What's new

Bitter Cigar

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veteran's Home of Wyoming, Buffalo, Wyoming
So, a couple days ago I smoked a Don Carlos 80th Anniversario Personal Reserve, and it was extremely bitter the entire time.

It was in the same tupperdor, at the same rh as others I got at the same time, I have smoked several and they were great, and with no bitterness.

Anyone have a clue what was going on with this one?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bitter from the start, or bitter after some smoking? Have had that happen with tar build up, have had it accumulate as quickly asthe first half inch or so. Usually, clipping it back a little bit from the head removes the built up tar that is there and alleviates the issue.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bitter from the start, or bitter after some smoking? Have had that happen with tar build up, have had it accumulate as quickly asthe first half inch or so. Usually, clipping it back a little bit from the head removes the built up tar that is there and alleviates the issue.
It started immediately and lasted all the way through

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I got out a My Father Flor de las Antillas (one of my favorites) cut it and then tested the draw and there was NO resistance at all.

I posted a bitter cigar thread a while ago and got some advise and it has worked vary well ,I take more time lighting and dont get the foot so hot, smoke slower and this has worked real well!

I found this MF was under filled and soft, it was also bitter but with it being under filled I would assume it will always burn to hot do to the amount of air you can pull through

is this a correct assumption ???

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't really say if I have ever had a cigar that I noticed was under filled, but have had many with extremely open draws, and maybe being under filled was the reason, but regardless, never had one bitter like this was for sure.

At this point I'm going with the "organic product, totally hand made, crap happens" answers I have gotten.

Seems to make the most sense to me

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I've been surprised by how much a change of beverage can impact the cigar experience...did you try a new drink with this one?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I couldn't imagine not having a beverage to freshen my palate. Even something like tea or weak lemonade seems to unclog my taste buds.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I couldn't imagine not having a beverage to freshen my palate. Even something like tea or weak lemonade seems to unclog my taste buds.
I consciously pace myself to smoke really slowly to make the enjoyment last longer, so my palate seems to have enough time between puffs to recover.

I do keep saying to myself that I'm going to drink some water with my Cigar but always forget it

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It's kind of like pairing wine or good liquor with good food 1 + 1 > 2 a whole new set of flavors present themselves. But if you enjoy your cigars "straight" that's the way to smoke them!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's kind of like pairing wine or good liquor with good food 1 + 1 > 2 a whole new set of flavors present themselves. But if you enjoy your cigars "straight" that's the way to smoke them!
I've actually never really tried drinking anything specifically chosen when I smoke. I no longer drink alcohol, don't really drink soda, so its pretty much coffee or water and I'm a little concerned that coffee would drown out some of the flavors, although I know many people drink it while smoking, so I really should give it a try with a stronger Cigar and see how it goes.

I really only smoke mild and medium cigars anymore though

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
They say to match the color of your coffee to the color of your cigar. I think that's a pretty good guide. A morning cigar with a cup of coffee is one of life's pleasures. Rocky Patel I'm told would drink hot tea when blending new cigars, that works for me also. Water with bubbles does a good job of cleansing the palate, We had a thread on the forum a while back and I believe it was decided that the only drink that doesn't enhance a cigar is "MILK"

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
They say to match the color of your coffee to the color of your cigar. I think that's a pretty good guide. A morning cigar with a cup of coffee is one of life's pleasures. Rocky Patel I'm told would drink hot tea when blending new cigars, that works for me also. Water with bubbles does a good job of cleansing the palate, We had a thread on the forum a while back and I believe it was decided that the only drink that doesn't enhance a cigar is "MILK"
I am with boudie on that one. As for the beverage you got to get some different things you like and try it. Sometimes regular coffee just ant gonna do it. Esspresso or a latte. Even some food can complement, cheese and crackers chocolate, brahnswager and crackers just a little snack type food get creative shipmate.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am with boudie on that one. As for the beverage you got to get some different things you like and try it. Sometimes regular coffee just ant gonna do it. Esspresso or a latte. Even some food can complement, cheese and crackers chocolate, brahnswager and crackers just a little snack type food get creative shipmate.
No access to espresso or latte here, and since we have to smoke outside, food isn't really an option either.