What's new

Beer of the Night

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The "Chocolate" turns me off. However, I have never tried any of the Chocolate stouts or ales. I should, maybe I missing something.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
It's not a chocolate flavor like you would think. The chocolate comes from roasting the grains.

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
oh, so I just learned someting new. Now I will have to look into one. What does the roasting of the grain actually do to the flavor?

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Roasted Malts

Chocolate malt is not roasted quite as long as black malt; consequently, it is lighter in color – more dark brown – and retains some of the aromatics and flavor of malt’s sweetness. It imparts a nutty, roasted flavor to the beer but does not make it as bitter as black malt. There are no enzymes in chocolate malt. Chocolate is an essential ingredient in porters and stouts and can be used in mild ales, brown ales, and old ales, and can be incorporated into the grist of dark lagers.

Making black malt involves roasting the malted barley at temperatures so high that they drive off all of the aromatics (malt flavor). There are no enzymes in black malt. In excess, black malt will contribute a dry, burnt flavor to the beer that may be perceived as a bitterness different from that derived from hops.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
This is on Shoppers Vineyards e-newsletter today - sounds tempting. Comes out to $1 more per bottle with shipping than the local liquor chain listed price. Might order it if I can't find any around here...

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
Just saw Toby asked if they have it in Atlanta...and they most certainly do my brother. I live in Roswell (abour 15 miles north of Atlanta) and have seen it at Roswell Beverage along with many other varieties from Brooklyn beer.