What's new

Black Cavindish...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
K, so I've pretty well narrowed it down...Black Cavendish happens to be my fave pipe tobacco...although, I haven't been smoking my pipe enough to figure out how to keep it from getting SUPER hot...so much so that it greatly changes the flavor. And, does anyone else have problems w/ the extra condensation and gurgles in your pipe?....Especially when smoking BC?
Any specific tips from fellow BC smokers....for a novice would be appreciated. :eek:)
Thanks in advance! :eek:D

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Cavendish is often cased, so it wouldn't surprise me if you see worse gurgling than with entirely natural tobaccos. The advice I'd offer is the usual thing -- smoke slow and try not to slobber. :drool:

Also, one thing I do to salvage a wet pipe during the smoke is to run a pipe cleaner down to soak up some of the moisture. Give that a try.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I smoke a fair amount of Black Cavendish, and I think that moisture definitely can be excessive with it. I have even sometimes run a cleaner down the stem (but not up into the bowl) mid smoke if I get a gurgle. I'm not sure if it has to do with whatever Black Cav is cured in/with, or what, but you aren't alone.

Docbp87

Smoke Into Oblivion
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Oh, and as for burning hot... Pipes are going to smoke hotter than cigars, no matter what. That's just how they work... but smoking slower makes a difference, and the way to smoke slower with a pipe is the make sure that the tobacco is packed properly. If you have a perfect pack, then you should be able to draw only two, maybe 3 times per minute, which will allow for much cooler smoking.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
All this info is spot on...

Also, any pipe tobacco that is flavored, or cased, will have that excessive moisture and tend to burn hotter, along with the tongue bite, as the moisture basically turns to steam from the heat.

I always have issues with not letting those type of tobaccos smoke nice and slow. Another possible solution for this... but I never know far enough in advance, if you are going to regularly smoke and know about when... you can leave some the tobacco out to dry just a bit. Kinda like dry-boxing for pipe tobacco.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
All this info is spot on...

Also, any pipe tobacco that is flavored, or cased, will have that excessive moisture and tend to burn hotter, along with the tongue bite, as the moisture basically turns to steam from the heat.

I always have issues with not letting those type of tobaccos smoke nice and slow. Another possible solution for this... but I never know far enough in advance, if you are going to regularly smoke and know about when... you can leave some the tobacco out to dry just a bit. Kinda like dry-boxing for pipe tobacco.
I also take some of my cased tobacco out in advance which in my opinion greatly enhances the experience.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Usually the "gurgling" is from the oil's in the Tobacco and not slobbering down the pipe stem. I pull the bit out and use a pipe cleaner to sop it and then replace it. Drying and smoking slower will help.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I tend to smoke my pipe in the morning, so I put my tobacco out in a small bowl the night before to dry. I smoke mostly Danish blend so heat is an issue. If your bowl starts to heat up just put it down for a few and relight.