What's new

Bitter sweet day Friday 12/28/12

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
Yesterday I retired after 38 years with the US Forest Service at the age of 56.
Wow what a Great Job it has been, I’ve worked and fought fire in almost all 50 states, seen some county that I would luv to see again and some places I wouldn’t want to return ever again lol…..This Job has allowed me to be involved in some very interesting projects from working on a six month detail in Washington DC doing Aviation management safety, to Hurricane relief in NOLA, FL,TX to Humanitarian relief in Guam.

I started as a rookie fire fighter at 18, from 1978 to 1993 I was a Fire Captain on Engine Crews, Hotshot Crews, Helicopter Crews, I did everything but jump out of airplanes ( Two things that fall from the sky, fools and bird shit), in 1993 I had a total Hip Replacement, so at a young age of 37 I then became a Law Enforcement /Fire Dispatcher. I was still adrenal junkie so dealing with all the emergency calls, life flights, fires all the things a Dispatcher loves I was back in heaven, again I worked my way to a Captain as a shift supervisor, and then on to a Battalion Chief supervising a Command Center. What a great job this has been. This job had allowed me to Move to other part of the county, from Northern CA, to Southern CA, to OR, to Northern MN, to SC, as with any new job or area come new people to work with and supervise, and all the things like new homes, new friends, a new life at each adventure, but like any other place this Government Agency has changed (not like the old days, some for the good and most for the bad) so it was time to turn it over to the younger guys/gals…….

For any of u that work or have worked in the emergency service or any job long term and have given ur whole life to a job, U will understand the feelings of walking out of the fire station for the last time, That was the Bitter sweet part of this as I walked to the car, eyes leaking lil, heart pounding lil like a rookies 1st day, but it felt great ….Will I miss it ? Yes and No. No more midnight calls, no more lost people in the woods, no more calls from dispatchers asking how to fix a computer program or radio system going down in the middle of the incident, Will I miss the action Yes, I will still stay involved when the bigger fires hit, as Call when needed Dispatcher and contract for teaching courses.

It is time for a new chapter in Big Dawgs life, travel, relaxing, NASCAR, and smoking cigars, My travel will start in Feb. to the Cigar Safari in Esteli Nicaragua –N- I can’t wait, and from there enjoy life…...

What a Great Saturday it is …………:thumbsup:

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Congratulations on your retirement. Great story, and thank you for your service! :thumbsup: Any special cigar today?

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Big congrats to you Brad! I have spent a lot of time "in the woods" and thank you for your service! I still have a ways to go before I can hang'em up so I'm quite jealous, but can understand the bittersweet aspect of walking away from 36 years of your life!

Enjoy Nicaragua and the rest of your retirement adventures!

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Congrats Brad

I look forward to meeting you in a little over a month on the Nica trip!

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Congratulations on your retirement! It must have been tough to leave, but now you can focus on yourself and the ones you love! Enjoy every minute!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
dude, congrats and thanks for all the years you gave helping to keep people safe! remember that change is not bad, and endings and beginnings can be the same thing at times: listen to your heart, and your loved ones, and you will always find some direction.

oh, and burn an irreplaceable cigar, man, YOU EARNED IT! o)

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
Congratulations man... Have fun in Nicaragua. I wish I purchased my ticket prior to being sold out!

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Brad you are a great example of what the fire service in this country has and continues to produce. Quality! God bless you for all the years you have GIVEN along with your family. One day I hope to be writing the same sentiments. What a change in just the 10 yrs I've been full time. I can't imagine what youve seen in 38! You're a great brother and I wish nothing but the best retirement for you. I hope to be able to herf with you in the near future and once again go over the battle stories with you. May god bless you with many more years of good health in retirement.
J

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Congratulations Brad....38 years is quite an accomplishment!!!

Take care and enjoy your retirement. The best advice that I can give is to find something to keep you occupied so you don't go stir crazy. With Travel, Cigars and NASCAR it sounds like you've already got some good prospects!