What's new

Best "Short Filler" Cigar Ever?

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
That's why there are so many different cigars on the market, each one will tickle a different persons fancy. One thing I will say though, the cigars I posted aren't lesser cigars by any means, even when compared to this guys bigger brothers.
They aren't lesser, but they are a whole lot more illegal.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
That's why there are so many different cigars on the market, each one will tickle a different persons fancy. One thing I will say though, the cigars I posted aren't lesser cigars by any means, even when compared to this guys bigger brothers.
They aren't lesser, but they are a whole lot more illegal.
Fine, TJ. Since out of the dozen or so LP's I've had ranging from the #9 to the Unico series every one has been flat as a piece of paper, then insert any cigar you like in there.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Oh, I wasn't saying they were "lesser", just that they were a better "value," IE they cost less, but perform the same (or better). Don't get me wrong, I think the CCs listed are some of the best values in cigars out there. Prices are in line with low-end NCs, and they taste a whole lot better than similarly priced NCs.

All I was saying is that, while I love those CCs and they're a great value, I still personally prefer the Liga Privada profile, so since no one makes a "value" priced cigar with the same taste, I'm willing to spend more on a cigar that's got less of a pedigree, but meets my requirements, which in this case is simply "tastes like a Liga Privada."

Just because a kit car is made with Lamborghini parts, doesn't mean it will perform like a Lamborghini. :)
Perhaps not, but it might be worth paying just a touch more than the price of a reliably built commuter if the aesthetics and performance is "close enough"!

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
. Why did you guys opt for the tins versus using paper like you do with the
ratzilla's and UF4's?
My guess is that these need a bit more marketing. People hear short filler and may be on the fence. But if they put them in a shiny little box people get excited. DE could put the ratzilla's and UF4's in an old shoe box and they would still sell.
Either way, I'd imagine the tin is such a small fraction of the cost of producing the cigar it wouldn't make any difference to the retail price of the cigars if they had opted for paper bundles.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
The cigar is either going to sell or not, period. DE has a rep for putting out stellar product, so I think most of us will give these a shot. I personally don't see any issue with this being a "short filler" cigar. From what I have read in Mr. Saka's posts, it seems to only reflect a "short filler" in terms of the length of filler tobacco. That much attention being put into a cigar like this seems like reason enough for me to try some.

Let's be serious, how many of us have paid stupid amounts of money for LE petite robustos that were OK cigars at best? I know I am not the only one! So because the LE "OK" cigar has long filler it commands more money and we are alright with that? I think I would rather pay 6 bucks for a short filler Liga of this size than 10-12 for an LE of a slightly bigger size with long filler. Just my 2 cents.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope I will be able to get a single of these. I like small cigars, and all my cigars except for a fiver, were bought as singles.

sneak

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I hope they are fantastic. It will have to live up to the Unico name. I have a great feeling about them though. Drew Estate would never put them out without them being up to par.
I'll give it a shot. Unicos have never come close to disappointing me before. If it meets or replaces the Baitfish (yes, I know it's in a diff ballpark) as my go-to wintertime short smoke then I'll be very happy. L40 is not exactly in my wheelhouse, but I've enjoyed giving them a run no doubt...so I'll give the Papas Fritas the same chance.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think it's a shame if this cigar ever becomes judged based on the term "short-filler" and not "Liga Privada". Liga Privada carries so much brand equity among cigar smokers that I just don't think DE would release something that would potentially hurt their brand. If this cigar really was subpar I highly doubt they would throw their logo all over it. This cigar should be judged on taste and taste alone, "short-filler" designation aside. DE hasn't made much that makes me think it's not worth MSRP.

In addition can we blame them for what we feel is this need to overpay for limited production releases or cigars we desperately need to seek out. That's on us as consumers, isn't it? How can a cigar company be blamed for this? Who's fault is it if DE releases a 6 dollar cigar and we pay 10-20/stick and it doesn't live up to the hype we place on it. Does that make it worth less than the 6 dollar price tag the company suggests it should be?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you were asking what everyone thinks is the best short filler/sandwich out already.Drew Estate La Vieja Habana is a fantastic smoke, and one of my always have on hand sticks. It seems like everyone is assuming because it's made from LP cuttings it is the best out there ... won't know till they are out ... and remember what happens when you assume...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like how DE communicates with customers, cudos and I wish all cigar makers did this.

That said, all this talk about "tobacco prices", "labor prices" etc. Really?
Tobacco all of a sudden is the same price as cocoa?
Labor prices? In Central America? In Nicaragua? LOL, whatever...

I really hate how DE is turning into the Apple of the cigar world. And as such - there will be plenty of fanboys that will pay $6 for trimmings only because it has the LP logo on it. I, however, will not be buying, the same way I don't pay filet mignon prices for the cow bones I buy for my dogs.

I have a better name for this cigar than "french fry" - how about Liga Privada Cimarron? :)

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I really like how DE communicates with customers, cudos and I wish all cigar makers did this.

I really hate how DE is turning into the Apple of the cigar world. And as such - there will be plenty of fanboys that will pay $6 for trimmings only because it has the LP logo on it. I, however, will not be buying, the same way I don't pay filet mignon prices for the cow bones I buy for my dogs.

I have a better name for this cigar than "french fry" - how about Liga Privada Cimarron? :)
And you know the costs of making this cigar how?

Seriously, does anyone think they know the costs of producing lp cigars more than the president of lp?

Buy the cigar or don't, but I read this as an insult to the entire lp brand.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I, however, will not be buying, the same way I don't pay filet mignon prices for the cow bones I buy for my dogs.
You assume that costs for everyone are the same. Since you brought up the meat analogy...

I pay more per pound for soup bones than most people pay for their steak cuts at the grocery store. The reason is that rather than buying processed meat that's been inhumanely treated, pumped full of steroids and growth hormones, fed grain it's entire life, and had every other shortcut taken, sacrificing quality, and/or flavor, I purchase a small cow that's been grown by a local farmer, treated kindly, entirely grass fed, and is devoid of all those additives and hormones. No shortcuts are taken with the cow that I buy, and as as result, even the trimmings cost a bit more than most meat at the supermarket.

The same principle applies to Liga Privada's products. They take no shortcuts, so while their costs, and subsequently the prices we pay for their products, are higher than other competitors, their flavor profile is unmatched, at least in the minds of those of us who find it perfectly suited to our tastes.

I eat far less meat than most people, because I just can't afford to eat a lot of meat when I'm chosing to purchase higher quality meat that has better flavor. And I'm ok with that, because I prefer quality over quantity. Liga Privada is one reason I smoke less frequently than most people. Rather than smoke a $5 stick every other day, I'd rather smoke a $10-15 Liga once or twice a week.

And honestly, I'd prefer the rich, deep, delicious flavor of the soup broth made from the trimmings of the cow that I purchase than a bland steak from the supermarket. Like the soup bones, I'll pay more even for the Papas Fritas, the trimmings, if they taste right because I know the quality and flavor there is going to be superior. Now, at the moment, this is an argument based on principle, as we don't know how they're going to taste. But what I'm arguing is that to judge the cigar simply based on the MSRP and the fact that it's short filler is to misunderstand what it is that makes Liga Privada, Liga Privada.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seriously, does anyone think they know the costs of producing lp cigars more than the president of lp?

And I read the explanation of "tobacco prices" and "labor costs" as an insult to anyone who has the slightest idea of tobacco prices and labor cost in Nicaragua, which could both be googled, btw.

There is no tobacco the trimmings of which warrant $6/stick for a PC vitola amount of said trimmings. Not to mention, as people already said - those trimmings are paid for by the original cigar, since they make profit on the regular LP line=tobacco cost of regular LP line is paid.

1.A normal PC vitola weights less than 10g, not counting the wrapper, which is clearly not trimmings. So, 100 of those cigars make a kilo of tobacco and with a metric ton of tobacco you could make well over 100,000 cigars. That must be the most expensive tobacco in the world...Yet, as already mentioned - it's free tobacco to DE.

2. I doubt that DE is paying their workers more than $150/month and this is a generous estimate, when the average annual income in Nicaragua is ~$1000.

3. Taxes and fees? Every other cigar maker pays those, not just DE.

So, in summary, I can pay the same amount Padron charges for their 1926 line or for a bunch of trimmings (stems and veins, mostly, miniscule amount of actual leaf) from DE, weight to weight of the tobacco...Hmmmm, let me think, do I feel offended that DE thinks cigar smokers are such suckers - they don't know the difference between the watermelon and the rind?

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0

Smoking one right now and must say it is pretty good. I was skeptical on it, but would agree that had I not known it was short filler, I wouldn't have guessed.

Is it as good as a dirty rat? No. Is it a good $6 cigar? Yes. No bits of tobacco in my mouth and did hold a 3/4" ash.

There are many that will buy because it's a Liga Privada, and there are many that won't because it is this or that. To be honest, I have wasted more $ on bad cigars. Smoke one and make your own choice.

Here's a pic of the tin

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0

And I read the explanation of "tobacco prices" and "labor costs" as an insult to anyone who has the slightest idea of tobacco prices and labor cost in Nicaragua, which could both be googled, btw.

There is no tobacco the trimmings of which warrant $6/stick for a PC vitola amount of said trimmings. Not to mention, as people already said - those trimmings are paid for by the original cigar, since they make profit on the regular LP line=tobacco cost of regular LP line is paid.

1.A normal PC vitola weights less than 10g, not counting the wrapper, which is clearly not trimmings. So, 100 of those cigars make a kilo of tobacco and with a metric ton of tobacco you could make well over 100,000 cigars. That must be the most expensive tobacco in the world...Yet, as already mentioned - it's free tobacco to DE.

2. I doubt that DE is paying their workers more than $150/month and this is a generous estimate, when the average annual income in Nicaragua is ~$1000.

3. Taxes and fees? Every other cigar maker pays those, not just DE.

So, in summary, I can pay the same amount Padron charges for their 1926 line or for a bunch of trimmings (stems and veins, mostly, miniscule amount of actual leaf) from DE, weight to weight of the tobacco...Hmmmm, let me think, do I feel offended that DE thinks cigar smokers are such suckers - they don't know the difference between the watermelon and the rind?
I was going to do a big write up on product costs and the variability of said product costs, but the bottom line is that I don't care if a magic cigar fairy delivered these to DE free of cost and they decided to charge $10/each. The only thing that matters is the value I feel I'm getting for my purchase, not whether the cigars come from a certain country, are just clippings of their other cigars, etc. DE is entitled to charge whatever they want and personally, I don't need an explanation as to their product costs to justify the retail price. I'll buy a tin and decide for myself if they're worth $6/each. :)

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I can't wait to try these. Ive really become fond of small cigars and have.really enjoyed every liga ive had.

6$ a cigar is fine with me. As was stated earlier it is all select clippings. You're not getting a cigar filled with whatever they sweeped off the floor.
Ive purchased quite a few #9's, T52, and flying pigs. Probally enough to make a tin if these new cigars. If JD sent me all those excess clippings i couldn't make a cigar out of it. So I pay them to roll it for me, package it, ship it, distribute it. I also pay them so they can take the risk developing new cigars.
JD isnt trying to screw anybody. He's running a business. Business needs profit. Being able to use good tobacco that would otherwise be thrown away seems like a fine move to me, and if it means more ligas to enjoy even better.