What's new

blending cigars

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my room mate is a new guy with a big interest in cigars. ive got the tabletop humidor and he made it to one of those plastic air tight waterproof travel humidors. ive had an interest in aging two different brand cigars next to each other to blend them like a VSG and a triple maduro to see what happened. i assume the VSG will get a darker flavor to it but i think the triple maduro is too potent to get anything from the VSG

but thats not the matter. we have a Don Thomas (darker sweet flavor), an arturo fuente hemmingway short story, and a gispert (light smooth slightly sweet flavor) all in the travel humidor put away waiting. my question is how long? and what are your predictions on the outcome? looks to me like the short story will get some sweetness and the gispert will get darker and the aging in general will help out the gispert and don thomas

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
IMO it would take years for that to work. The only time a cigar of mine started picking up flavors of the ones next to it was when I first started smoking w/ a 20ct humi and I stored a couple flavored smokes with my stash for about 1 month. For the most part they all picked up the smell and slight taste of the flavor infused stick.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Justin is right. It would take years for the flavor to change and in fact, it wouldn't change that much. When cigars are infused with flavor, IE: Acid, they are treated before rolling, allowed to sit and soak up the infusion before they are rolled.

With 1400 cigar lines throughout the world, don't waste your time trying to change the flavor, smoke something great now. Aging is completely different than infusing. Cigars definitely benefit from taking time to age, allowing the blend to smooth out if you will. Younger cigars (freshly rolled) often times have that sick taste, usually caused by the release of amonia. IN that case, I would let them sit for about 6 -9 months before I would smoke them.

Hope that helps some!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even if there was a transfer of oils from one cigar to the other, if you are a beginner, the chances of noticing this as a change in flavor would be slim. Ive been smoking cigars for years and have (IMHO) a fairly refined palate, but im not sure that i could tell the difference even after two years of those two cigars sitting next to each other

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have to agree with twenty5 & Angry Bill, what your proposing is a long term project. IMO is you have the patience to wait the results will be disappointing. Like Bill said smoke great cigars now. And if you want to put some down for ageing thats okay too.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah i see. the time it would take is what i was looking for. i knew about the advantages of aging and the ammonia part. thanks for the info, guys

when there's a question thrown out here that i dont know i tell guys i'll go check it out with "the brotherhood..." making it sound like an underground organization that im a part of. it gets odd looks from everybody until i explain it. im in the army and my command thinks im a part of some sort of cult but it's entirely cigars so if it really is a cult they cant do anything about it