What's new

Bitcoin

Rating - 95.5%
24   1   0
Could anyone out there explain in laymans terms what this Bitcoin currency is all about. If you do know about it, explain it to me like I'm a dog that got hit in the head with a hammer. I consider myself to be of average intelligence, but I just don't get this. If it does in fact work and is legal it looks like you could save some good money. 10% ain't nothin' to sneeze at. Any help is appreciated.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
If it can be explained in laymans terms, I haven't heard it yet. It is a virtual currency. That sounds pretty 'out there'....at least until you start to question real currency. Have some Tylenol close by.

I consider investing in Bitcoin to be too risky for me. There are a lot of negatives: no government backing or security; and governments are trying hard to learn to follow the bitcoins...largely because they are reportedly most widely used for drugs, money laundering, people in Greece, guys with tin foil hats, etc.

Investing doesn't interest me. But, I think buying exactly what you need for a single transaction MIGHT make sense to some at 10%. A big problem with that is that even though Bitcoins are somewhat secure, the brokers may not be. I know a 16 year old who was recently arrested as part of a complex scheme that ripped off bitcoin transfer houses to make overseas drug transactions. Not sure who lost the money, but I'm going to bet it was buyers who used credit cards or bank accounts to purchase bitcoins. If possible, I'd use a single use credit card for any bitcoin transactions.

Rating - 95.5%
24   1   0
If it can be explained in laymans terms, I haven't heard it yet. It is a virtual currency. That sounds pretty 'out there'....at least until you start to question real currency. Have some Tylenol close by.

I consider investing in Bitcoin to be too risky for me. There are a lot of negatives: no government backing or security; and governments are trying hard to learn to follow the bitcoins...largely because they are reportedly most widely used for drugs, money laundering, people in Greece, guys with tin foil hats, etc.

Investing doesn't interest me. But, I think buying exactly what you need for a single transaction MIGHT make sense to some at 10%. A big problem with that is that even though Bitcoins are somewhat secure, the brokers may not be. I know a 16 year old who was recently arrested as part of a complex scheme that ripped off bitcoin transfer houses to make overseas drug transactions. Not sure who lost the money, but I'm going to bet it was buyers who used credit cards or bank accounts to purchase bitcoins. If possible, I'd use a single use credit card for any bitcoin transactions.

Yeah, I think your absolutely right. Getting one of those single use cards is a great idea. The fact that it has no gov't backing is scary too. I believe Thailand has made Bitcoin use illegal. I'm guessing because of their hash and heroin problems.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Theres a black market site where you can buy anything from cigars to drugs to guns with Bitcoins and it's completely anonymous ans untraceable because it doesn't operate on standard internet or something

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STAY AWAY FROM IT.

Anything "virtual" referring to a commodity/currency is dangerous(take a look at the economy:yes:). It's primary purpose is for acquisition of drugs on the black market and to circumvent regulated ways of transferring funds.
It's being watched, that's a guarantee.

Could anyone out there explain in laymans terms what this Bitcoin currency is all about. If you do know about it, explain it to me like I'm a dog that got hit in the head with a hammer. I consider myself to be of average intelligence, but I just don't get this. If it does in fact work and is legal it looks like you could save some good money. 10% ain't nothin' to sneeze at. Any help is appreciated.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I've used Bitcoins and dont see any issues. I would never keep any significant amout in bitcoins though.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
At the moment it's effective for money laundering, and you have it actively traded and converted to/from "real" currencies on some currency markets. However, at the time of the Chinese/Russian/US gov'ts' choosing, they could crush the shit out of it at will. Of course they'll short it massively first, but that's how institutional investors wipe out day traders who act contrary to their interests.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
STAY AWAY FROM IT.

Anything "virtual" referring to a commodity/currency is dangerous(take a look at the economy:yes:). It's primary purpose is for acquisition of drugs on the black market and to circumvent regulated ways of transferring funds.
It's being watched, that's a guarantee.
For sure. It's trivial for governments to pop the servers where exchanges are made. No point in taking them down as long as they don't pose a threat to paper. Instead it's better intelligence to see who's actively trading what with whom, especially overseas. This is all black market criminal-to-criminal though. Governments still pay real criminals with real paper.

Rating - 95.5%
24   1   0
At the moment it's effective for money laundering, and you have it actively traded and converted to/from "real" currencies on some currency markets. However, at the time of the Chinese/Russian/US gov'ts' choosing, they could crush the shit out of it at will. Of course they'll short it massively first, but that's how institutional investors wipe out day traders who act contrary to their interests.
So, your saying big trading houses would have a fire sale on bitcoins just to fuck some day traders .

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
While pretty technical at times, Wikipedia has a good article on Bitcoin. The big knock of course is from statists and governments who fear it since it allows individuals to operate outside of tax jurisdictions.

CAJoe

King Dude
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Bitcoins make me nervous. They are just there with no backing at all. If someone figured out how to hack the whole thing and dump a billion bitcoins in the system it would destroy the whole thing. It has happened once before. Also because of the whole issue of it being a way around taxes and such if it keeps growing governments will find a way to tax or ban them.