What's new

Birthday Cigars

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm going to be having my first child (a boy) in about 6 weeks. I was given the great idea to get a box of cigars and smoke one each year on his birthday, and eventually smoke one with him when he's old enough. This has led me to a debate.

I'm uncertain which box of cigars to do this with. My first thought was the obvious My Father cigars. But they're not my favorite (although they're close). My next thought was a box of Padron Annni's, which made me think, it might be fun to go with my favorite overall cigar, the Padron 2000 and see how that many years of rest changes them.

So I want to know what cigar you've done this with, or would choose if you were doing the same thing? I'll let you all know when I make up my mind.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I definitely go with Padron thousands. The Anniversary will probably age out over time and the thousands will only get better. Plus you can't go wrong with the price.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Hosh is right, but my experience has shown me that the regular Padrons (1000-7000) age really well for about 5-6 years and then need to be smoked. It's like hey age out. My suggestion would be something special. A box of Opus, Fuente Anejos, Tatuaje Unicos or even a box of RASS if you are able to get your hands on some of the forbidden fruit, the RASS age really well and are a terrific smoke.

Congrats on your child's birth.

Last edited:

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
My suggestion would be something special. A box of Opus, Fuente Anejos, Tatuaje Unicos or even a box of RASS if you are able to get your hands on some of the forbidden fruit, the RASS age really well and are a terrific smoke.
Yep, congrats man. :) And I agree with both above saying the Padron over the My Father because they would age better. But if you can afford it, do what Bill suggested and get something special, something you might not normally buy. Opus age very well and most cubans do too.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
aging nicaraguans long term ? I gather is good at best .
Padron 2k would age fabulously, up only until a x amount of years though.

dominicans (AF 858 /DC/ Opus) and CC's yield superior decades aged product ... I believe.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Over 25 years a LOT of cigars are going to age out. Pick something you love and that has some long-term potential. I like D Quintero's advice, Don Carlos or Opus would be a good option. That or CC's.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you are going to age the same box I say Cubans. What I do is go to my B and M and smoke something special every year around my son's birthday. No theme just something good. I do the same thing on father's day. Now that I will have two children I will probably step up and buy some Cubans to age.

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Congrats to you and your wife, Acefisher1! I agree with a box of Don Carlos. My son will be turning 1 soon and I was thinking of buying a box to celebrate his birthdays with too.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I know I've shared this before, but I bought an HQ box of RASS with my son's birth month and year for the production date. One down, and another 17 before we share the rest (at least that is what I'm telling the wife...).

I can't imagine not enjoying a 20 year old Specially Selected.