What's new

Best way to use a guillotine cutter

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I know there is a 'Perfect Cut' thread under accessories, but this is more of how to enjoy your cigar rather then being centered on an accessory needed to enjoy your cigar.

That being said, I've found the perfect way and had to share it with all of you.

Take a guillotine cutter, lay it flat on a table, stick the cigar (capped end; for the newb's) into the opening, clip and voilla! Perfect cut, every time. If you've got a larger cigar or figurado, just do the procedure a few times until the opening is as large as desired. It produces a perfectly straight cut without any bits or pieces of the cap coming undone from too much of it being cut off. Give it a shot and enjoy.

Just thought I'd share.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Depends on the cigar, but alot of times I end up with an uneven cut. The Xikar doesn't seem loose or anything. :dunno:

Fonsecakid

Fonsecakid
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that´s one of the features/advantages of the Xikar. Cleanest cut = SAK and after that the Palio - if you ask me. Zinos and Xikars are good too. Of course it´s a personal thing what suits you.

Pulse

Bite me!
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have to back up the Xigar cutting just fine comment. I do both the "lay it on the table and cut" as well as using it as a regular hold cut (that took practice) but now I get an nice cut every time...no issues..:smt102

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I seem to end up with two distinct tiers whenever I cut with the Xikar. I may just have to get in touch with them and send it in. It's getting kind of annoying.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
It's not that I don't think my Xikar cuts well on it's own, rather this way just guarantee's a good cut. None of that having to learn exactly how and where to slice the cap of the cigar off. I have cut thousands of cigars in my lifetime, and have gotten quite good at it, but I still like having this method which takes away from even having the opportunity of cutting too much, or at a poor angle, or stuttering during the cut and causing tearing, etc.
I love my xikar and this method works great when using it with it. Sure, cutting normal can work fine, so can biting off the cap! This is just something to try if you're sick of all the little tobacco bits in the first pre-light draw, or keep having your cap fall off 1/2 way through smoking the cigar.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I always like using the table method, usually if left up to me it will be too much, might unravel, etc.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I had the same issues with my Xikar when I first got it but after a conversation with customer service all was fine. The issue is with the speed of the cut. You have to snap it off quickly with the xikar to get a smooth flat cut. I also love the table method!

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
jcgoldner said:
I had the same issues with my Xikar when I first got it but after a conversation with customer service all was fine. The issue is with the speed of the cut. You have to snap it off quickly with the xikar to get a smooth flat cut. I also love the table method!
Definitely true

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tride the Table trick tonight on my smoke and it worked out pretty good.I'm afraid that if I used the Palio it would cout off too much due to it being higher up off the table..

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
OSXFreak said:
Tride the Table trick tonight on my smoke and it worked out pretty good.I'm afraid that if I used the Palio it would cout off too much due to it being higher up off the table..
Yea the palio wouldn't work. With Xikars it works great though.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
caudio51 said:
Yea the palio wouldn't work. With Xikars it works great though.
With thicker cutters (i.e. where there is too much room between the table top and the blade), I usually stick a coin under the hole in the cutter to raise the cap of the cigar to just the right level. FWIW.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I've stopped using this trick as all I use is my palio. I just pay attention to where I am cutting and I have no problems. I loved this trick when I used my xikar though

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Never tried it. I usually like my cut on the shoulder of the cap, so I have a bit of a rounded edge. It sounds to me that this is what the table tip does get you to do though.