What's new

Best Humidification Option for Cabinet?

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
So I recently purchased a Aristocrat Mini Tall Cabinet. I didn't get the set and forget at the time but I am now reconsidering it as I have read about some concerns with beads. The nice thing about set and forget is I only pay once and the maintenance (and space taken up) is minimal. I wanted to get some opinions as to whether I should suck it up and just get the set and forget or if beads or another route would be the best way to go.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Boveda packs are very set and forget, and reusable. They don't take up much space and may eliminate the need for circulation fans.
Just tossing them into the ring and would love to hear others opinions on the Boveda packs.
Nice step up btw, and any pics for us to drool over?

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Boveda packs are very set and forget, and reusable. They don't take up much space and may eliminate the need for circulation fans.
Just tossing them into the ring and would love to hear others opinions on the Boveda packs.
Nice step up btw, and any pics for us to drool over?
Hasn't come in yet. When it does I will be taking lots of em.

I don't think Boveda is a realistic option for something as large as this. In my 100 count I have to use four or five to keep humidity where I want it and not have them get drained super fast. I don't even want to know how many I'd have to use in something this size, 30?, 50? Either way, not a cost effective method in any case and and I'd spend a minimum of $135 the first time buying some and would have to go through recharging the that many packs in 60 days. I don't know how many times you can recharge them and still have them work well but I'd guess two or three would be about the realistic limit to have them still work halfway decently. So best case scenario with law of diminishing returns on them that would get me 2/3rds of way thru a year tops then I'm out another $135 to replenish packs. At that price I have already spent more than the set and forget system, which is just silly.

Boveda works best in a desktop scenario I think and even then it gets damn expensive. Anything over a 100 count becomes less and less cost effective to use them. I'd say they work best in a smaller 50 count humi where you can go thru a very limited amount of packs throughout the course of a year, even if you don't recharge them you only go thru a box a year, if you do recharge them that box can last 2-3 years.

I don't like being cheap when it comes to humidification because of the amount of money I have invested in sticks. It doesn't make sense to smoke $7-10 sticks regularly and have $100's invested in various boxes just to not keep them properly humidified. Having said that, if I can pinch some pennies somewhere I'd like to try and do that as I'm already on a decent amount on the cabinet as is and am not looking to make it much more painful then it already is to the ol pocketbook.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Heartfelt beads. They have a calculator on the site that will help. You will never go back to other methods. I use a boveda with my beads btw.....

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I dont think it would take nearly as many bovedas as you think..

but...

I dont personally think bovedas alone are the right answer..

Nothing wrong with an active system like the set and forget if you can afford it and want to go that route..

but I would suggest looking at beads or KL.. along with a handful of bovedas (maybe 4-6.. that should be plenty in an aristocrat mini) to help regulate things..

you wont need more than a couple of pounds of KL or beads in a mini.. they wont take up much space.. and are pretty much fire and forget.. just get the RH where you want it.. and leave it alone..

Once I got my wineador set up (not a whole lot smaller than your mini), I only had to go back and add some additional DW to my KL/boveda combo one time all winter..

Now that Ive got my cabinet set up and the RH set where I like it.. I havent had to touch things in almost a month.. Im guessing it will be quite a while longer before I have to do anything.. its rock solid..

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Great response MasterShake, thanks.
You answered many questions I didn't know I had regarding bovedas. :tiphat:

This may explain why I've seen them combined with beads/KL.

i have 23 packs total and use 13 in my new air 28 btl wineador--two per shelf--even though boveda's website states I should use over 16 it holds rock steady at 65%. The other ten will replace the originals while recharging. I'll keep you brothers updated on how long and consistent they work.
All the best with your new cabinet

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I thought even the best options on the market have only a 2 year warranty?
What's the longest a brother has used these set and forget models for?
Suck it up. One time fee and they work incredibly great.
I've had mine for a year. Zero issues. Haven't really read or heard of anyone having any issues with theirs. I use the accumonitor system, fwiw.