What's new

beads question

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So I got my 2 oz tube of 65% Heartfelt beads yesturday and decided to give them a try today. I didn't really know how the best way to wet the beads so I poured some distilled water in a cup and dipped the tube in the water. I didn't burry the hole tube in there because the instructions said to only wet about 75% of the beads. So after doing this I waited and made sure there was no water dripping and set it in a tupperware container to test it out. After about ten minutes the humidity went up to 78%. I ended up pulling the hydrometer out at 78% so who knows how high it was gonna go.I know these beads are supposed to absorb humidity around it right? So how come the humidity got so high? Is it because its in tupperware?

I have a digital hydrometer and even if it was off a couple percent it shouldn't have been this high.

Thanks

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'd go ahead and put the tube in your humi, leave it for a couple hours and see if the humidity levels out. Or Take one end of the tube off, if it is removable look at the beads, if all the beads are clear leave the tube out and let the beads dry out a little till a bunch of them are kind of cloudy, then put the tube back in the humi and see how that works. The tupperware might have a litttle to do with it, the cedar in wooden humi's will absorb some of the humidity also.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
It got that high because the beads were completely saturated with water. All you need to do is moisten a paper towel and wrap it around the tube for a couple minutes and it is ready to go.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saturated my beads when I first got them. It took almost an hour with a hair dryer to dry them out. After that they worked perfectly.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Wet a paper towel, ring it out so it is a little moist. wrap it around the tube for a few minutes.

The beads will then absorb the moisture from the paper towel without getting saturated.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
The problem with placing the tube into a container of water is that the beads absorb the moisture to their capacity but there is unabsorbed moisture attached to them and the tube. This is the moisture that is causing the spike in humidity. A process like Todd outlines allows the beads to absorb the moisture to their capacity without adding excess moisture.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
When they are fully "charged", most will appear to be pretty translucent. When they need to be "recharged" the majority of them will appear to be white. I wouldn't check them everyday, but depending upon the environment, once a week or month should be fine.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Ya I knew that they are clear when they are charged, but the beads being in a tube in the humidor isn't the easiest to see without opening it. I'll just open the humi up once a month unless I smoke between to check the beads.

I just poured the beads onto some paper towels to absorb some of the water and put them in the fridge for like 5 minutes and it looks like its holding at 68% right now. Niiiiice!!

AMG

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask, how long do the beads take to soak up the humidity from a paper towel ?