What's new

Beetles

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went to roll on this long weekend, only to find that my tub with all my wrappers and binders was infested with tobacco beetles. Put all in the freezer and am hoping for the best! It appears that they hitched a ride on some Nic wrapper form LO. The wrapper was hit hard, don't know if I can save for filler or I may just chuck it. I last rolled in Sept. and saw no evidence of beetle activity, so it appears to have happened since then or it was in the early stages. The tobacco was purchased last Nov during the Black Friday sale. DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I freeze all my leaf when it arrives. It all goes in the freezer for 4 days or more. I cannot understand anyone not doing this.

I also freeze all my store bought cigars before they go into my humidor. Most people don't bother because they say it is done at the factory. It is so simple to do it myself and it provides total peace of mind.
When it comes to raw leaf there is no way it is frozen before we get it so the chance of beetles is very high. I know people will say " I've never had a problem" and all I can say to that is "good for you".

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I freeze all my leaf when it arrives. It all goes in the freezer for 4 days or more.
Sorry to bump this. I am looking to try and roll some smokes this Summer. Never done it before, but am doing the research and all that now. Freezing the leaf is something I’ll absolutely be doing. Do you just freeze it like you would freeze cigars? What I mean is, do you just place the leaf in a bag and suck out the air, double/triple bag it? Or are there other considerations with non-rolled leaf?
Thanks for the advice.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sorry to bump this. I am looking to try and roll some smokes this Summer. Never done it before, but am doing the research and all that now. Freezing the leaf is something I’ll absolutely be doing. Do you just freeze it like you would freeze cigars? What I mean is, do you just place the leaf in a bag and suck out the air, double/triple bag it? Or are there other considerations with non-rolled leaf?
Thanks for the advice.
I don't go to that level of concern. The leaf arrives in bags with twist ties. I just use that. It goes into the freezer for 4 full days and then comes out. I don't bother with transfering to the fridge like some people. Just give it a full day to thaw before handling it. It works for me.

BTW, I have sometimes received leaf that is full of dirt/sand. I don't know why but it has happened twice. If I feel grit on the leaves I will rinse them and let them dry (not fully) just like they do at the factories

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I don't go to that level of concern. The leaf arrives in bags with twist ties. I just use that. It goes into the freezer for 4 full days and then comes out. I don't bother with transfering to the fridge like some people. Just give it a full day to thaw before handling it. It works for me.

BTW, I have sometimes received leaf that is full of dirt/sand. I don't know why but it has happened twice. If I feel grit on the leaves I will rinse them and let them dry (not fully) just like they do at the factories
Very helpful info. Thanks!