What's new

Blenders and "Blenders"

Stogie_Bear

Chulo Savage
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
When this question comes up, I can't help but think of conversations with @JonHuber. While Jon is incredibly proud of his brands, he is quick to point out that he isn't the master blender behind them. That Ernesto and Jaime are the real blenders behind the Crowned Heads products. That doesn't mean that Jon doesn't come up with the blend concept, what he's trying to accomplish with the blend, pick the final blend that will be used, etc.

I think often people confuse a "brand owner" or "owner of a company" with a blender. To blend a good cigar, to really blend it from the leaves on up, takes a real skill and talent. Knowing how to make that "medium strength, but full flavor smoke with a profile of XYZ takes a different level of knowledge and skill.

We have over a hundred exclusives at Famous, and I've been lucky enough to be part of some of our recent releases. I've helped pick the profile, sample the test blends, recommend changes, picked names, etc. On a project we are working on now, I actually came up with the wrapper, binder and filler components that will be used. But knowing which priming to use to get the right profile, the amount of each leaf, the crop of leaves, how they are aged, etc is all done by people much more skilled then me. They are the blenders at our partner factories and companies IMHO.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
100%

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
When this question comes up, I can't help but think of conversations with @JonHuber. While Jon is incredibly proud of his brands, he is quick to point out that he isn't the master blender behind them. That Ernesto and Jaime are the real blenders behind the Crowned Heads products. That doesn't mean that Jon doesn't come up with the blend concept, what he's trying to accomplish with the blend, pick the final blend that will be used, etc.

I think often people confuse a "brand owner" or "owner of a company" with a blender. To blend a good cigar, to really blend it from the leaves on up, takes a real skill and talent. Knowing how to make that "medium strength, but full flavor smoke with a profile of XYZ takes a different level of knowledge and skill.

We have over a hundred exclusives at Famous, and I've been lucky enough to be part of some of our recent releases. I've helped pick the profile, sample the test blends, recommend changes, picked names, etc. On a project we are working on now, I actually came up with the wrapper, binder and filler components that will be used. But knowing which priming to use to get the right profile, the amount of each leaf, the crop of leaves, how they are aged, etc is all done by people much more skilled then me. They are the blenders at our partner factories and companies IMHO.

@JonHuber was exactly who this topic made me think of from listening to his interviews and the praise he has for Ernesto and the Garcias

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0

Thanks for the reply this is what Im talking about. Love the answer. Yeah I know what I consider to be a blender but it just seems like we slap the word on any dude who owns a company, and not only is it misleading, but I find it somewhat disrespectful to the ones that actually make it happen, whether the blends are banging, mediocre, or not that great just cause someone has some money invested in a company does not make them the tobacco expert with the skills it takes to actually blend.

Sent from my SM-G900K using Tapatalk