What's new

blind 5ers

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Got them out this afternoon.
I missed the post office today, so it will be Saturday morning before I can ship... :(

I had a fiver picked out and ready to go, but since we have the extra time, I can revise the selection if you want - do you prefer stronger cigars, or more medium strength? The least I can do since I've taken so long, is put together a fiver that you're more likely to enjoy...

ChipS

Chip
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
You work fast. I'll have your's out tomorrow afternoon.

So these showed up for me today from @nic. Looking forward to getting started on reviews - at first glance none of them stand out as cigars I recognize...but who knows, they could be anything - even a bowling alley! Thank you Nic, I'll try to do my first review next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Blind Review - stick #1

blind1-1.JPG

Slightly spongy but still mostly firm cigar, wrapper has a little bit of mineral sparkle and appears to be stretched tightly around the cigar. Pre-light, the foot has an earthy aroma. Double guillotine cut, it has an easy cold draw with a little bit of sweetness. Looking at the foot, a dark leaf in the center suggests that it might have some strength to it.

1st third - The smoke has a woodsy taste to it, oak? Super smooth retrohale. It's a bit cool, maybe piney and a bit salty? Definitely wood, with just a hint of pepper/spice...

Cigar Inspector's Flavor Wheel has a "Not-Really-Flavor Flavors" section, and I think that "cold" belongs on the wheel. It's been a while since I had that cold sensation from a cigar, although it could be that the temps in my garage just make everything seem cold. Although, I'm also getting "dry" - not the stick itself, but as a Not-Really-Flavor Flavor.

Pepper flavor picks up a bit, most noticeable on the retrohale.

2nd third - I think that the faint salty notes I picked up earlier are more of a salted nuts, somewhere between peanuts and cashews. Detecting a hint of black tea, I make a cup of Earl Grey. This really brings out the tea flavors, for obvious reasons, but it's still predominantly a woodsy/oaky smoke.

At the halfway point, it picks up some kick, and it's getting spicier too. @Bondo 440 comments above, which makes me start to wonder what it is.

3rd third - It's trying to go out, but relights easily. The spice and strength really continue to surge, as the woodsy notes begin to take a back seat. The amped up spice and strength has me thinking that it's a Garcia stick, so I browse the interwebs, looking for clues...

Despite a few relights, no tar buildup, and taste goes right back to where it left off every time. The burn stayed even the whole time and the draw stayed consistent throughout, and at about an inch to go, I'm calling it nubbed.

blind1-2.JPG

Smoking time - just over 2 hours. (I smoke slow, and the increasing strength kept it that way.)

Overall - if I've ever smoked this before, it's been quite a while. I enjoyed the first half more than the 2nd, but still not a bad smoke at any point. I followed that cup of tea with a beer, but one beer wasn't enough liquid courage to power through the amped up strength of the 2nd half - it had to be smoked slowly.

My guess - I wouldn't have thought this from the first third, but it has too many Garcia-like qualities to guess anything else. My first thought was DPG Blue, but the initial woodsy qualities remind me of the original NC H Upmann, so I'm thinking it was a Sumatra wrapper, which combined with the size and appearance, leaves me guessing - La Reloba Sumatra?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Blind Review - stick #1

View attachment 75588

Slightly spongy but still mostly firm cigar, wrapper has a little bit of mineral sparkle and appears to be stretched tightly around the cigar. Pre-light, the foot has an earthy aroma. Double guillotine cut, it has an easy cold draw with a little bit of sweetness. Looking at the foot, a dark leaf in the center suggests that it might have some strength to it.

1st third - The smoke has a woodsy taste to it, oak? Super smooth retrohale. It's a bit cool, maybe piney and a bit salty? Definitely wood, with just a hint of pepper/spice...

Cigar Inspector's Flavor Wheel has a "Not-Really-Flavor Flavors" section, and I think that "cold" belongs on the wheel. It's been a while since I had that cold sensation from a cigar, although it could be that the temps in my garage just make everything seem cold. Although, I'm also getting "dry" - not the stick itself, but as a Not-Really-Flavor Flavor.

Pepper flavor picks up a bit, most noticeable on the retrohale.

2nd third - I think that the faint salty notes I picked up earlier are more of a salted nuts, somewhere between peanuts and cashews. Detecting a hint of black tea, I make a cup of Earl Grey. This really brings out the tea flavors, for obvious reasons, but it's still predominantly a woodsy/oaky smoke.

At the halfway point, it picks up some kick, and it's getting spicier too. @Bondo 440 comments above, which makes me start to wonder what it is.

3rd third - It's trying to go out, but relights easily. The spice and strength really continue to surge, as the woodsy notes begin to take a back seat. The amped up spice and strength has me thinking that it's a Garcia stick, so I browse the interwebs, looking for clues...

Despite a few relights, no tar buildup, and taste goes right back to where it left off every time. The burn stayed even the whole time and the draw stayed consistent throughout, and at about an inch to go, I'm calling it nubbed.

View attachment 75589

Smoking time - just over 2 hours. (I smoke slow, and the increasing strength kept it that way.)

Overall - if I've ever smoked this before, it's been quite a while. I enjoyed the first half more than the 2nd, but still not a bad smoke at any point. I followed that cup of tea with a beer, but one beer wasn't enough liquid courage to power through the amped up strength of the 2nd half - it had to be smoked slowly.

My guess - I wouldn't have thought this from the first third, but it has too many Garcia-like qualities to guess anything else. My first thought was DPG Blue, but the initial woodsy qualities remind me of the original NC H Upmann, so I'm thinking it was a Sumatra wrapper, which combined with the size and appearance, leaves me guessing - La Reloba Sumatra?
It was a La Casita Criolla by Tatuaje all broad leaf. Something i don't see very often but I like.download.jpg I tried to mix it up a little until you get to the last two?

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
It was a La Casita Criolla by Tatuaje all broad leaf. Something i don't see very often but I like.View attachment 75596 I tried to mix it up a little until you get to the last two?
That was an NHIE for me - I looked up some reviews, glad to see that I wasn't too far off from what others were saying. I usually just enjoy a cigar without paying too much attention to it, but the blind review really forced me to focus my attention on the smoke. I gotta say, it was a nice change of pace from the usual routine. Looking forward to the rest of them.

Nice Job Guys ! Two hour burn holy crap @multi-useless !
Nice garage laptop, by the way. I do the same, not a core2 tho..
Thanks, it's not particularly fancy but it works. I keep it in the garage because I don't need it for much of anything that I can't do while smoking, and I like hanging out on BOTL and doing internet stuff when I smoke.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
... it's not particularly fancy but it works. I keep it in the garage because I don't need it for much of anything that I can't do while smoking, and I like hanging out on BOTL and doing internet stuff when I smoke.
LOL the one I use in the garage is 10 years old ! Same thing though.. good enough to look up error codes, or keep occupied while having a cigar !!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I'm keeping out of your blind 5-er wheel. I should be up at bat in the mid-grade pass any time now.
I'll be hitting a roulette stick review from there !

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
So I finished my fiver. I still have not opened the envelope with the answers, and won't till I have finished my review. Now my review is not in depth but here goes
1. I guessed as soon as it was pulled from the package because it is quite unique. It's filled with cream and coffee one of my favorite sticks the oliva melono figurado
2. Was a little more difficult imo tat seems to have alot of the same offerings even in between lines. And this stick has alot of pepper and spice when I smoke alot of tats I get the taste of buttered popcorn which makes me believe this may be a tat conju or a vsg.
3. Also screams tat the draw is a little tight on this one but burn is phenomenal. I can narrow this one down to a specific line
4.i know I have smoked this cigar before. Specific taste and aroma are hay and spice only in the retro some floral in the background.
5. I think is definitely la improsia strong coffee chocolate flavors I really enjoy this stick everything is on burn draw construction just the right amount of pepper
And the answer is revealed below
1.oliva v melona figurado 2.under crown "I had no idea" 3.four kicks black belt buckle "a first for me" 4. Roma craft aquitane "also a first for me" 5. I had no trouble guessing this one either la improsia " it is also one of my faves" I thought Eric had sent doubles but different vitolas but I was wrong. It was pretty fun doing this I am game to do it again in the future

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
So I finished my fiver. I still have not opened the envelope with the answers, and won't till I have finished my review. Now my review is not in depth but here goes
1. I guessed as soon as it was pulled from the package because it is quite unique. It's filled with cream and coffee one of my favorite sticks the oliva melono figurado
2. Was a little more difficult imo tat seems to have alot of the same offerings even in between lines. And this stick has alot of pepper and spice when I smoke alot of tats I get the taste of buttered popcorn which makes me believe this may be a tat conju or a vsg.
3. Also screams tat the draw is a little tight on this one but burn is phenomenal. I can narrow this one down to a specific line
4.i know I have smoked this cigar before. Specific taste and aroma are hay and spice only in the retro some floral in the background.
5. I think is definitely la improsia strong coffee chocolate flavors I really enjoy this stick everything is on burn draw construction just the right amount of pepper
And the answer is revealed below
1.oliva v melona figurado 2.under crown "I had no idea" 3.four kicks black belt buckle "a first for me" 4. Roma craft aquitane "also a first for me" 5. I had no trouble guessing this one either la improsia " it is also one of my faves" I thought Eric had sent doubles but different vitolas but I was wrong. It was pretty fun doing this I am game to do it again in the future
I'm glad you had fun, I'm a little behind on my reviews (only 2 so far) because of the holidays and the drinking haha. I want to be at my wits while reviewing and should be done by the weeks end! Post reviews when completed.

Definitely smoking #3 tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: