What's new

Big changes coming here

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
After 20+ years in the aviation industry, and the last 10+ in the engineering field, I have decided that I will be going back to school to get an engineering degree. I have been working as a non-degreed engineer at a major airline, however, over the past 6 months, my job has changed. Instead of working for a smart man that understands we are all individuals, I now work for a complete moron who thinks he knows everything. My job went from working 10-12 hours per day (mind you, the work wasn't hard) and on call 24/7, to struggling to find enough work to cover an hour of my day. Regardless, different story for a different day.

Anyhow, after my approximately 308th rejection letter for not having a degree, I have decided to get one. My game plan is lined out, and, contingent on no major hiccups, I will be done by the time my kids are ready FOR college.

Anyhow, I don't even know if I will be accepted to the college I applied for, but, I have a couple of backup plans.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Good luck, buddy. I went back to school in my 30s with a somewhat similar plan -- to get an undergrad degree in EE -- but now find myself on the verge of a Ph.D. I got involved in research, enjoyed it, and then stuck around. Anyway, it's never too late! Best of luck.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Good luck, buddy. I went back to school in my 30s with a somewhat similar plan -- to get an undergrad degree in EE -- but now find myself on the verge of a Ph.D. I got involved in research, enjoyed it, and then stuck around. Anyway, it's never too late! Best of luck.
My wife is very excited, and happy and all the other junk women do, I on the other hand, have a stomache in knots, wondering what the hell am I thinking?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I went back in my mid 20's and just finished my business degree, and I plan to continue into a web development program here in the near future. I tip my hat to you for going back. I botched two previous attempts being stupid in my early 20's now I look forward to the challenges my professors give me! You will be fine, sounds like you have an excellent work effort, you should have no problems! Congrats!

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
God I hope you guys are right. I am awash with fear. The last schooling I have dealt with besides aircraft specific training, was 2 years of tech school when I was 19. Hell, I graduated that before Spanky was born. That should give you some idea as to why I'm nervous.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I went back 4 years ago for much of the same reason. I got tired of taking meetings and at the intro everybody listed where they went and what their degree was in. With the advent of online classes I'm sure it's easier now than it's been you'll be fine. My advice take some softball classes to get acclimated to being back in school and you don't get frustrated. Even tho I took the majority of my classes online I will say most math classes are better taken in a face to face format. Unless your a math genius then whatever lol. Good luck oh one more thing Chegg and amazon saves you tons on books the university stores are a business for profit lol

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Dont worry about it dude...

There was almost a 20 year break between my undergrad studies and the time I decided to go back to school and pursue my masters...

I found that I was a FAR more focused and substantially better overall student as an adult..

It took a couple of classes to get into the proper swing of things, learn study habits, etc.. but after that.. it really wasnt all that "hard"... just have to put the time and the energy into it.. and you'll be fine..

I actually enjoyed my last degree program....

the current one however... SUCKS! :)

(I enrolled in another advanced degree program almost immediately after finishing my masters program last year)...

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Good luck oh one more thing Chegg and amazon saves you tons on books the university stores are a business for profit lol
half.com

where I probably bought 70% of my text books... many of them for less than the actual cost of shipping them...

I probably bought $2,000 in books for the first year of law school there.. for less than $250 including shipping....

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Do it up bro! Advanced degrees are commonplace now. There are a few fields where you can skirt by, but they are drying up and you hit the ceiling pretty quickly like your experiencing now. It will mean more to you with your life experience than it will to the younger kids who are still immature and have lollipops envisioned in their future...

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Don't sweat going back. I was scared to death of going to college after six years in the USAF. Unfounded fear but I was scared I'd fail and waste money/time. Well I killed it and made all the 18yo kids look like super brainless slackers and all I did was show up to class and take notes.

You'll be fine! Hell You'll rock it.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
There is a recurring theme going on here, an outpouring of support for someone most of you haven't met. Strike that, all except one of you haven't met.

I do appreciate it. Thank you all. The recent #ECB contest that was put on. This. This here is what BOTL means to me.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going back to school is always hard, I feel like once we reach a certain age the brain isn't like a sponge anymore and learning becomes more difficult.
Good luck!

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Yeah a big props to you man for trying to better yourself and career situation. I do however think companies can miss out on great employees by requiring degrees. I can understand requiring it for certain positions for young people that don't have real life experience, but to flat out say no to you who has good working experience is crazy to me. I know employers can get flooded with resumes and they have to start somewhere weeding out people, but recruiters/HR people shouldn't slack and at least take a phone interview if they see good experience on a resume.

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
^^^ tell me about it. I have three directors from two different major companies wanting to hire me for 6 figure field service positions, but since I don't have a degree...