152   0   0
Cigar D

The Specs
Manufactured: UNK
Length/Gauge: 5” x 52 Robusto
Wrapper/Filler: UNK
Price: UNK

Appearance & Construction
Beautifully constructed with dark, dark brown wrapper. Just an awesome looking madruo in a stout package. Right up my alley. Cut cleanly with V-cutter, draw is perfect; just the right amount of resistance.
Grade: A

Flavor
Pre-light flavor is muted tobacco. First light I get deep rich tobacco flavor, smoke is plentiful, but not chewy. A little spice on the finish. The foot is smoking like Dad's old rambler.

I'm getting a very distinct flavor of vanilla on the draw; I think this is enhanced by the whisky I'm drinking (Pendleton Canadian blended whisky, a gift from a BOTL)
But there is definitely some sweetness in the smoke.

About an inch in, no change in the flavor; rich tobacco and some sweetness. Still a tremendous amount of smoke coming off the stick. Ash is bright white & rock steady. Knocked the ash off at 1.5 inches when it looked like it might come off in my lap.

At the 1/2 way point; spice is ramping up, as well as strength. At 3 inches in getting chocolate flavors and spice is up a tic.

Nubed it to about 1.5 inches left. I think I'm in love.
Grade: A

Value
UNK

Final Thoughts
FANTASTIC; loved, loved, loved this stick.
Final Overall Grade: A

Guess
Only one manufacturer makes a stick this good looking and smokes like a brushfire. Liga Privada, I guess this was # 9

Attachments

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
Cigar D:

6X52

Deep dark chocolate brown wrapper. You can tell this was once so oily one would would need a wet nap but age has done it justice. Great construction. There is a small crack in the wrapper in the upper third but it never grows or interferes.

Not much smell on the wrapper or the foot, just a bit of sharp tobacco and some citrus.

Pre-light gives a some deep tobacco and citrus.

1/3: Lots of citrus, lots. Nice deep tobacco and salty lemons. A somewhat restricted draw, just right, keeps it lit when you put it down and makes for a very long smoke.

2/3: Lemons are still there. Some coffee coming on strong. Hints of chocolate. The draw tightens up a bit. Still pouring smoke. Bit of a sharp retrohale. Coffee on the palate. Lemon on the retrohale.

3/3: Lots of bitter fruit. The lemon returns with a vengeance. the chocolate and coffee are still there but on the underbelly. There's a tartness that bites a little but is very good.

Overall: This was very good, not for the faint of heart. A joy to have a cigar that someone cared enough to build so well. It took me three hours to down, that's less than two inches per hour as there is at least an half of an inch left. The draw limited the flavor a bit but nothing major--it also gave it its long life. Box worthy for sure.

There are four possibilities when we go on appearance alone: LP 9, LP T52, MF LB, and an UC. However with the preponderance of lemon and hints of salt, I am tossing my hat with the LP T52. There were times I really wanted to call this a MF LB but with the construction, complexity (not that the MF LB is not complex), and the lemon, I go with the T52 toro. Thanks for treating me to this cigar!

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Smoked mine this afternoon. Have to edit some pics and write the review so probably will be tomorrow before I get it posted.

Dan

MICSTOGIE

Gear-Head-Banger
Rating - 100%
27   0   0

1st. No spice, just rich tobacco with a twang, awesome! Was a little tight on the draw but not too bad. Ash is holding solid, burn a bit off but good. Very good on the retro. Loving it!

MICSTOGIE

Gear-Head-Banger
Rating - 100%
27   0   0

2nd. Ash holding strong & still getting that awesome twang. Putting off a TON of smoke from the foot.

Ash just fell on its own with a thud!

MICSTOGIE

Gear-Head-Banger
Rating - 100%
27   0   0

Spice and strength picking up a bit with some coffee notes popping up. Draw is getting tight again. Poked & rolled it around helped. Purge and all is ok. Onto the final 3rd.

MICSTOGIE

Gear-Head-Banger
Rating - 100%
27   0   0

3rd. Spice picked up so did the strength but not overpowering. Burn great, smoke output is crazy. Chocolate flavors picking up, some more coffee too. Draw still a tad on the tight side. Smoke is still very rich and thick.

Final thoughts...great stick! Saved the best for last. Just a fabulous smoking cigar. Only one cigar comes to mind and I am guessing LP9.

Thanks for letting me enjoy these 4 great smoking experiences!

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Cigar D Review

Looks to be 5 x 52 (Robusto)

Beautiful dark brown wrapper. No soft spots. Excellent construction from head to foot.

Pre-light draw is spot on. Faint dark chocolate & cedar detected.

First Third: Foot toasted & cigar lit easily. Onslaught of flavors; cocoa, dark tobacco, clean earth, creamy, faint nuttiness. Huge smoke production - especially from the foot. Blast of pepper on the retrohale. So rich & tasty. Medium plus in body.

Second Third: Flavors and body ramp up to a full on assault of my senses. Never overpowering though. Spice, earth & cocoa are the predominant flavors with some cedar & nuttiness in the background. I start to feel the strength in my gut, but it walks the fine line of being too powerful and just powerful enough perfectly. I REALLY like this cigar.

Third Third: Definitely full flavored/full bodied at this point. So smooth & enticing though - never bitter or harsh. The pepper smooths out through the nose & the cocoa has evolved to more of a fine European dark chocolate flavor now. Earth, spice & cedar still in the background. Just a great smoking experience.

Overall: This was BY FAR the best cigar of the four blind reviews in my book. Just an incredibly rich, smooth, complex, spicy, earthy, ultra flavorful, strong, full bodied, pretty much flawless cigar.

Rating: I'd smoke these everyday & twice on Sunday's if I could afford to. I'm gonna rate it a 93 - hopefully that's not out of line.

Guess: I don't think there's any doubt that this is a Liga Privada. I just haven't smoked enough T52's & 9's to be able to tell the differences between the two though. I'm gonna go with an LP #9 Robusto as my guess.

I can't thank FTTF enough for including me in these blind reviews. I have learned a ton & it has really opened my eyes to many of the preconceived notions I used to have about a certain cigars just by the band on them. Huge props for sending out four killer sticks for me to enjoy as well!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Another great review. I gotta say, I loved that all involved have given an earnest effort while participating if the FTTF blind reviews; you've all make it fun to read, thanks!. Thanks again to FTTF , your blind review program has been some of my favorite content/threads on the board! :applause:

Tobacco Giant

Conn. Broadleaf Slayer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Another great review. I gotta say, I loved that all involved have given an earnest effort while participating if the FTTF blind reviews; you've all make it fun to read, thanks!. Thanks again to FTTF , your blind review program has been some of my favorite content/threads on the board! :applause:
x2! I haven't posted much in them but I've been following!

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
Just got back from vacation. Of course I forgot to pack this stick. I will post my review tomorrow. Sorry for the delay!!!!

CaTeacher

BoM May 2012
Rating - 100%
222   0   0
FTTF Blind Review Cigar D

Appearance and Construction – A nicely constructed cigar with a dark wrapper and some noticeable veins. This was a fairly hefty feeling cigar. There was a nice give to it when pinched and no noticeable soft spots. This looks to be a standard toro sized cigar.

Pre-light – Cigar smelled slightly sweet. Draw was perfect with flavors of chocolate and almonds.

1/3 – I was immediately greeted with a blast of spice and pepper on my lips and in the back of my throat. Smoke was billowing from the stick. I kept waiting for the pepper and spice to fade, but to my dismay, it continued thru the whole first third. The burn was a little wavy and the ash only held for the first half inch. I was a little worried here that this was just going to be a pepper bomb.

2/3 – The spice and pepper continued here, but soon gave way to a chocolate flavor with the spice in the background. The cigar continued to give off plumes of smoke. Starting to enjoy this much more now.

3/3 – The almond flavor from the pre-light draw finally showed up, with the chocolate and pepper mixed in. The finish here was slightly creamy. Burn continued to be wavy and I never really got a great ash going. The draw was perfect throughout.

Final thoughts – I wasn’t really digging this one in the 1/3 and thought about pitching it because I really wasn’t enjoying the taste. However, being a blind review I felt obligated to finish the stick (see my 1st review) and I’m glad I did.

I would rate this stick an 88 and call it a tie with cigar B for my favorite of the bunch. Had the 1/3 not been so powerful, this stick would have gotten the nod as my favorite.

For the 1/3 I was thinking something Pepin made, but the last 2/3 and the ample smoke reminded me more of an LP9 or T52 toro.

I’d really like to thank Neil for putting this all together. It’s been a lot of fun doing these blind reviews.