What's new

Beetles???

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Sorry for the Newbie question but I received some sticks today from a well known auction site and it looks like one of the 5 packs may have a beetle issue.:cryloud: I think this is a beetle infestation but I am not 100% sure. Could some of the more experienced brothers here take a look at the attached photos and let me know your opinions? Looking forward to your input.

Rupe

IMG_0450.JPGIMG_0451.JPGIMG_0452.JPGIMG_0453.JPGIMG_0454.JPG

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
cannot tell quite, but PLEASE isolate those smokes! baggie, rebaggie, and freeze.

you will see almost perfectly round holes. the beetles themselves look like wee brown lady bugs, and the larvae look like maggots basically. you may also see small channels (think like termites leave), into or even along the exterior of the cigars.

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Already double baggied and in the freezer....

Do you think I should do the same with the rest of the shipment just to be safe? I received 38 cigars total in this shipment.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Take one out of the cellophane and tap the foot gently on something white like the table you took the pictures on. If you see tiny particles then you have a problem (tiny like dust, not chunks or pieces of tobacco). Having said that, if there are beetles, it can take a while for them to eat through enough to tap out. Most of the time the beetles will leave perfect holes in the cigar. Based on your pictures it doesn't appear to be beetles but it's better to be safe than sorry. Freezing right away was the right thing to do!

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
No, from those pictures it's simply parts of the wrapper that broke off. There are no holes that go through the binder. In the "holes" that's visible in the pictures, there are no holes that go through into the filler etc. You can keep them in baggies by themselves in your humidor if it would make you feel more comfortable, but I think you are good.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
From what I can see I don't think it's beetles. Pics are kinda small (at least on my screen) though. Here's some pretty severe beetle damage for comparison (warning, it's graphic folks :sadstare:)...

Dan

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I think your good. Auction sites don't always take the most care when shipping the stick. Here is a picture showing the beetle hole and tobacco dust people talked about.

Rupe

Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Thanks Guys...I'm feeling a lot better now. I still have them in the freezer and will probably keep them there for 48 hours just in case.

Sorry for the thumbnail posts...still getting used to the new forum format. I did discover that if you open these up and then double click on the open file it will bring up a supersized version (at least on my laptop).

Have a good weekend!

Rupe

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sorry for the Newbie question but I received some sticks today from a well known auction site and it looks like one of the 5 packs may have a beetle issue.:cryloud: I think this is a beetle infestation but I am not 100% sure. Could some of the more experienced brothers here take a look at the attached photos and let me know your opinions? Looking forward to your input.

Rupe

View attachment 22415View attachment 22416View attachment 22417View attachment 22418View attachment 22419
Great Questions. I always wondered my self

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Some vendors pack the sticks side by side so while handeling or during transport they rub together causing damage to the wrappers.

I agree with the others you are good to go on the beetles and the sticks are smokeable as well.

If happens again from the same vendor let them know wrappers are being damaged. If they get enough feedback might change how they do business.