BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0

Size: 7 x 38-ish
Wrapper: Unknown
Binder: Unknown
Filler: Unknown
Price: Unknown

Intro: I had planned on smoking something else this afternoon, but you know what they say about plans. When I went to the humidor it didn't strike my fancy. Several other cigars struck my fancy, changed my mind a handful of times, and in the end I decided I may just as well go ahead with reviewing the C cigar.

Prelight: This cigar features a medium to dark brown wrapper. Slight oily look to it. There is a network of small dark veins covering the cigar. Nothing that should effect the smoke and nothing that really detracts from the visual impression of the cigar. The seams blend seamlessly into the cigar, probably helped by the veining pattern. The triple cap is neatly applied. The cigar has a slighly crunchy feel when pinched and there are a few places that feel softer than others. Cap cut cleanly, leving behind an easy draw with vague flavors of slightly sweet tobacco and fleeting spice. I've been on a matches kick lately and continued with this cigar.

First Third: Initially there is some pepper and a light green vegetation flavor that reminds me some of a CC. The green vegetation transforms into more of a bell pepper flavor about half an inch in. The pepper hangs around for the entire first third. Toward the end of the first third a slightl sweet earthiness creeps into the mix. The ash was a light gray in color and held for about a 1/4" before it either fell or got to looking like it was so I tapped it off. Burn was really straight.

Second Third: The second third witnessed an intensifying of the earthy flavor and the pepper dropped out. The green pepper flavor hung around, but was more subdued that before. There was a nuttiness on the retro. The burn wavered some here and there, but always corrected itself. If not for going out around mid 2/3, I wouldn't have had to light another match.

Last Third: I got a minty tingle on the end of my tongue that started just before the last third. The earthy flavor was still present, but deeper and less sweet. The green pepper became a touch woody in nature and about half way though I got a foul, bitter taste and immediately caused me to pitch the cigar. One puff it was fine, next it was bad. Very bad. I had to go wash my mouth out. The burn and ash remained the same. The wrapper did split in a few places during this phase. Didn't seem to effect the smoke though.

Final Thoughts: Overall I really liked this cigar. Nice flavors and decent complexity/change in flavors as the cigar progressed. The burn was excellent. If not for the unhappy ending it would have been better, but whatcha gonna do. I don't think the ending would be typical or anything, sometimes you just get an odd one. I was digging the flavors and probably smoked it a bit fast, but still usually get a little warning before it gets bad. This was day and night. As for what it is. I dunno. I want to say La Aroma de Cuba, but the measurements are wrong (their Lancero is 7.5" instead of 7") and they all have fan tail caps, this did not.

Dan

Rating - 100%
152   0   0
Cigar C

The Specs
Manufactured:UNK
Length/Gauge: Lancero
Wrapper/Filler: UNK
Price: UNK

Appearance & Construction
Very rustic looking light brown wrapper; looks like there was a repair near the foot. Very visible seams, some small veins. Upon closer inspection, some of the wrapper seems to be very loosely applied and coming apart at the seams. Very spongy feel, very light in the hand.
Grade: D

Flavor
Very light hay aroma, pre-light draw flavors is similar; very light, elusive. The draw is very, very loose, like sucking through a wide straw. I’m hoping the loose wrapper is not affecting the draw through the stick.

Stick lit right up, very strong flavor right up front, very surprising as the pre-light flavor & aroma was so gentle. Smoke out put is very good; it doesn’t seem that the crack in the wrapper has affected the pull.

A tingly spice hits me right in the front of my mouth, again very surprising given the pre-light. Spice lingers on the long finish. No other flavors to speak of.

About an inch in and I pick up an odd flavor; the first thought is soap. It’s not unpleasant, but cannot really put my finger on it. Pack seems very, very loose, and there are cracks along the burn line. Dirty gray ash fell off about at about this point.

Smoke production really slowed down about 2” in, smoke from the foot seems to be ok, but it seems the cracked wrapper is affecting the draw now.

Burned past the first crack and smoke production increased dramatically. Flavor is about the same, spice up front and lingers on the finish; another elusive flavor is there but just barely, maybe gram cracker(?)

About ½ way in and had to re-light. Flavors remained the same, but strength ramped up a bit, I smoked this while I was grilling dinner and I can feel it in the pit of my stomach.

Wrapper is looking worse for wear and when the ash fell off again, I see that the cigar is tunneling; the stick is really spongy after the burn line & I decide to call it a day.
Grade: C

Value
Unk
Grade: UNK

Final Thoughts
Surprisingly spicy after a very mild aroma and pre-light draw. Not a very complex cigar, but not unpleasant. Putting construction problems aside, in my notes during the smoke I wrote "not unpleasant" several times; it would not be a cigar that I would buy.
Final Overall Grade: C-

Guess
With the single note flavor and construction issues, this seems to be a bundled cigar, likely a 2nd. Don’t have a clue as to the manf.

Attachments

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Cigar C Review

Looks to be 6.5 x 38 (lancero)

Medium brown wrapper. Oily sheen. Triple cap. Some soft spots near foot

Pre-light draw is loose. Muted spice & wood detected.

First Third: Lit up easily. Blast of red pepper. Woody core. Tons of smoke. Sweet tobacco. Fresh earth. Dark gray ash. Very enjoyable.

Second Third: Flavors ramp up a tad. Same spice, red bell pepper, wood & earthy flavor remain. This cigar has a flavor profile that I really like.

Third Third: The spice really ramps up. Slight bitterness but not bad. Toasted wood (oak?) and fresh dug earth are predominant flavors. With red pepper spice through the nose.

Overall: I really liked this cigar. This was my favorite out of the blind reviews so far. The flavor profile (spice/wood/earth) suits my tastes perfectly. No burn or construction problems at all.

Rating: I'd buy a box if the price wasn't too out of line. A solid 88

Guess: This cigar reminded me a lot of a Tatuaje Havana VI Lancero (Victorias?). Not sure if the size matched up though...

Last edited:

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
Cigar C:

7X38

Nice construction, med brown wrapper, a bit of oily sheen, nice looking triple cap.

Prelight is woody and leathery, good open draw, no problems here.

1st 3rd: Nice wood flavors, a bit of spice that gives way to some vegetation favors, kind of like leathery root vegetables.

2nd 3rd: All leather and wood, not much spice here, the draw opens up even more and keeping it lit becomes a hassle, if I put it down for more than 30 seconds it goes out and I have to relight, if i keep puffing it burns hot and taste like chemicals.

3rd 3rd: I purge it because of all the relighting, the chemical taste comes on stronger. I purge again and it goes out again. I am done.

Overall: If the first third were all there was to smoke, I'm in for a fiver at least but there are the last two thirds. However, I think this was a dud. The chemical taste was certainly due to my relighting and that was due, I think, to construction issues.

Verdict: I want to try another one. Can't wait to see what this is so I can pick one up.

Guess: Looks like a Cain F Lancero but the caps don't match up at all, everything else does. However the wrapper and the caps look like a V. I love the V but have never had the lance so if I had to guess that's it but I'm only going on appearance.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Cigar C

Prelight: Not much going on here in terms of flavor, just a light tobacco taste. The wrapper on this one is beautiful, a nice chocolate brown color that sort shines.

1st 3rd: Upon lighting the cigar, I am immediately hit with a blast of pepper. Right of the bat I think I know what this one is, or at least who makes it. So far, all that I am picking up is spice and an earthy flavor. The construction on this stick is flawless and the burn is razor sharp and the ash is falling in one inch chunks. The spice seems to slow down a bit as I begin moving into the 2nd 3rd.

2nd 3rd: Moving into the next 3rd, the burn starts to waver a bit. After a few draws, the burn starts to correct itself. This cigar has a very, very, very familiar profile. The spice and earth and the prominent flavors so far, making it similar to the 1st 3rd. The only difference is, the spice is a bit toned down in this 3rd. The ash is still falling in ½-1 inch chunks. I would say the strength on this cigar is towards the full side, which was surprising to me.

3rd 3rd: Coming into the final 3rd, the cigar has really come into a sweet spot for me. The flavors are melding nicely, the spice is toned down from the 2nd 3rd and the earth tones have moved to the front. This is another great cigar! The burn is back to being razor sharp and the smoke production is spot on, as its been throughout the entire stick. As with the first two 3rds, the ash is falling in ½-1 inch chunks.

Summary: This was yet another great cigar, 3 for 3. I will, without question, pick more of these up if they are readily available. The profile on this one reminded me of a tat, or if not tat definitely Pepin made. The spice on the first few puffs is what gives this one away, at least in my mind. I nubbed this one, almost burnt my fingers. I cant thank FTTF enough for letting me take part in this, it has been quite an experience so far.

Attachments

CaTeacher

BoM May 2012
Rating - 100%
222   0   0
FTTF Blind Review Cigar C

Appearance and Construction – A well constructed cigar with a brown wrapper and some noticeable veins. This was a fairly light weight cigar, with a soft spot at about the 2/3 mark. This looks to be a standard lancero sized cigar.

Pre-light – Draw was pretty good, but didn’t really get much in flavor here.

1/3 – Upon lighting there was woodsy flavor that I really couldn’t pinpoint, along with a faint almond taste in the background. There was a small amount of spice towards the end of the 1/3. The light gray ash held on strong for about the whole first 1/3. The burn was slightly wavy, but pretty solid overall.

2/3 – The spice at the end of the 1/3 became the dominant flavor for the beginning of the 2/3, but quickly gave way to the almond and woodsy taste. Burn and draw stayed consistent here and the ash held on for quite a while once again, which I like.

3/3 – I was expecting to run into trouble here where I had felt the soft spot, but I was able to puff right through it. The spice picked back up, probably because I was smoking it quicker, but never got too harsh. The burn got a little wavier here and I did have to correct it once.

Final thoughts – I enjoyed this cigar from start to finish, although I do not prefer this vitola. I found this to be medium to medium-full, and enjoyed the flavors I got quite a bit.

I would rate this at 86 and would be my second favorite of the three so far. I would have to say Oliva V lancero for my guess.