What's new

Best War Movie?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just curious

What war movie do you watch no matter how often it comes on TV?

Growing up "Away all Boats" was a popular movie. It was panned by the critics and it has kind of faded into neverland but I though Jeff Chandler was spectacular.

"From Here to Eternity" is another.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Platoon. One movie I'll drop everything to watch. Saving Private Ryan is another.

I truly respect the Iraq and Afghanistan movies, but havent seen one that blows me away yet.

Always liked watching the old movies with real WW2 footage, like Battle of Midway, when I was a kid. Tora Tora Tora too. Kelleys heros.

For series, Band of Brothers and Pacific are good.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Interpreting the question broadly:
Blackhawk Down
Fury
Inglorious Bastards
Casablanca
Zero Dark Thirty
Braveheart
The Patriot

For clarity, I don't consider the "rewatchable" ones to be the best. I'd give that to films like Saving Private Ryan or The Pianist, etc. But, their gut-wrenching nature does not keep me coming back for more on a regular basis

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Saving Private Ryan is in my top 5 favorite movies period, and I’ll watch it whenever it’s on. Captain Miller asking him to “earn this” still chokes me up every single time.
The one I’m stunned hasn’t been mentioned yet is the Dirty Dozen. Such a fantastic movie, and another one that I don’t pass up a chance to rewatch.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As a child of the Vietnam era, the ones I've seen again and again:

Platoon
Apocalypse Now
The Deerhunter
Full Metal Jacket

As a couple others mentioned, these are my favorites, not necessarily the best.

And as a child of the era those are the movies I am most uncomfortable watching.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I prefer war series over a movie

More time to actually add more meaningful content

With that being said

Saving private ryan

if you want something shorter, Restrepo the documentary hits the feels.
I agree. I watch Band of Brothers every winter.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I do agree with the idea that the "best" aren't infinitely rewatchable, save the exceptions of Full Metal Jacket and Three Kings. My favorites are Black Hawk Down (one of my drill sergeants in basic was a ranger in that conflict, though he isn't named in the movie or book), Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now Redux, Saving Private Ryan, Hurt Locker, and Three Kings.