What's new

Blackwatch 40 Ct. Humidor question

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a Blackwatch 40 Ct. Travel Humidor (Plastic), as long as I throw a Boveda Pack in there can I store cigars long term?

I'd appreciate the chime in!

Do I treat it like a tupperdor?

Last edited:

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You'll need to season it first, but then yes you can store cigars for long term. As long as temperature stays around 65 and humidity is maintained I smoked a cigar that was my grandfathers and was about 25 years old.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Are you talking about the Travel Humidor?

If so, then sure you can. But I personally just travel with a bunch of sticks in the 5 finger cigar bags and stack them in my blackwatch. The baggies help retain the RH levels pretty well. TravelingJ taught me that trick and it seems to be pretty dang great. But yes, a boveda will help.

If your not talking about the travel humidor, then yeah... Listen to what BrittS88 said.

-Chrisso

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If so, then sure you can. But I personally just travel with a bunch of sticks in the 5 finger cigar bags and stack them in my blackwatch. The baggies help retain the RH levels pretty well. TravelingJ taught me that trick and it seems to be pretty dang great. But yes, a boveda will help.

If your not talking about the travel humidor, then yeah... Listen to what BrittS88 said.

-Chrisso
Yes, sorry. It is the 40 ct. Travel Humidor. Threw a 72% Boveda pack in there.

BrittS88

Banned
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

-Chrisso
Yes, sorry. It is the 40 ct. Travel Humidor. Threw a 72% Boveda pack in there.
then disregard what I said lol

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need to season it first, but then yes you can store cigars for long term. As long as temperature stays around 65 and humidity is maintained I smoked a cigar that was my grandfathers and was about 25 yeara old.

Sorry its the Blackwatch 40 Count Travel Humidor, so its plastic. Thats what I was asking, I guess I treat it like a tupperdor?

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Sorry its the Blackwatch 40 Count Travel Humidor, so its plastic. Thats what I was asking, I guess I treat it like a tupperdor?
Yes. There shouldnt be any seasoning needed. Just make sure the screw by the handle to allow pressure release on the box isnt abnormally long. It hasnt happened to me, but I was worried that if a stick slid down the foam just right, and into that screw release, it would damage the goods. So be mindful of it, or grind it down. You'll see exactly what I'm talking about when you receive it.

Other than that, the box is great, and should be good to go right away. If this is your only humidor for the time being, you might try and get some cedar sheets (come with boxes of Ceegars) from your B&M and maybe stick one or two in the bottom of it. Helps if you like that smell.

Congrats on the purchase man! I love mine!
-Chrisso

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
A boveda pack will work perfectly fine and the seal is great on those so the humidity will hold in well. Long term storage like what? If you have a box or two worth Cubans in there you're aging for 3-5 years then you definitely want some cedar or something. If long term storage is more like a 6 months I don't think it matters near as much. Either way it definitely doesn't hurt to have a little but of cedar but most likely not necessary. As with winedors and tupperadors remember to open it every once in a while to allow your cigars to breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Would a 72% Boveda pack be okay for storage in it?
I personally would go 65%. It's an airtight container, so you don't have to compensate for any lost rH due to leakage, and most smokes IMO smoke better in the mid-60's. 72% will overhumidify them and you'll have flat flavors, plugs, etc.

As to your original question, Fat_Risling gave a great answer: for several months, no problem. But ultimately, while plastic storage is a great temporary solution, you want something spanish cedar lined for anything longer than a few months at a time.