What's new

Be careful about "saving for that special occasion"

GolfNut

Wineadors.com
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I posted this in another thread, but figured to do this in hopes it might help someone else avoid what happened to us.
As a warning...My Wife and I had several "Extra special" cigars set aside for extra special occasions. About 6-8 Cubans ranging from a couple H. Upmann, RASS and what we thought was the biggy, a Monte Sublime. We'd saved them for several years for just the right time. A few weeks ago, we were changing things around and took out the little box we had them stashed in....and they were moldy. Absolutely devastated us. Here we'd saved them and saved them waiting for something worthy...and they went to waste.
Not sure where the spores came from as none of the NC's were affected, but whatever.

No more. Expensive or rare, burn them all and enjoy them while you can. :)

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Sorry for the loss man, not fun on any cigar but esp. the ones you and the wife set aside for the special occasion...(very cool that y'all did that BTW) when/what is the occasion? you know how us brother like to know everything!

GolfNut

Wineadors.com
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
The Sublime was going to be burned once we are finally able to move back into the house after the fire from 5 years ago. Was a long and expensive lawsuit against the insurance company that did not go that great for us. We're going to build an apartment into the on site shop and live in it while we rebuild the house as we can afford. Just one of those things. Always figured we'd be back home years ago. Fate said otherwise. We roll with the punches and carry on.

The rest of them, we'd just figure when the time was right, we'd know it.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
The Sublime was going to be burned once we are finally able to move back into the house after the fire from 5 years ago. Was a long and expensive lawsuit against the insurance company that did not go that great for us. We're going to build an apartment into the on site shop and live in it while we rebuild the house as we can afford. Just one of those things. Always figured we'd be back home years ago. Fate said otherwise. We roll with the punches and carry on.

The rest of them, we'd just figure when the time was right, we'd know it.
man, thats rough to hear man, was everyone ok from the fire? I like the half full approach bro...FWIW that is something that most CANT do....says a lot man...

GolfNut

Wineadors.com
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Well just keep it in mind that you never know what life may throw at you, and at the very least if you are saving something for a while...check on the damn things often enough to spot potential problems. lol.
Hope this helps someone down the road.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Well just keep it in mind that you never know what life may throw at you, and at the very least if you are saving something for a while...check on the damn things often enough to spot potential problems. lol.
Hope this helps someone down the road.
Yup. I keep special occasion smokes in its own section of my humidor, so they're in sight regularly and in a well maintained humidor.

Been there done that with other things I was saving for the right time only to find them ruined when the time came.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So sorry to hear about this and the loss of your home and cat as well but thankfully you and your wife go out and are carrying on. You are so right. Just the right time or special occasion is ANY time that we have with those we love including our pets. None of us are promised any time beyond right now.

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
(I've said it here before) A wise brother once told me; "Don't save a special cigar for a special occasion because that occasion will already be memorable. Smoke a special cigar on a regular day to make that day special"

How bad was/is the mold? Do you have any pics? Some mold on cigars is not the end of the world. Depending on how bad they are, you can maybe wipe them off and they'll be just fine. Post up some pics so we can see.
Exactly what I was thinking. As long as it's not in the foot of the cigar you should be able to wipe and enjoy.

GolfNut

Wineadors.com
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I appreciate the sentiment Brother, but take those out tonight and enjoy them instead! We didn't run out of cigars. :)
Wife's drawer: 20150222_144230_resized.jpg
My drawer: 20150222_144247-1_resized.jpg
We've got more than enough to choose from for a while. :)

GolfNut

Wineadors.com
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
And yeah, every one of them had some mold in the foot to one degree or another. The worst was the Monte and I ended up cutting it back over half way, lol. We did light it up, but Suz has some pretty weird allergy reactions so didn't want to chance it too much. Took a few puffs off it to see what we were missing out on. The rest of them we figured it wasn't worth it as they were all small sized cigars and we'd smoked their brothers over the years and knew what they were.

GolfNut

Wineadors.com
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
And after looking at those pics, I figure I'd better take some of my own advise. In the back corner of my drawer is a Davidoff Culebra that Suz bought me when she and a friend were in Vegas a few years back. Another I'd been letting age and "saving". Guess we need to do something about that this weekend. :D

Upnsmoke

If it is to be, it's up to me.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear about you house and cigars...I agree with those whom say that everyday is special.
I have a couple of cigars that are somewhat for a "special" day but spacial does not have to be a very special day...Past December my mom who is a strong kick ass woman had a stroke and I learned to enjoy every minute I can even if I have to remind myself daily.
We never know if that spacial day will ever come, life is short enjoy those you love and the things you love to the full extent!