. I may or may not try another after a few weeks, but I think these are going to my father in law who loves when i give him "fancy cigars" and he keeps em in the fridge. To be fair to the cigar, it tasted and performed like any light cigar I've had from General's brands and smoked before it was fully acclimated to my 62-65%rh preference.

It was well constructed and probably would be better with a few more weeks to dry out but I'm not a huge Connie fan so I may not revisit. Overall if you like mild cigars, I think this is a decent $3 cigar. I got 45 minutes of pleasurable smoke from it even if it turned sour. (Edit: For the sake of fairness, I'll smoke another in early March and update.)

20240207_160658.jpg

Last edited:

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I figured I'd post up a review of a cigar I've often seen others ask "how is it" on the various social media cigar places I frequent. I had the same question and didn't really get an answer so I bought em and answered it for myself.

Decided to try one early. Only been in my humidor a week, i prefer to give a month. I bought a pack of the maduro, habano, and Connecticut. Starting with the Connie as that's not something I typically buy. I've not eaten anything yet and just woke up an hour ago so my taste sense should be as good as its getting. It's also the first cigar in 8 days. So it should be the best way to taste a mild Connie.

I'll review like I do in blind review box pass. Post and edit to add things as I go.

Cold draw moderately open, pretty green/grassy flavor. Somewhat concerned it may not be ready to smoke.

First light very light flavors and smoke body. Very light. Smells pleasant. Slight peanut shell flavor but very light. Zero bite on retrohale.

Inch in even holding the cigar with my teeth as I'm using 2 hands to sharpen a knife on my stone set, there is almost no smoke coming off the foot to get in my nose or eyes. The little bit that does, doesn't sting or burn. This is an extremely mild cigar. But to be fair I've been smoking full body full power cigars for a long time. Flavor is pleasant, absolutely zero off-putting flavors or smells. Still pretty much just a light nutty creamy flavor like peanut shells and milk. Slightly sweet, no bitterness. Ever so slight spice bite coming up on retrohale. Burn is sharp and the ash solid at an inch. Didn't fall with a light tap.

Halfway there was 10 minutes of more spicy nutty flavor but I'm starting to get a slight bitter lingering grassy taste on the back of my tongue. The aroma is starting to be less pleasant. Smoke output increased as the tar buildup in the back half starts to burn. I suspect this needed more time to acclimate and is still wet from the store.

I tossed it a little past Halfway. The lingering taste in my mouth is slightly astringent cedar or like the red paper inner shell of a peanut. No nicotine buzz.

My impression of the connie - it's a $3 yard gar. I may or may not try another after a few weeks, but I think these are going to my father in law who loves when i give him "fancy cigars" and he keeps em in the fridge. To be fair to the cigar, it tasted and performed like any light cigar I've had from General's brands and smoked before it was fully acclimated to my 62-65%rh preference.

It was well constructed and probably would be better with a few more weeks to dry out but I'm not a huge Connie fan so I may not revisit. Overall if you like mild cigars, I think this is a decent $3 cigar. I got 45 minutes of pleasurable smoke from it even if it turned sour. (Edit: For the sake of fairness, I'll smoke another in early March and update.)

View attachment 189188
Interesting they nabbed the LFD graphics and changed them up very slightly