What's new

Beads and humidity question (newbie)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
First time to post here so hopefully I get some good insights into my problem...

I have a pound of Heartfelt beads (65%Rh) that I started using in my cooler-dor, and have it going with about 50% or less of the beads clear. My digital hygrometer which I calibrated today (reads 1~2% higher than it should using the Boveda kit) has been reading consistently 72% humidity for over a week now. I have cigar boxes in the coolerdor as humidity buffers (I started these from bone dry with the beads) and it's been at 72% rock steady.

This means that I am at pretty much 70% humidity with the calibration (take 2% from the reading).

My question is, should beads do this? I thought these things are pretty foolproof if I have excess beads than the volume they are rated for. I use a pound for a 48qt cooler.

Thanks for any pointers...

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
temperature going up or down at different times of the day can effect humidity readings. just a 1 degree increase or decrease in temp can change the humidity reading by 2 or 3%. while the beads do compensate for temp changes, its a slow process.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comment, I tend to think I was shipped some wrong Rh beads. I did an experiment where I took some beads and stuck them into a fully air tight tupperware, humidity reading in there is also holding steady at 70%Rh, in fact, it went up there pretty quick and is stable for the past couple of hours. Exactly the same readings I get in my coolerdor...

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
Another thing to consider is that your cigars are fine at 70%, they're fine at 65%, they're fine at 63%. Although you may find a RH that you prefer to smoke your cigars at, unless you're way dry, or way wet, you're fine.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,
I guess my cigars' been smoking wonderfully, so not really anything to worry about. But I do think that Pepin sticks smoke better slightly on the dry-side.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
David at Heartfelt has been extremely helpful, he is going to send me a fresh pound of 65% beads! I have noticed my Pepins are getting a bit wet and some have been hard to draw at 70%. Customer support at Heartfelt has been 100% A+. A very good company.

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Glad I could help you out, I am interested in your readings when you get the replacement.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tell me about it. Heartfelt's customer service is second to none. I'm a brand new smoker, just getting set up. I recently ordered an adjustable hygro and a 2oz tube of 65% beads from Dave. Upon receiving my shipment confirmation, I noticed that part of my APO address was left out. I shot him an email explaining that it "may" still arrive with address that was on the package, but I was not optimistic. In no time at all, I had a second shipment confirmation email with the correct information, with an email from Dave stating that we would deal with it later if I happened to receive both. The incorrectly addressed package actually arrived four days after it was shipped, so I paid Dave a 2nd time and gave it to one of my employees as an early Christmas gift.

99% of retailers would have told me to go eff myself and wait to see if the package arrives before taking any action. I thanked Dave profusely for the awesome customer service, and with a virtual shrug, he simply stated that he treats customers the way he wants to be treated. It's as simple as that.

Thanks again Dave! A+ all the way.

BTW, first post! :smile: