What's new

Blends

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definatly agree that the stock could be cut in half. I get confused sometime when looking for a stick, but I'm ell cheapo so that cuts down the size of my chouces some also.

And Todd dont wory the other ones you sent are part of the few that I still have from last summer and it has been sittin prety around 65 waiting for a time for me and Jeff to actualy be able to sit and enjoy a cigar. I feel it needs the respect of a good camp fire and time to enjoy. Will post thoughts when we do get a chance again.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I like the fact that cuban blends are somewhat predictable in the whole line. Meaning all the cigars in that line will have some of the same characteristics. Now this doesn't apply to all cigars in the same line though.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't smoke NC anymore but overall, I'd say the general marketing campaign has been pretty good for the new smoker. Once you get to know the ropes it can get annoying but for the new guy, variety and selection (with the help of a tobacconist) can be a good thing. I think the idea of multiple lines for a given brand is the manufacturer's attempt at keeping you within their brand. If you like a particular stick in their line, but want something stonger you can move over to another cigar under their brand.

It's the same with many different industries- for example GM. If there overall brand focused only on one thing, they wouldn't have Chevy, Cadillac, etc. and would only have trucks- different sizes but all with the same powertrain.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stick to what I like.
Cubans
VR Don Alejandro's
BBF
BPC
Party shorts
PSD4

Non Cuban
Tatauje (the whole fucking line)
VSG's
88's
Gru Cru's
Padron's 64 or 26's
RP
CAO's

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Legends of the Playground said:
This is one of the reasons that I have soured on NCs. As htey constantly try new marketing gimmicks (that's really what the new lines are) they tend to forget what made them good. Case in point... I used to like the CAO L'Aniversaire (sic) in both natural and maduro. Then they started messing with the blends and eventually changed them plus adding a bunch of other lines that, IMO, aren't that good. But, they sell more and that's what they're in the business to do. But I wont smoke their cigars anymore.
CAO has changed manufacturers a few times which as drastically changed their cigar. When the Anniveraire Maduo first came out it was the bomb. Then they changed plants and it faded. Now its better but will never match up to the original.

DWSC_Bob

Bearded Wonder
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So having more choice is a bad thing? Sorry, I miss the point of that. This seems to be just another shot at dissing NC's in favor of ISOM. CAO is the exception in that they have had trouble maintaining qulaity and taste in their line. But look at AF Hemingways, the Ashtons and Padrons. Certain lines maintain the flavor and quality over time. But, some lines are from limited tobacco and they may change over time. But does not different crop years change the flavor of ISOMs as well? Is a 1990 XXXX the same as a 1995? And what about as they changed seed stock trying to defeat the little green monsters? Did they not have some change in taste? I know it can be confusing for some of you that not all Fuente's taste alike but I for one enjoy the variety of cigars, in a variety of shapes and sizes that are available, both ISOM and NC. And the fact that it allows them to sell more cigars benefiots all of us. Rising water floats all boats, more smokers equals less resistance to smoking and less demand for anti-smoking legislation.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I believe you miss some of the points trying to be made Bob. Especially with this: "This seems to be just another shot at dissing NC's in favor of ISOM."
There have been plenty of positive comments made towards the variety of NC's and how they are marketed.

As to variety being a good thing? Sure. But I don't need 12 different Ford Trucks to choose from, really, I don't. And that's what it gets to feeling like with some NC brands. That being said, if you just LOVE every Torano you've ever had, it's nice to know that you have that many different Torano's to smoke. Heck, you could probably happily go through life, smoking multiple stogies each day and only ever patronizing 1-2 NC brands (assuming quality always remains good). ESPECIALLY if you aren't particular of one certain size cigar.

One thing to remember in comparing these types of things:
You could compare any major NC brand (not the botique brands necessarily, but someone like a CAO, Torano, AF, Montecristo, etc.) to Habanos S.A. in general. And you can compare each of Habanos S.A.'s brands (Cohiba, Partagas etc.) to each LINE within an NC Brand (Montecristo White, Platinum, Afrique, Serie V, VI, etc.).
Both are single companies (well, you know what I mean) offering a variety of smokes targeted at different tastes and pocket books. When you consider that, and then multiply the number or companies by how many NC brands there are out there, you start to see just how convoluted your choices become when dealing with NCs. And that has simply to do with the sheer number of companies that come under the "NC" umbrella.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
It's not a bad thing Dale, it is very bothersome to some smokers though.

If I were a tobacconist I would prefer the manufacturers not make, for example, 7 sizes of the same blend. If it's the same blend and they taste similar just make one size...maybe two. If the consumer likes the blend they will buy it regardless of size.

The reason I, if I were a tobacconist, would rather the manufacturers not make 7 sizes of every bland (<--- LOL Freudian slip?) is because I could likely fit more variety into the limited space of my walk in.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Jwrussell said:
One thing to remember in comparing these types of things:
You could compare any major NC brand (not the botique brands necessarily, but someone like a CAO, Torano, AF, Montecristo, etc.) to Habanos S.A. in general. And you can compare each of Habanos S.A.'s brands (Cohiba, Partagas etc.) to each LINE within an NC Brand (Montecristo White, Platinum, Afrique, Serie V, VI, etc.).
Both are single companies (well, you know what I mean) offering a variety of smokes targeted at different tastes and pocket books. When you consider that, and then multiply the number or companies by how many NC brands there are out there, you start to see just how convoluted your choices become when dealing with NCs. And that has simply to do with the sheer number of companies that come under the "NC" umbrella.
Good way to explain it...better than I did the first time around. When you look at it that way you can see the exponential number of choices compared to cuban choices. I never said choice was a bad thing...but sometimes too much choice gets to be confusing and can give oneself a headache.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
robusto_ps said:
I stick to what I like.
Non Cuban
Tatauje (the whole fucking line)
VSG's
88's
What are 88's ? Consuegras?

And to answer the original question ... more NC choices have not overwhelmed me to the point where I buy only CCs. I buy based on taste and quality of construction. I do agree though that some makers (CAO, Gurkha, Perdomo) tend to go a bit overboard on the number of sub-brands.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
DWSC_Bob said:
But does not different crop years change the flavor of ISOMs as well? Is a 1990 XXXX the same as a 1995? And what about as they changed seed stock trying to defeat the little green monsters?

Did they not have some change in taste? I know it can be confusing for some of you that not all Fuente's taste alike but I for one enjoy the variety of cigars, in a variety of shapes and sizes that are available, both ISOM and NC. And the fact that it allows them to sell more cigars benefiots all of us. Rising water floats all boats, more smokers equals less resistance to smoking and less demand for anti-smoking legislation.
I agree with Bob on this one. I've been reading a lot of info regarding the H2K Corojo development trying to stop the Blue Mold. I've read that the blend changed over began around '95-'96 and completely by '98. I don't think this was a witch hunt on the NC's, but just an interesting point of view. I haven't gone through any NC's range of vitolas so I can't really comment on if the NC Partagas Naturales taste the same as thier #10. I'm sure that they have enough tobacco to produce a "blended line" consisting of a paticular blend and hitting every size to cover any smokers preference. The NC Montecristo does have several lines going for them and I think that would be the best thing to do when you have that much tobacco at thier disposal. One blend for thier line. New blend....new line. Pick your vitola and you're good to go.

What do you do when your making puro's? You have all kinds of tobacco that doesn't fit within your blend, so you make it into a new vitola. It'll have a different flavor profile because of the different grade in the blend. I wouldn't openly open fire on any cigar because I'm sure one of you like the one that I just crushed into the pavement outside 20 minutes ago.

Anyways...I'm done.
-Rob

DWSC_Bob

Bearded Wonder
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accept that it is confusing and that is unfortunate. I guess we have to rely on the market to sort it all out. Not all of the brands will succeed. I do enjoy having so much choice in taste, size and shape. It seems that no matter what size I am wanting or what shape, I can find a stick that will please me. Now add in the house brands, boutiques and private labels to the mix and I wonder how many 'different' tastes actually exist out there. Who knows? This could just be dilluting the market to keep any one player from getting too big to control it, thereby keeping prices in line?