What's new

Bikes

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
When I was a kid I was pretty big into BMX... I raced quite a bit, etc...

When I got older I moved into mountain bikes.. my most recent was a very nice Specialized Rock Hopper... but got rid of it about 4 years ago after not riding it for a long time (a couple of years).. and have been bikeless ever since..

Im in the process of trying to get my old butt back into shape.. and am trying to find some alternative cardio options that will have lower impact on my bad knee(s)..

So I went and picked up this today:

Ive never owned a hybrid before.. but I think I'll enjoy it quite a bit.. a little more comfort than a road bike.. but a little more speed and much more suited for paved surfaces than a mountain bike (most of where I want to go will be paved roads or paved bike trails/paths.. or hard packed trails... I wont be doing any true "trail" or off road riding..

Anybody else here ride?

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Used to... 60 plus miles a week, minimum all on road. Then the kids came... Can't break away long enough to get my tubby ass back onto a bike. Miss it really bad.

These days, I've been swimming laps pushing my kids in a floaty... Trying to get hip to the jogging stroller before my daughter gets too big... We'll see.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Well, I HATE biking. But, the short amounts of time I live at home for... I only allow myself to watch TV while riding the bike in the exercise room.

Fortunately my knees have quite a lot of life left in them, so I get to keep running instead.

ETA: Just noticed your sig. Mother******.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Have a Gary Fisher mountain bike I don't ride nearly enough. It's been mostly road and paved path lately, but love getting in a good trail ride when I can. Nothing like riding through the woods... I'm sure it'll be harder to find time to do once the second kiddo gets here though!

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I enjoy biking. Just bought a mountain bike to get back in the groove of things. Used to ride a lot years ago. Great exercise! Enjoy brother.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I have been thinking of getting back into racing. Ever since I broke my elbow the 2nd time I dropped out of it. Its a custom 21 1/4 fame build by Brew that is bare metal with a bad clear coat, propers wheels, FSA Pig Headset, S&M Redneck stem, Shadow chain, Poverty brake lever, Odyssey 99er seat, My 3 piece cranks and chainwheel are escaping my memory I want to say 3 piece demolish cranks and a 30 tooth eatern wheels, S&M 101 pedals, S&M Slam Bars, S&M Pitchfork, S&M Seat post, and maxxis holy rollers.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
lol...

I just took what Sean had in fine print... and put it in big, bold, red, letters :)

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
So about the bikes, how much are you hoping to ride? Spandex, or no?

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Was into Bmx then freestyle flatland and 1/4 pipe. Man I'm so amazed when I watch xgames. Back then a 540 was the last trick of the show and it took 3 or 4 tries. Now it's back to back with bar spins. Lol. Lookin at gettin the fam bikes I guess hybrids as well. No spandex tho....no..uh uh. Lol

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I'm thinking ill ride 1 day a week... Maybe 8-10 miles to start... Not really looking for this to be a primary exercise source so much as an alternative and something "fun" to do...

I did buy a pair of spandex shorts with the built in padded taint protector lol... But I'll be wearing "regular" shorts over the top of those... Nobody wants to see me in spandex I promise you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
This thread title had me thinking very differently.

I'm old and peddle bikes are for younger people :). With the invention of the gas powered engine I see no need for peddle bikes anymore :).

When I was a younger lad I competed in BMX events too. It was fun and all that. But now i'd have a heart attack or get run over by the cars on the road.

Good luck in your quest mdwest. I truly admire your enthusiasm.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I bought a Raleigh hybrid 3 yrs ago and love it. Just got it out last week and hopefully I'll get a short ride in this weekend. Taint padding is a must with this style saddle.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I'm thinking ill ride 1 day a week... Maybe 8-10 miles to start... Not really looking for this to be a primary exercise source so much as an alternative and something "fun" to do...

I did buy a pair of spandex shorts with the built in padded taint protector lol... But I'll be wearing "regular" shorts over the top of those... Nobody wants to see me in spandex I promise you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The first time i put on a pair of shorts with the taint pad, Nicole asked if I'd shit my pants... I rode with shorts over them, but then realized I stayed cooler with only one pair of shorts on.

That said, I dinner think I could ever ride with ones of those Spandex jerseys... That would gross the neighbors out more, I think.