What's new

best damn brats ever!!!

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
just for some of you bros that have never had a good, tasty, real bratwurst.

first thing you need to do is find yourself some nice brats. the fresher the better. around wisconsin, you can find them at any meat market. for those that cant, the best name brand you can get is (yes) Johnsonville.

start by chopping an onion. (the stronger the better) and dump it into a kettle.

next throw in a clove or two or three of garlic. you dont have to chop it. just drop it in. next come the brats. after you have them nicely nestled on the onion and garlic, start dumping in beer. (anything but lite!!) pour untill the mix is completely covered, about 3-4 cans or bottles depending on your kettle. bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about a half hour. in the mean time, fire up the grill!! charcoal is king but propane will sufice. the coals do not have to be extremely hot!!!! a nice radiant heat will do. (holde you hand a few inches above the grill. if you can count to 4, you're good to go. remove the brats from the "sauce" and place on a plate. use a fork to poke holes in the casings then transfer to the grill. cook untill shriveled. remove from grill and return them to the beer and onion "sauce". cook an additional 15 min or so untill the brats reconstitute.

serve on warm buns with onions, saurkraut, relish and brown mustard. NO KETCHUP!!!!!!!!!!!

goes best with potato salad or baked beans and an ice cold beer.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Damn, you are making me hungry! I lived in Germany, long ago. You could find bratwurst stands everywhere, kind of like latte stands here. . .Yum. . .:grin:

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
dont know about you boys in the south, east, or west.... but around here we have soooooooo many different types of brats, its hard to list.

german brats
cajun brats
taco brats
pizza brats
beer brats
saurkraut brats
onion and garlic brats
beef brats

and thats just from a local meat shop and those are pre-made!!

adodson

linux geek
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm.. I don't usually poke holes... or put back in beer after grilling. I see how one would require the other, and it's a tempting idea. I must try it.

Best with baked beans, for real. The next day, cut up a leftover brat (if there are any) into a bowl of leftover beans and just nuke... MMMM Primo beanie-weanie.

Gotta try that reconstitute trick.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
love brats! and johnsonville's are great!! though, i would seriously like some recipes of those others you mentioned!!:drool:

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I never heard of brats till I moved to MN in 2000, Now I'll have them couple times a month sometime once a week...... Matt is right, I fix them the same way, I have mine with lots of mustard. One thing to help, it takes about one good Churchill cigar from start to finish.....

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've gotta confess...I always put on at least a little bit of ketchup. I know, I know, someone is going to be at my door to take all of my Wisconsin ID's away within the hour.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
normally you dont want to poke holes in the casing as it will let the flavors and juice run out of it. however, if, after the grilling itself, you place the brats back in the beer and onions, they will suck in the beer and make the brats more flavorfull