What's new

Best Mixing Water for Bourbon

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I chose to focus on bourbon because it's made with Kentucky limestone water. Unlike any other water used to make other whisky/ey, it is of course rich in calcium and without iron. During the distillation process it is known iron can cause a blackish affect and very acrid taste. Certain mixing waters can help or hurt your whiskey. It can bring out characteristics not experienced before or mask them. If your whiskey has a velvety smoothness, it can accentuate that or maybe even eradicate it. I use Kentucky limestone mixing water, but it has recently come under scrutiny for being not completely pure. I started this thread to not only get to the bottom of this topic. but to find the best solution around it. A mixing water that can offer the same wonderful qualities as I mentioned above. I usually drink my bourbon neat (barrel proof) but occasionally I will need to add water. So what water will hurt it or help it? Thanks.

A good article I found. Please share any others if you can locate them.

https://talesofthecocktail.com/products/why-water-matters-when-it-comes-whiskey-and-water

Last edited:

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Since a principle ingredient in bourbon is water, wouldn't the best water for mixing with bourbon be more bourbon?
Rob, dropping wisdom as always!

Being a little more serious though I rarely will add any water to my bourbon. When I do though it's so little I wonder how much of a difference it truly makes, but in those cases I reach for spring water. Not all bourbon is made in Kentucky and even if it is there's no guarantee on the water so I try not to concern myself with it too much, I spend enough money on shit as it is without ordering water online.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rob, dropping wisdom as always!

Being a little more serious though I rarely will add any water to my bourbon. When I do though it's so little I wonder how much of a difference it truly makes, but in those cases I reach for spring water. Not all bourbon is made in Kentucky and even if it is there's no guarantee on the water so I try not to concern myself with it too much, I spend enough money on shit as it is without ordering water online.
I think 95% of the bourbon on the market today comes from within the boarders of Kentucky, so they'd likely be using the same limestone water sources (considering they've been doing it from the beginning back when only a handful of distilleries existed). If you have a second, read that article I posted. It talks about how certain water can accentuate certain flavor characteristics, and in some cases bring out all the velvety smoothness in even the harshest of certain whiskey's (in their test). The good thing about a good mixing water (like us who only use a touch of it) is that it will last at least 6 months. In that case I'm all for paying top dollar for a quality one (my limestone was $8 for 750ml). $8 is in no stretch a lot for lasting me that long, and also bringing out the best in my prized bourbon of choice. At least the one needing to be lowered in proof, which is next to never (Rye on the other hand absolutely, different animal)..
My question remains about a quality/tested & true alternative to Old Limestone Mixing Water

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mountain Valley Spring Water is as close as you are going to get IMHO.
I'll be on the lookout for this, Amazon is hella expensive ($60 for 12 pack lol). I know I said price isn't a concern really but that is just absurd & way too much quantity wise. Maybe my nearest grocery store has it in the artisan section

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I use exclusively heavy water. In a high wheat content bourbon, water containing at least 78% of the dueterium isotope really brings out the vanilla notes and rounds out any oak overtones. For high rye mashbills I use greater than 90%. The extra neutron softens the spiciness, and eliminates any heartburn.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I use exclusively heavy water. In a high wheat content bourbon, water containing at least 78% of the dueterium isotope really brings out the vanilla notes and rounds out any oak overtones. For high rye mashbills I use greater than 90%. The extra neutron softens the spiciness, and eliminates any heartburn.
IMG_9394.GIF

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No idea what you just said but it sounds impressive. I think I'm a couple chemistry degrees away from understanding all that. Although u did mention the words heartburn & Rye close together (I had a recent bout of that after trying my 1st Rye, neat of course). The limestone water helped out immensely.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Binder,
I think maybe you missed my point in the today's bourbon thread. The KL water is purified thru R.O. It does not matter that the manufacture may use Kentucky water as a source. They are scrubbing it with reverse osmosis and leaving as little as 10ppm of total dissolved solids in the final h20.
Just buy R.O. water from the area you live in. And place it into the fancy glass bottle for long term storage. That is what I have been doing now for the last couple of months. Or just keep spending more on the KL water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Binder,
I think maybe you missed my point in the today's bourbon thread. The KL water is purified thru R.O. It does not matter that the manufacture may use Kentucky water as a source. They are scrubbing it with reverse osmosis and leaving as little as 10ppm of total dissolved solids in the final h20.
Just buy R.O. water from the area you live in. And place it into the fancy glass bottle for long term storage. That is what I have been doing now for the last couple of months. Or just keep spending more on the KL water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually I heard what you said & commended you for it. I replied with a question if you have an alternative that offers the same or similar qualities that limestone water offers. You replied with "distilled water" which is what led me to create this thread, as that alternative doesn't fit the bill. (also to not keep changing the topic of Tennessee Daves thread out of respect). Unless of course you know of a documented whiskey test that distilled water won't affect the taste in any way and add or bring about complexities & nuances in the whiskey. Not watering it down or altering it in a way unfavorable to what the Master Distiller had intended, or maybe even aiding in bringing about the best qualities even the most unfavorable neat whiskey expresses. Water rich in Calcium (like limestone) is known to exhibit this. (Note the article I provided about said topic). I started this thread to get to the bottom of this and also maybe find an alternative so I don't have to keep buying KL water. Also I'm not exactly sure you understood my original point; i'm not looking for the cheapest way (or the most expensive either). $8 a bottle is reasonable as it would last me half a year. I guess I'm looking for a mid-shelf option....the Bulliet of mixing waters haha.

This is kind of like comparing a Xikar Xi3 cutter to a cheap cigar shop single blade cutter. Both do the job but one certainly does it better (& with some class)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ice is good enough for me. I know, some may disagree, but a coule of ice cubes is what I like. Lol.
I for one won't disagree with that. It's what you like & who am I to say otherwise. I'm just a sucker for research/discovery & searching for the best I can find. Probably why to this day I've yet to try regular Makers Mark or Knob Creek Bourbon. (No disrespect to them or those that like it)

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I reckon that explains your glowing personality!