What's new

Best Mixing Water for Bourbon

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Here's Elmer T Lee stating they use RO water ONLY when reducing barrel strength to all of there product line. 50 years at Buffalo Trace should be enough science.....
The 34:30 mark of this video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's Elmer T Lee stating they use RO water ONLY when reducing barrel strength to all of there product line. 50 years at Buffalo Trace should be enough science.....
The 34:30 mark of this video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear what Elmers saying but I still don't understand your argument. That's occurring during the bottling phase (which is under strict quality control & scientific testing). Either way they're using Limestone water because that's what they have access to in Kentucky (whether that's straight from the well or through reverse osmosis). I'm from NJ where the water starts off as shit & most certainly isn't limestone. (Toms River, a town near me has water that has been scrutinized to causing cancer, as an example). I think there's a huge misconception of what water starts off as and how it's finished. Wouldn't Buffalo Traces water be even better if it started off from Limestone then get treated through RO. I don't know where you're from or how good your water quality is but RO water isn't just RO water and that's that, especially RO water that's treated through million dollar equipment. (I know I owned a cafe that was obsessed with water quality which was a direct effect of how our coffee tasted). Also im against buying mixing water in plastic bottles. Not because I'm Mr. Environment but because I'm aiming for the most pure taste. (Plastic carries a very pungent aroma). That's what originally drew me to the glass bottle Limestone.

If Buffalo Trace sold the water they use in distillation & tasting than I'd really get behind that & my search would be over. That's a good idea for Trace or any other Kentucky distillery, which again is what drew me to Old Limestone. (Which I hope improves the quality)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I just want to say that I'm in no way attacking or trying to force my weird self on anyone here. If you have a method that works, stick to it and truly own it. I find myself always leaning in the direction of pushing boundaries & encouraging new ways of thinking. Come to think of it so do many of you. Think about it; when you're looking for your next cigar, do you go for what's easy? Be that a Swisher Sweet or other machine made stoagie (no offense to those who enjoy them)? Of course not, the thrill of the hunt in its most primal form is what us humans were made to think. That's why we strive for that most perfect cigar and keep trying until we've found it. (& even after finding it we keep hunting).

The same goes for our Whiskey. Sure we could just settle for what's down the street at our local shop, or stick to what works, we could even settle for the mainstream (knob creek, which no offense is a place people normally start off at....not finish). That's why we go on the hunt and wait on long lists to pursue that ever-elusive whiskey, spending more than our wallets allow, & NEVER regretting one sip.

The same doesn't just have to apply to cigars & whiskey; and often times it doesn't. I drink my bourbon from a Glencairn whisky glass that I special ordered; when a tumbler from marshals would do just fine. From stemware, to cutters, lighters, humidors, Humidification, we're always striving (and hunting) for that which truly speaks to that inner caveman in us. Saying all that, why stop there? I guess that's why I'm focused on the tiniest of things such as mixing water. Please keep sharing and with an open mind & open heart (you can't go wrong with that)

Last edited: