What's new

Best Whiskey under $40

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
What you tried and liked, Lagavulin 16, is a single malt scotch. Everyone else is suggesting bourbons (which is what the buffalo trace was that you tried and did not like). Just throwing that out there in case there was any confusion. Not sure how much experience you have with "whiskey" but there are different types

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I would second the Auchentoshen. I think it's the best one at that price point (or lower)

TommyZ

Retired VCR Salesman
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
i am a huge fan of scotch (and japanese whiskys), not a fan of bourbons...which is a shame because bourbon can start at 20$, and the highly recommended stuff can be had at under 50$. scotch whisky (blends and the cheaper single malts) will typically start at 50$ and the highly recommended single malts can get to the 120$ range. thats not even counting the baller stuff that can get over 1000$ per bottle.
that said, lagavulin 16 is a scotch whisky. most of the suggestions above are bourbons.
my cheaper scotch recommendations are:
macallan 12
balvenie 12
aberlour 12
auchentoshan 12
glenrothes select reserve
these can be had for about 50 at binnys.

also, dont sleep on some of the japanese whiskys. even the cheaper hibiki harmony is surprisingly good ($65ish)

good luck...
What you tried and liked, Lagavulin 16, is a single malt scotch. Everyone else is suggesting bourbons (which is what the buffalo trace was that you tried and did not like). Just throwing that out there in case there was any confusion. Not sure how much experience you have with "whiskey" but there are different types
As you can tell I'm quit the novice when it comes to libations. Just about to turn 22 next month and have really been a beer drinker since I started drinking a couple years ago. I'll have to look more into scotchs it seems. I really liked the "smokiness" of the lagavulin, something which I've never experienced in any other drink.

Thanks for all the helpful tips all, keep them coming!

-Tom

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Smokey/Peaty scotches.... no idea of the pricing of these tho ...

Bowmore 12 - not super heavy on the peat.

Ardberg - I hated this one. But any people like it. However, by the time I tried it, I was drifting away from the heavy peat scotches.

Laphroaig 10 - loved it when I had it.

Lagavulin - like you, it was my first one and it got me to fall in love with scotch.

I don't like the heavily peated scotches anymore. I think you can generally look for scotches from the Isle of Islay to get the peat flavor so maybe browse your local liquor store and see what they have.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Laphroaig 10 year. Can be had around 40 bucks and if you like smokey, peaty scotches this one will satisfy.

As you can tell I'm quit the novice when it comes to libations. Just about to turn 22 next month and have really been a beer drinker since I started drinking a couple years ago. I'll have to look more into scotchs it seems. I really liked the "smokiness" of the lagavulin, something which I've never experienced in any other drink.

Thanks for all the helpful tips all, keep them coming!

-Tom

jonnylieberman

Ask Me About Outrage
Rating - 97.5%
53   1   0
I think you can get MacAllan 10 at Trader Joes for about $40. Good value.

The BEST bourbon for under $40 is Elijah Craig 12 Year. Hands down, no contest, no second place, whatever else you're thinking is wrong.

Eagle Rare is also great -- fun fact -- Eagle Rare is from the Buffalo Trace distillery. It's their wheated mash, the exact same mash as Pappy van Winkle. Which is also made there. Hint, hint.

I like Buffalo Trace, which has the same mash bill as Blantons. So, grab some Blantons!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
This.

I love scotch, but I generally dislike bourbon, especially cheap bourbon. It has a syrupy-sweetness to it I don't care for; I find it very similar to the effect Sumatra leaf has on a cigar, which I also don't like. (There are a few exceptions, Four Roses Single Barrel being one of them. I don't think it's under $40 though.)

As for good scotch, Lagavulin used to be my favorite, but my go to now is Talisker 10. Still has the smoke and "umph" of Lagavulin, but also a much better balance in my opinion. Trader Joes carries a single malt scotch that's really good and very inexpensive, about $18 a bottle, called Finlaggin. It's no Talisker, but it's very good for the price and is my vote for a budget scotch.

Like cigars, trying everything is the key. Hit your local bar and start sampling. Once you've tried a few, identify what you liked and disliked about them, and better recommendations can follow.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
This.

I love scotch, but I generally dislike bourbon, especially cheap bourbon. It has a syrupy-sweetness to it I don't care for; I find it very similar to the effect Sumatra leaf has on a cigar, which I also don't like. (There are a few exceptions, Four Roses Single Barrel being one of them. I don't think it's under $40 though.)

As for good scotch, Lagavulin used to be my favorite, but my go to now is Talisker 10. Still has the smoke and "umph" of Lagavulin, but also a much better balance in my opinion. Trader Joes carries a single malt scotch that's really good and very inexpensive, about $18 a bottle, called Finlaggin. It's no Talisker, but it's very good for the price and is my vote for a budget scotch.

Like cigars, trying everything is the key. Hit your local bar and start sampling. Once you've tried a few, identify what you liked and disliked about them, and better recommendations can follow.
Heading over to TJ's to pick up a bottle of this Finlaggin on lunch. I need to see this warlock.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Where are you guys finding Four Roses Single Barrel and Elmer T Lee for under $40?
Last spring I bought two ETL for $29.99. Finishing the first bottle now. I didn't find any of the fall release.

4 SB is $40-45

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I think you can get MacAllan 10 at Trader Joes for about $40. Good value.

The BEST bourbon for under $40 is Elijah Craig 12 Year. Hands down, no contest, no second place, whatever else you're thinking is wrong.

Eagle Rare is also great -- fun fact -- Eagle Rare is from the Buffalo Trace distillery. It's their wheated mash, the exact same mash as Pappy van Winkle. Which is also made there. Hint, hint.

I like Buffalo Trace, which has the same mash bill as Blantons. So, grab some Blantons!
Eagle Rare is not a wheater, it shares the same mash bill as Buffalo Trace Stagg, Stagg Jr, this is their #1 mash bill and has about 8% rye which is pretty low for Bourbon. Their #2 mash bill has 15% rye and is used for ETL, Blanton's Rock Hill Farms.

jonnylieberman

Ask Me About Outrage
Rating - 97.5%
53   1   0
Eagle Rare is not a wheater, it shares the same mash bill as Buffalo Trace Stagg, Stagg Jr, this is their #1 mash bill and has about 8% rye which is pretty low for Bourbon. Their #2 mash bill has 15% rye and is used for ETL, Blanton's Rock Hill Farms.
It's wheated.