What's new

Beretta PX4 Storm

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Anybody have any experience with this handgun? I've been weighing out my options for a couple firearm purchases I will be making soon and this gun has caught my attention lately. I have not been able to hold one yet though, so I've been trying to find a shop that has one in stock. I'm considering the 9mm or .40. There are also a few different types (F,G,D,C, i believe) all with different actions, any thoughts or benefits of the different ones? Thanks to anyone with any input!

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I actually enjoy this handgun. Not one I would carry with me, but I thought it shot straight and recoiled like a champ (perhaps due to that goofy blow back design). Few reasons I wouldn't carry it, 1. I don't trust new designs (locking design) 2. The safety/decock is a bit too high for me. If you don't want one of those, problem solved. Can't speak to its reliability or longevity. I was just using a friends

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
It's a fine enough handgun. It doesn't have much of a following, so little aftermarket support. It doesn't do anything better than other handguns at the same price (or less).

The actions will benefit different types of carry.

Go 9mm.

What makes it particularly more appealing to you than Glocks, M&Ps, Walthers, CZs, H&Ks, etc?

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I love mine. I was between this and the Springfield Xdm subcompact. The reason I went with this one is just felt better in my hand, which I think is about the most important thing

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I dont think it will fail you as a personal defense weapon...

but... mwlabel raises a very valid point.. the gun has been around a little while.. and hasnt picked up much of a following.. as a result.. you are going to be fairly limited on everything from holster choices to accessories.. to even finding dealers that regularly stock things like spare mags, proper mag pouches, etc..

fitting right in the hand, ergodynamics, etc.. are important... but I would say they are far from the most important thing.. theyre just one more piece of a very complex puzzle..

for example.. if the gun fits perfectly in your hand.. but you cant find a holster for it that fits you comfortably, or one that actually positions the weapon in a good place for you, or isnt secure, or doesnt suit your primary purpose well, etc... then comfort in the hand becomes a bit less relevant (you wont be comfortable wearing the gun all day long.. which is something you are going to be doing a whole lot more than shooting it... or you wont be able to get a proper grip or draw stroke from the holster.. or you wont be able to retain the weapon.. etc..etc..)...

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Thanks for the input so far guys!

It's a fine enough handgun. It doesn't have much of a following, so little aftermarket support. It doesn't do anything better than other handguns at the same price (or less).

The actions will benefit different types of carry.

Go 9mm.

What makes it particularly more appealing to you than Glocks, M&Ps, Walthers, CZs, H&Ks, etc?
As far as why it is appealing to me is for a few reasons... I've shot other model berettas (not sure which ones) and really liked how those shot (I know this gun can differ greatly from those) but just like beretta in general and have read great reviews on this gun. As far as Glocks, they do not fit in my hand as well as the others. The M&P .40 is pretty much my only other contender right now, love the way it feels in my hand. I have a Walther P22 already which I absolutely love (for a plinker) but the older brother 9mm or .40 are a little out of my price range and seem slightly hard to come by (all walther version). Don't know too much about the others...except love the sigs and the way they feel and shoot in my hand especially the p226 but way out of my price range. Price was also a factor for the beretta as I cold pick one up for around $350 after a $50 rebate. Seemed like a hell of a deal...

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
You can find CZ 75s, M&Ps, Glocks, old police trade-in Sigs, and police trade-in Walthers if you shop around. Even better odds if you consider used guns as well.

M&P 9 is the same as the 40 dimensionally, FYI.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
if its going to be a bedside table gun only.. thats a very good price.. a used G19 is likely going to set you back $100 more than that (or more depending on condition, generation, etc..).. (the beretta is a full 25% cheaper)...

something to consider though...

if you intend on purchasing a quality holster, mag pouch, night sights, and/or any accessories (light, additional mags, etc..).. your total investment in a new pistol is probably going to end up being somewhere in closer to the $650-$800 range (depending on what you want, what items you get, etc..).. that $100-$150 you save on the pistol isnt really all that much when you consider the "all in" cost (could be as little as 10-15%)..

and we're not even starting to factor in the cost of range time, ammo, training, etc.. (for some people less than $100 a year.. but for others can be in the thousands)...

I guess where I am going with this.. is dont let a couple of hundred bucks be the deciding factor.. if you really want/like the beretta... cool.. get it...

but if you REALLY would prefer an M&P.. save a little while longer... and then make the purchase..

an M&P will last you a lifetime.. and the cost associated with the pistol alone is only a fraction of the overall money you are going to spend over that lifetime when it comes to shooting/carrying/practicing/training with it..

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
My buddy uses the 9mm PX4 Storm. He loves it.

I shot about 40 rds with it last week and I liked it. I was torn between my other buddy's Glock 19 and the PX4 as to what I liked better at the moment. I'm in the market a bit myself and find myself looking at the PX4 because of how much my buddy likes it. We'll see though, I need to fire a few more to get a better feel for what I like.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I own it and I love it. It's one of the most comfortable guns I've shot - I sold my Kimber, but I don't think I'll ever sell the Px4. Accurate, reliable, looks & feels great. I never have trouble finding .40 caliber rounds. The downsides to the firearm is that it is too big & heavy for my preference in regard to concealed carry, though I have been known to tuck it in a belt. I had no trouble finding a decent holster online, but they might be difficult to find the 'right' one at the local shop. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference, go put some rounds through one and see how it feels (they come with sm, md & lg interchangeable grips too). I love mine and plan to keep it for the long haul. Happy hunting!

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Never handled the PX4 so I can't compare, but a great "Sub-compact" with ample stopping power you might want to look into is the Glock 30. I absolutely love mine, accurate, reliable, concealed carry-able if you want. Obviously the price of 45ACP is ridiculous and only going to get worse, but its a definitely a solid combo of big bore in a small package.

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Thanks for the input guys...yea I'm going to try and shoot the M&P and the PX4 if I can find them at a range. I'm just getting the gun for a bedside/range shooter and probably will not get too many extras for it (maybe just a holster). If I like the way the px4 feels and shoots I'll prob go with it in 9mm. I figured I would get a 9mm over the .40 bc I plan on getting a .45 in the future anyway. I know with the M&P and possibly others that you can buy a 9mm to .40 conversion kit but have not seen one for the px4, does anyone know if you can do this with the px4?

You can find CZ 75s, M&Ps, Glocks, old police trade-in Sigs, and police trade-in Walthers if you shop around. Even better odds if you consider used guns as well.

M&P 9 is the same as the 40 dimensionally, FYI.
Will keep an eye out for these used and see if I can get a chance to shoot them. I know the M&P 9 and .40 are the same (not being a smartass), the reason I mentioned the M&P .40 is I was also on the fence about getting a 9mm or .40 and a local gunshop had a nice used M&P .40 that I was considering.

xFreebirdx

Patriot Guard Rider
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
The PX4 feels real nice in your hand if you get the right backstrap for it. I'd love to own one. I'm a fan of Decockers. I have a couple "P" series Rugers in 9 and 45.
I also have a Colt 1911, I fell in love with the 1911 in the military back in the 70's and as far as I'm concerned it is the most reliable field tested pistol in the world. Plus it is one of the pistols that I can naturally hit anything with. Long time shooters will know what I mean.
Take note that I'm not knocking the Beretta M9, Its a great pistol. I just didn't like the idea of NATO making us move to the 9mm for combat. Especially at this day in time when there is a lot of body armor and gear that acts as body armor out there.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Thanks for the input guys...yea I'm going to try and shoot the M&P and the PX4 if I can find them at a range. I'm just getting the gun for a bedside/range shooter and probably will not get too many extras for it (maybe just a holster). If I like the way the px4 feels and shoots I'll prob go with it in 9mm. I figured I would get a 9mm over the .40 bc I plan on getting a .45 in the future anyway. I know with the M&P and possibly others that you can buy a 9mm to .40 conversion kit but have not seen one for the px4, does anyone know if you can do this with the px4?
Not sure on PX4 conversion kits. You can check out companies like Lone Wolf and Storm Lake. Even if they're not listed, they may have something tucked away in their warehouses.

Will keep an eye out for these used and see if I can get a chance to shoot them. I know the M&P 9 and .40 are the same (not being a smartass), the reason I mentioned the M&P .40 is I was also on the fence about getting a 9mm or .40 and a local gunshop had a nice used M&P .40 that I was considering.
Okay, just wanted to point that out. A number of people automatically think larger caliber = larger gun.

Also, if all-steel doesn't bother you... check out older S&W stuff like the 5906. You can typically find them rather cheap, and they are bomb proof.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice gun. I looked real hard at it, but my primary need was for concealed carry, and it is bigger and heavier than a lot of the competition, so I went with a Kahr CM9 and have never looked back.