What's new

Been a while...

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hope you guys are all well. Please excuse the musing.

I used to work in the cigar industry and live in the city. I would check this forum, as well as Brooks blog and many others on a daily basis and completely emerge myself in cigar news, reviews, production information. I would spend hefty portions of every paycheck keeping my three humidors in the height of fashion, tracking down rare smokes, keeping some overseas favorites, and in general taking pride in what I had massed. I would sit in cigar bars and scoff at what others were smoking and get face melting dunk on knob manhattans hold the bitters.
I moved out to the country and left the cigar industry.
It's only been several months, but now when I look at the blogs and forums everything is alien. It's like I've been gone ten years. I don't recognize what pete is pushing, dozens of limited editions have come and gone already, and dozens of new brands I didn't hear about last RTDA have been on the shelves a while. The rate at which this industry moves in frightening, and kind of an anomaly considering the time spent on cigars. My once prized collecting was smoked the first two months after my move. I've gone from smoking three cigars a day to smoking one cigar a month. Two humidors were given to friends, the other, a 600 ct. cabinet holds illustration supplies. My remaining cigars rest in my smoking buddies cabinet surrounded by cigars I would probably be buying if things hadn't changed. I had my first cigar in a while with him this part saturday while doing some work in my garage. It was a RASS, an old favorite. While it used to be a go-to for me, it never blew me away, was just above par. This time around, it was new and exciting. It was better than the sex I haven't been having because my girlfriend moved out a month ago. I had to stop what I was doing and enjoy the cigar fully. No talking. Didn't touch my vodka and tonic.
If you've read this far, do me one more favor. Stop and look at where you are in life. I'm not going to be one of those jerkoffs who says carpi diem or call your mom and tell her you love her, just give time, place, and situation a seconds thought and then move on.

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Thanks for the food for thought.

I love your phrase "keeping my three humidors in the height of fashion". It definitely, encapsulates the thrill of the chase I sometimes need sobering from. Welcome back, I look forward to your fresh perspective.

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
This post reminds me that movie where Chevy Chase moves to the Country.....and lives on a farm....not sure cigars were part of that particular flick though, so I digress....

All kidding aside...

This right here, that moment you had to reflect and soak it all in....and as cliche as it might be.....is why I love cigars.

WkndSmoker

Short Story
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Well said, times will come and go, but what does not change is the brotherhood. I will step up and say all of us have gone through the same thing. Stepping into the B&M even years later and the owner remembering you by name, seeing new faces, and old faces, or revisiting a place like BOTL, that is what it is all about.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Good to see you around and still kickin'! Cigars come and go, there will always be great smokes out there brother. Nice to see you keeping your head up, chat room is still kicking, come on by!

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Glad to see you post up Sam. I had been thinking about you :wtf:

Seriously, I was getting some of your art framed and it brought you to mind. If you smoke your stash you must have smoked some pretty damn fine smokes that I sold you. Enjoy brother. Hope to see you around on the boards.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Glad to see you post up Sam. I had been thinking about you :wtf:

Seriously, I was getting some of your art framed and it brought you to mind. If you smoke your stash you must have smoked some pretty damn fine smokes that I sold you. Enjoy brother. Hope to see you around on the boards.
Glad you thought it frame worthy.

And yeah, that was a good batch. Thanks again for the hookup.

dowjr1

Dan O
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like life is looking up for you again my friend...smoking good stogies again, back on the cigar forum, and chick is out of the house. Time to bring in some NEW! ...stogies and girls.

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Wow man, thank you. Words like that is what I need right now!:applause: Reminds me of a 311 song about living in the now and not the past or future.