What's new

Bitter! (cause??)

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purched some NC's a couple weeks ago and I just couldn't wait so I lit up a MF connecticut ,its a robusto and it was real bitter,I could taste it on the inhale!
The first two thirds were hard to smoke the last third was tolerable but MAN it was bad.
The burn line..Perfect
The draw..Pefect
held an ash all the way to the first band.
I have had several of these before and they were great, so are these just young or did I just not let them rest long enough? (shipping sickness)
I'm an impatient guy and have fired up sicks way to soon after buying them but have never had anything like this. I have more resting so I will try some later but... :wtf:
Could it be just "One of those things?"
I also got some Guardian of the Farm in the same shipment and they were fantastic
Need some help from you more experienced smokers

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
It's funny you're talking about this because a friend and I were talking about the same issue with a box of Mil Dias! He smoked 2? Terrific. Then the third one he smoked was harsh and bitter. So we both smoked the next 2 without any issue. They tasted great! So I'm going to chalk it up to the old catch-all of it being a handmade product? If the rest of the sticks from that purchase are bitter there may be more to it. But I hope that's all it is.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You said you are an "impatient" guy. I know if I smoke too fast cigars can get bitter. Especially a light bodied cigar like a connie where you may not realize how fast you are drawing. When the bitterness got noticeable you probably slowed down a bit and the flavors returned. As far as being fresh, not sure cause I don't smoke anything ROTT but if they where damp, sure you can have combustion problems without burn line issues.

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny you're talking about this because a friend and I were talking about the same issue with a box of Mil Dias! He smoked 2? Terrific. Then the third one he smoked was harsh and bitter. So we both smoked the next 2 without any issue. They tasted great! So I'm going to chalk it up to the old catch-all of it being a handmade product? If the rest of the sticks from that purchase are bitter there may be more to it. But I hope that's all it is.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

My 'Go-to" with cigars is "What did I do wrong" The NC's I have bought had real good construction with no problems, I have some CC's and two of them in the box.. I swear they where fire proof :LOL: the rest where good

I am hoping this was a one off situation,I have really enjoyed the MF connecticut in the past.

You said you are an "impatient" guy. I know if I smoke too fast cigars can get bitter. Especially a light bodied cigar like a connie where you may not realize how fast you are drawing. When the bitterness got noticeable you probably slowed down a bit and the flavors returned. As far as being fresh, not sure cause I don't smoke anything ROTT but if they where damp, sure you can have combustion problems without burn line issues.

See I was wondering about this the burn was great.
I slowed way down on the second Third and it was still bad. I also have smoked too fast and found the same thing but not to this extent.
I always assumed that wet sticks would have visible burn issues but that's not the case??

Edit: I have also gotten them WAY to hot when lighting them and found a bitter flavor for the first inch but again not to this extent

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
slow down lighting a cigar, be gentle.

better to have to light again than to over burn it.

the bitter cigar, how was the draw?

could it have been poorly filled, too loose ?

also, most vendors keep stock on the moist side, too wet and you get bitter.

I always open the cello and let NCs dry down for a few days before I store them.

I like NCs at 65 to 67 % if possible.

it will take a cigar in cello weeks to lose moisture unless you help it out.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Just out of curiosity was it raining outside?

I have found that when I am smoking outside when it is raining, has recently rained, or is foggy outside I almost always have an issue with my cigar "tarring up" or/or turning bitter.

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
slow down lighting a cigar, be gentle.

better to have to light again than to over burn it.

the bitter cigar, how was the draw?

could it have been poorly filled, too loose ?

also, most vendors keep stock on the moist side, too wet and you get bitter.

I always open the cello and let NCs dry down for a few days before I store them.

I like NCs at 65 to 67 % if possible.

it will take a cigar in cello weeks to lose moisture unless you help it out.

I learned my lesson on improper lighting!!! :wtf:

the draw was excellent.

I didn't open the cellos I just tossed them in he humidor, they were only in there for a week. (thanks for that tip on the cello it never occurred to me to do that)

It was box pressed and felt good, no soft spots (that I noticed anyway)

I keep my NC,s with my CC,s at 63 to 65%

I like the idea of letting them dry out before storage that's something that can be easily done!

Just out of curiosity was it raining outside?

I have found that when I am smoking outside when it is raining, has recently rained, or is foggy outside I almost always have an issue with my cigar "tarring up" or/or turning bitter.

It was not raining, it was about 80 degrees and clear
so how fast do the leaves absorb moisture??? Holy shit turning bitter while smoking!
I don't have a covered area so I don't smoke in the rain ...I have in the snow however

Thanks to all of you for the help!!!

It sounds like this is a self inflicted injury ,I just had to smoke the new stickes I got...just couldn't wait.... seeing new cigars in the humidor is where my self control ends i guess.
(I will have to fix that)
so.. ill dry them out before storage, open the cellos and wait a couple weeks (or more) before smoking them.