What's new

Big Merger in Cigars

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
They're not small but they don't even make their own cigars, they have someone else do it. More of a marketing company IMO

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
CAO makes some of my favorites. What bothers me is to see a family run business sell out to a large company. There are several premium cigar companies that are family run and I think the family involvement can make a difference. When the family is no longer there to protect their name, then profit and margin start to take precedence. I've seen it happen with other products, I hope it doesn't happen with cigars.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
CAO makes some of my favorites. What bothers me is to see a family run business sell out to a large company. There are several premium cigar companies that are family run and I think the family involvement can make a difference. When the family is no longer there to protect their name, then profit and margin start to take precedence. I've seen it happen with other products, I hope it doesn't happen with cigars.
Knowing the management of CAO I dont think it will. Cano has too much invested in it. By the way Welcome. Stop by the intro thread and tell us about yourself.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
This smells like the fulfillment of the family dream. Get big and cash in before Dad dies so they can all reap the benefits together.

From my POV CAO did not need to be purchased by anyone to achieve anything.

Wintermans likely gave them an offer they just could not refuse and they decided to cash in on their success.
:yes: I couldn't agree more.

As others have already said, they were more about marketing than manufacturing.

Cigar_Jack

BoM May 05
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I believe Torano makes a large portion of the CAO cigars. I'll be watching a waiting to see what happens. The CAO Mx2 was one of my first cigars I tried when I started to get serious about smoking.

I've seen mergers in others businesses like this. Both companies from a manufacturing point probably won't change. What they both really need is each others distribution networks it sounds like.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
This smells like the fulfillment of the family dream. Get big and cash in before Dad dies so they can all reap the benefits together.

From my POV CAO did not need to be purchased by anyone to achieve anything.

Wintermans likely gave them an offer they just could not refuse and they decided to cash in on their success.
:applause:

Amen brother. Anytime I've mentioned CAO I've always said I love to hate them. They are just a marketing machine, which they happen to be particularly good at. Tim is very hip, as indicated by his previous profession as a stand up comic. I just despise a company that has all their product made by someone else. I've never liked CAO and this will no doubt cement my image of them.

Cigar_Jack

BoM May 05
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
They may not own the factory that rolls the cigars but they still decide on the tobacco that goes into the cigars to get the blend I want. Why spend all the money building a factory when you can pay someone else to do it and focus where YOUR talents are? Even if they are a Marketing company they make some damn fine cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the CAO marketed by Wintermans will be very familiar to the CAO we see today. However, when Tim is gone (what is it, five years?), all bets are off.