What's new

Blending pipe tobaccos

Rating - 100%
74   0   0

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Not blending in the strictest sense, but I'll add a sweet pinch of aromatic to a few of my stronger English ribbons.
The wife is not a fan of Latakia, so the sugar tames the acrid smoke.

For actual blending give these links a go -

His first two vids might help you out:
The Basics of Tobacco Blending:
A thorough refresher on all things leaf (past and present):
Thanks for the links they are very helpful. What about blending different tins of tobacco? For example blending Nightcap with some Orlik or any other tins. Does anyone find themselves mixing doing this? Maybe at the end of tin in case it’s not enough for a bowl?

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
You're welcome.
A piper's method of blending is tantamount to firing up a stick.
There are no rules. Only a presumptuous asshat would tell you otherwise.

I do not blend. I'll add a pinch of Boswell's something, or 1-Q to take the edge off of the Latakia (for the wife's sake). I never do this when piping alone.
Over the years a few acquaintances have gifted me some of their samples to enjoy.
Curiously, they were all in plug form (?), and were all very tasty. English/Balkan blends mostly. The net is full of plug press examples if interested.

I'm fascinated on the subject of blending, but I'm also very cheap/tight.
The thought of blending a big pile of 'Yuk' and waisting perfectly good tobacco has me hyperventilating as I type this.

Here's a long fortified thread regarding your question:

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
You're welcome.
A piper's method of blending is tantamount to firing up a stick.
There are no rules. Only a presumptuous asshat would tell you otherwise.

I do not blend. I'll add a pinch of Boswell's something, or 1-Q to take the edge off of the Latakia (for the wife's sake). I never do this when piping alone.
Over the years a few acquaintances have gifted me some of their samples to enjoy.
Curiously, they were all in plug form (?), and were all very tasty. English/Balkan blends mostly. The net is full of plug press examples if interested.

I'm fascinated on the subject of blending, but I'm also very cheap/tight.
The thought of blending a big pile of 'Yuk' and waisting perfectly good tobacco has me hyperventilating as I type this.

Here's a long fortified thread regarding your question:
Great thanks! That’s a long read!

Does anyone have any favorite blends that they make?

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
C&D has some great tobacco if you want to try blending some together. I'm seriously thinking about getting a press and start doing some experiments.

WhiteLightning

This is WhiteLightning!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
C&D has some great tobacco if you want to try blending some together. I'm seriously thinking about getting a press and start doing some experiments.
I was actually thinking of that. I took advantage of the C&D sale and I bought a bunch of tins, none of which are for blending. I feel like my pipe palate is not developed enough to start blending my own.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a few that I mix together. I’m still new to pipe world... but, most everything people seem to smoke is a blend. So, seems most appropriate to please your own senses with what you like.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I have a few that I mix together. I’m still new to pipe world... but, most everything people seem to smoke is a blend. So, seems most appropriate to please your own senses with what you like.

Exactly, there are no rules. Experimenting is what makes it fun.