What's new

Best Wine Cooler for a wineador?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Hey guys,

Sorry if there is a thread about this already (I think I looked pretty deep) but I'm looking to start my wineador build pretty soon and I was wondering, what wine cooler withstands the test of time the best? I'm looking at the standard 28ct wine cooler size that most everyone seems to go with. Again, sorry if this is already out there and thanks for your help!!

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Yeah, I've been curious to what everyone recommends too, but haven't had the balls to ask yet.

Any particular one better than the others?

I've seen on the BOTL members site that makes the drawers, there are some that will allow 1.5 inch slides as well as 3 inch slides. That's important to me.

-Chrisso

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
I have 2 Avanti wine coolers and love them. The others that people buy are the Vinotemp and Edgestar.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I've been extremely happy with my vinotemp. If the house temperature is at or below 76 it holds at a solid 65/65. I've had it for three, maybe four years.

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Love my edgestar....I'd avoid the newair, I had a very bad experience with it. Although some brothers have used it successfully, so maybe it's a crap shoot.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I created a thread with a poll on this a little while ago. Perhaps the results aren't accurate being that I somehow managed to leave Vinotemp out of the options.
In any case I ended up going with a Vinotemp since I could not recall hearing one bad review about them!

http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=62199
Thanks and awesome!! I'm hoping to still get some more input but I thought there may have been a poll. Thanks!

GolfNut

Wineadors.com
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
FWIW & from what I've heard from folks, as far as lifetime longevity without repairs and not comparing initial purchase price, folks have told me the following:

#1 Vinotemp VT28
#2 Avanti 28
#3 Edgestar (Now Koldfront) 28
#4 Newair AW280E

NewAir now has the AW281E model which seems awfully similar to the Edgestar 28 units, and in fact use interchangeable trays/shelves that I build. I don't know who is actually building these before they get "branded" but at least this sort of ties in with the above posts.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
FWIW & from what I've heard from folks, as far as lifetime longevity without repairs and not comparing initial purchase price, folks have told me the following:

#1 Vinotemp VT28
#2 Avanti 28
#4 Newair AW280E

NewAir now has the AW281E model which seems awfully similar to the Edgestar 28 units, and in fact use interchangeable trays/shelves that I build. I don't know who is actually building these before they get "branded" but at least this sort of ties in with the above posts.
So, the Edgestar 28 is now called Koldfront 28? Drawers are the same?

Rating - 100%
52   0   0

#1 Vinotemp VT28
#2 Avanti 28
#4 Newair AW280E

Awesome! Thanks for the list! As soon as I get fully invested in this you'll be getting an email from me!

Poriggity

CRA Ambassador #0042
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I was very happy with my Edgestar, until today, I figured out that it has stopped cooling. Luckily for me, I live in a climate where the cooling is not necessary.... Now I have come to the conclusion that it will just have to be treated like a standard non-cooling cabinet humidor. I've had it since Sept. of 2009, and it's long past the warranty period.. I think I need to do some research to see if it's fixable.
Scott

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
So two edgestars have crapped out in 2 days? I'd say that's a pretty good sign to avoid that brand : p

Poriggity

CRA Ambassador #0042
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So two edgestars have crapped out in 2 days? I'd say that's a pretty good sign to avoid that brand : p
Very possibly a fluke. I am still very happy with the unit, it does what it needs to do, but temp. control is not a major concern for me. That being said, I paid $200 for this unit 3 years ago. To buy a standard humidor that is the same size as this unit would have probably cost 2-3 times as much money.. So, even though the temp control portion does not appear to be operating on my unit, I still feel like it's a very good buy in the cubic inch per dollar arena.

Scott

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
It definitely comes down to wether or not you need it to keep cooling. Living in Florida, I'd be out of luck for 9 months a year if mine didn't cool.

I say create a new poll, include all the popular options and leave it open for a long time.