What's new

Best coffee maker under $50

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Hello Coffee Brethren,

My current coffee solution is my Keurig machine for the weekdays before work and a French press for Saturday and Sunday mornings when I have time to get a little more out of my brew. However, I was lucky enough to score a fantastic new job which will put me to work in my new home office. I enjoy the Keurig coffee for what it is but it certainly wouldn't win any competitions for flavor and the French press just wont do when I need my coffee fix. What is your recommended coffee maker out there for under or around $50? Here's what I've come up with so far:

1. Mr. Coffee Programmable 12-Cup
2. DeLonghi 12-Cup (I don't have any experience with this brand but it seems highly rated online)
3. Food Network 12-Cup (Using some coupons I can get this pretty cheap)

Thoughts?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
spend $100 and get a bunn. preheated resivoir and good drip rate makes convenient and quick coffee consistently. drop a few more for an insulated caraffe and a wire mesh filter basket, and you have a great, consistent, and reliable home set up. and i know i just doubled your budget, but the things are work horses, and they serve me in good stead for a pot and a half a day (not counting work brew). FWIW.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
spend $100 and get a bunn. preheated resivoir and good drip rate makes convenient and quick coffee consistently. drop a few more for an insulated caraffe and a wire mesh filter basket, and you have a great, consistent, and reliable home set up. and i know i just doubled your budget, but the things are work horses, and they serve me in good stead for a pot and a half a day (not counting work brew). FWIW.
I knew that you are the java junkie but DAMN a pot and a half not including while working?! Do you sleep?

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've had them all as far as coffee makers and the best deal going is a French Press...hands down it's the best coffee when you develop the right blend. The FP I have makes 22 ounces of coffee and I make it every day....it stays hot in my thermos and it's better tasting than any maker. If you are in the office you can take your grounds with you...heat up your water and them pour into the carafe for 4 minutes...voila'....best coffee.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Cigary43... I seriously love my french press... Use it daily and coffee is always amazing, :D

right now my favorite coffee takes around 15 to brew... water, piloncillo and few cinamon sticks... simmer for a bit... grind up some fresh mexican coffee... then french press it for 4 minutes and you get amazing coffee, :D

NickThePyro

GO COUGS!
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
My dad has a Bunn here at the house and brews a pot every morning that I steal from. Taste way better than the cheapo coffee pots we use at the fraternity even when we use the same coffee in both. And you are an addict! With coffee as good as people say you make I don't blame you for drinking it like the world is ending tomorrow :youarethe

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I think the $100 Bunn machine is going to fall out of my budget but I keep finding myself lean toward a better French Press solution. FP coffee just tastes so good. Maybe I just need a larger FP and find a good solution for keeping it warm so I have it ready as needed :dunno:

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
With coffee as good as people say you make I don't blame you for drinking it like the world is ending tomorrow
in all fairness, thejavaman home roasts (amazingly!), and i just suck it down like it is going out of style. o)

also, pour over or french press (or even a moka pot or ibrik), would be best cup quality to cost, obviously. however, he said he had a press, and wanted a MAKER, so i am assuming speed and ease of use factor in, which cut out the more longhand production methods.

you thought about just grinding the beans with your teeth? or is that just me?

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
French press all the way.

For drip I use a Technivorm Moccamaster CD by Clement Design. I got it over 5-6 years ago, thing is a champ. (BUT IT"S OVER $50)

For espresso I have and love a Francis Francis Y1.1 illy iperEspresso Machine.

For some reason I still use my old french press once or twice a month, great, strong coffee.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
...For drip I use a Technivorm Moccamaster CD by Clement Design. I got it over 5-6 years ago, thing is a champ. (BUT IT"S OVER $50)...
Technivorm's are the best drip brewers that money can buy. Period. They are expensive at around $300 a pop, but it will be the last drip coffee maker you'll ever buy. They are one of only two drip brewers that are currently approved by the SCAA (Specialty Coffee Association of America) because the water coming from the brew head is around 200 degrees (which is needed for optimal extraction). "Normal" drip makers don't even come close to this...

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Well, I ended up ordering a 34oz French Press because that sounded like a lot of coffee. It arrived yesterday and that's not going to cut it. My plan was to get this press and then order a 34oz Thermos Nissan to keep it warm all day but the 54oz French Press is like $50 so who knows what the stainless steel thermos costs. Seems like a lot to pay for just a pitcher and plunger but what are you going to do without good coffee?

ugh :shame:

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Agree with Cigary43... I seriously love my french press... Use it daily and coffee is always amazing, :D

right now my favorite coffee takes around 15 to brew... water, piloncillo and few cinamon sticks... simmer for a bit... grind up some fresh mexican coffee... then french press it for 4 minutes and you get amazing coffee, :D
Now that's some great info with how to make easy coffee taste like the best restaurant coffee ....piloncillo and cinnamon ....
French press all the way

For drip I use a Technivorm Moccamaster CD by Clement Design. I got it over 5-6 years ago, thing is a champ. (BUT IT"S OVER $50)

For espresso I have and love a Francis Francis Y1.1 illy iperEspresso Machine.

For some reason I still use my old french press once or twice a month, great, strong coffee.
That's because you can change your recipe to reflect how strong you want it...I have a scoop that I fill up for 22 ounces of coffee..comes out perfect everytime..

French press and Zassenhaus coffee mill.

Good info here...am looking it up as I type my reply.

whodeeni

the Cigar "Gangsta" ;0(
Rating - 96.4%
149   4   2
I'm a french press guy myself! If you look in the kitchen Utensil Section at Marshall's
I got a Bodum 12 cup for about 15 IIRC, and got a second one for 7.00 on clearance!
(bought it because I dropped my old one that made me buy that one in the first place!) :eek:)