What's new

Best video games in last 1.5 years?

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
With two young kids(2&1 yo), work, etc my PS3 time has been the thing to take a hit.
I'm totally out of the loop on what worthy games came out that I have missed...maybe you guys came help me.

So you know, my preffered types are CoD MW, infamous, metal gear, etc.

Please throw up any suggestions, thanks!

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
CoD Black Ops, Gears of War 1&2, and the Assassin's Creed series (1, 2, and Brotherhood) were some of my favorites.

If you haven't played AC, its more of an action RPG. The first is a bit repetitive, the second is better, and I'm in progress on Brotherhood.

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
Alright, boys. I got this one :p

Assassin's Creed 1, 2 and Brotherhood obviously... 1 gets a little repetitive, but is worth beating to get the storyline and the controls, and it's still a really fun game. 2 is miles better because you always feel like the missions are new and different, along with the deeper characters, etc, but has low replayability. Brotherhood is, IMO, damn near the perfect game. They tossed in a multiplayer that's actually well thought out and enjoyable, the storyline is excellent, the characters are fantastic, After you finish the main storyline there are tons of side-missions that are absolutely excellent and really add depth to characters... I could go on... I loved the game.

CoD Black Ops got mixed reviews... I think the Story Line of MW2 was better (but only by a little), and that the Multiplayer maps of MW2 were better (Black Ops maps are all pretty much run and gun with a few camping spots... If I ever snipe, I use a sniper with an Acog sight... that gives you the gist of the map size). However, it has one massive improvement - You can now play split-screen multiplayer. That may not mean much to you, but I live in a dorm and it's a blast to play with my roommate. At least then someone listens when I say "watch my back"... It's worth getting, IMO, but I kept MW2, too.

Borderlands is a fantastic First Person Shooter. The game has a gun randomizing system so there are, literally, billions of different guns in the game. They all look different, have different stats, some have elemental attributes, etc. The same goes for equipment (shields and "Class Attachments"). There's a pretty nice leveling system, 3 trees for different stats. The weapons break down into SMG, Assault Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Revolver, Repeater (automatic pistol), Shotgun, Rocket Launcher and Eridian (alien technology), and have nigh infinite variation within the categories. There are 4 characters that specialize in certain weapons, but anyone can use anything, it's just that the leveling tree boosts those weapons in particular. Another game that can be played split screen with a real life friend, or you can play the Campaign online with a random player. I've been playing this one for about 2 years solid. Between the weapon variation, the downloadable content and the multiplayer, I haven't put it down.

Little Big Planet 2 - This game doesn't do much for me alone, but when my girlfriend is over it's a ton of fun. The basic premise is a game made from a metric ****ton of mini-games of every variety and type... It's a great game to play with your significant other if she isn't a hardcore gamer, or, when your kids express interest in video games, it's extremely easy to pick up and play with them. Up to 4 people can play on the same TV, provided you have 4 controllers, and it has online multiplayer so you can team up with people you know, or people you don't.

Infamous 2 isn't out yet, but it will be soon. It looks like it's going to be excellent

Uncharted 1 and 2 are out, and number 3 is coming soon... They were sublime games, with a perfect balance of gunning, storyline and platforming... Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (the first one) scored a perfect ten, as did Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, which was better than the first, so the third (Uncharted 3: Drake's Betrayal) should be, for lack of a better word, epic. The storylines are engaging, the characters are deep and enjoyable, it has betrayal, big guns, small guns, grenades, platforming, puzzle solving, and everything in between... If you could only pick up 2 games from this list, It would be AC: Brotherhood, and Uncharted 2. Also, UC2 has online multiplayer a lot like Call of Duty in 3rd person.

God of War 3. Shouldn't need an introduction for this one... The game was stunning. Nice and bloody (so don't play around the kids) and of absolutely massive, stunning scale. Great game.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 was pretty awesome. Ninja Platforming, tons of different weapons, great combo system, etc.

Dante's Inferno - Tells the story of The Divine Comedy by Dante Alligheri, with creative license (Dante is now a demon slaying badass). The combat system is a lot like God of War, only with more moves, variations and combos... There is a lot of blood and screaming (You're in hell... go figure) so not good around children.

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 were both excellent. They're third person shooters thoroughly entrenched in the Horror genre. They didn't get much talk, but they scored excellent on reviews and were a ton of fun... And I guarantee that, at least twice in each game, you will scream like a little girl. Just expect it to happen, and enjoy the phenomenal ride.

Bioshock 1 and 2 were excellent, they were mostly run and gun, but there was a great variation of weaponry and "magic" (Genetic enhancements that let you shoot fire, ice, lighting, poison bugs, mind-control juice, etc), and the storyline was mindblowing for both... Like, head popped clean off your shoulders.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head... That should help you get started.

Go to the PSN Store and look through the Demos section, you can find a demo for 9/10, if not all of those games, so you can see if they're good for you... And if anything else catches your eye, you can get the demo for it too.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
68   0   1
Thanks for getting this rolling orangedog.
And Dr.X, epic reply bro, lemme go light a tat and then ill read it and begin my goggling...

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If you have the time, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas are great games. Bear in mind, they're 80 hour games -- so if you don't plan on investing a lot of time into one game then don't even start playing either game.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
If you have the time, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas are great games. Bear in mind, they're 80 hour games -- so if you don't plan on investing a lot of time into one game then don't even start playing either game.
same feedback I received from another friend... good games, 80+ hours each for the story

WARDOGG

Crusher of Hopes & Dreams
Rating - 100%
10   0   2
same feedback I received from another friend... good games, 80+ hours each for the story
New Vegas can be a fun game but sometimes it takes too damn long in opinion. Also, some of the buildings for the side missions are a little too vast (Don't go into the vault closest to New Vegas without a Rad suit, trust me).

I do agree with the 80+ hour thing though. This game takes forever to even get close to your final objective let alone beat it.

Dante's Inferno is another fun game. The game play and characters (the babies gave me nightmares, lol) were pretty damn cool. I did like the attack combos and stuff but found that if you were trying to maximize the character and trying to balance good and evil you can't max the character out before you hit the end. Anyone play the expansion for this? Is it any good?

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I definitely agree on both Fallout games, however, I played RDR.. For the first few hours it was AWESOME... Then I hit a speedbump... After so long, you're left to roam the world on a horse searching for missions. It was like GTA without all the fun cars, and with a dust-swept, dull, barren wasteland instead of a multidimensional city.

Just my take, I know a lot of people loved it, but it had too much downtime for me, If I want a sandbox, I break Infamous back out

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Dante's Inferno is another fun game. The game play and characters (the babies gave me nightmares, lol) were pretty damn cool. I did like the attack combos and stuff but found that if you were trying to maximize the character and trying to balance good and evil you can't max the character out before you hit the end. Anyone play the expansion for this? Is it any good?
Do a new game +, and they let you start off with your stats right where you left off, and you can crank up the difficulty... It's pretty much the only way to succeed on the higher difficulties. I'm on my 3rd playthrough with everything maxed out, and it's balls to the wall awesome demon slaying :assaultri

As for the expansions - Trials of St. Lucia was, to me, not anywhere worth it... Think of the levels of Fraud where Dante's girlfriend (the name escapes me) makes you do those 10 time trials... Now make that go on ad infinitum.... Now play it with another person who either doesn't know what their doing, or doesn't want to work as a team...

However, the Dark Forest add-on is pretty slick.

Think I spend too much time gaming? Well screw you for judging! I'm okay with it.

:help:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I just got Dante, can't wait to play it! Then again, I just got 14 games, so I'm a bit behind, lol. That's how I roll, though--just wait until the games are $20 and then buy. For Christmas I got:

Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Assassin's Creed 2
Final Fantasy 13
Dante's Inferno
Darksiders
Tomb Raider Underworld
Lord of the Rings: Conquest
Brutal Legend
Infamous
Killzone 2
Resident Evil 5
Ghostbusters
Ratchet and Clank 2

...averaged about $15/each :cbig:

As far as "best" recent games, Dr. X hit the nail pretty well. I'd add:

Metal Gear Solid 4
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Heavenly Sword
Devil May Cry 4
Resistance 2

And I'll also say that the Uncharted games are a must as well ... just great fun.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
LMK your PSN ID. We can game some time.

Metal Gear is still the best videogame made to date. My latest favorite though is Deadspace 2. The online mode was expected to flop but it is really fun, still has some bugs but its really fun and best of all its free. Plus the single player for it is just epic. I would definitely say play Deadspace 1 1-3 times through before getting Deadspace 2. You can pick up a new copy on Amazon for like $15.00 and its one of the best games you will own.

Also Devil May Cry 4 is awesome! I paid $15.00 for it and it was well worth the money. I loved DMC 1, but DMC 2 wasn't so good so I didn't get 3 or the other non-major releases. But 4 is really well made and a lot of fun.

Resident Evil 5 is great too. RE 4 was better but 5 is quite fun, and its nice to play online. It features 2 characters and when you play online you can either be Chris or Sheva and your partner will be the one you don't pick. Though Resident Evil invented the Survival Horror genre of videogames, sad to say Deadspace 1 and 2 out did RE 5 when it comes to graphics, mechanics, storyline, and gore.

WARDOGG

Crusher of Hopes & Dreams
Rating - 100%
10   0   2
Do a new game +, and they let you start off with your stats right where you left off, and you can crank up the difficulty... It's pretty much the only way to succeed on the higher difficulties. I'm on my 3rd playthrough with everything maxed out, and it's balls to the wall awesome demon slaying :assaultri

As for the expansions - Trials of St. Lucia was, to me, not anywhere worth it... Think of the levels of Fraud where Dante's girlfriend (the name escapes me) makes you do those 10 time trials... Now make that go on ad infinitum.... Now play it with another person who either doesn't know what their doing, or doesn't want to work as a team...

However, the Dark Forest add-on is pretty slick.

Think I spend too much time gaming? Well screw you for judging! I'm okay with it.

:help:
Thanks for the info Doc. I'll have to give that a whirl. I figured as much about St. Lucia, so I'll avoid that nonsense. It sounds like the same that happend on Black Ops mulitplayer zombie levels. Drives me nuts. I hadn't heard about Dark Forrest, I'll have to see if I can find it on my Xbox later.

There is no such thing as spending too much time gaming unless it affects your adult type "video game" play time then it's a problem. If you get my meaning! :agreesmil

Khaotic Medic

Professional
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little late but have to agree, CODMW2, and black ops. But my top is BFBC2 for Xbox360. Had Medal of honor but was too hyped up. kinda like the new homefront.

GTag - Khaotic Bulldog

TheCigarKid

Cigaraholic
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Check out the new Socom coming it. It takes more skill and tactics than CoD, to actually be good. It's not as fun as Socom 1 or Socom 2, but it's worthy.