What's new

Bolivar bands

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I have two very different Bolivar bands.

Is the Bolivar band supposed to be very shiny gold with raised dots around Simon Bolivar and raised madallions on the sides?

-or-

Is the Bolivar band supposed to be dull like gold colored paper with smooth dots and medallions?

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I don't know. I got the one that made me wonder out of a pass. The cigar that it was on tasted dry and flat like a crappy NC.

I am debating on whether I should bring it up with the host of the pass. It's really not a big deal on the lost stick in the trade and I would like to bring it to his attention but I don't want to make him start doubting is stock or anything.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have seen two or three distinct variations of the Bolivar bands. All of them genuine. I'm not sure what to tell you here.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I have about four Bolivar bands in my box-o-bands and this one is way different than the others.

Besides, the cigar tasted very flat and left that nasty NC dusty taste in my mouth. Definitely nothing I would expect from an '03 RC.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
All the Boli bands I have seen(not that many) have been metallic. In fact, they are about the nicest bands i've seen on a cigar thus far.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
I don't know. I got the one that made me wonder out of a pass. The cigar that it was on tasted dry and flat like a crappy NC.

I am debating on whether I should bring it up with the host of the pass. It's really not a big deal on the lost stick in the trade and I would like to bring it to his attention but I don't want to make him start doubting is stock or anything.

Handle It carefully. But not for nothing, maybe he should be doubting his stock.

Ironman

Master Baby Maker-Feb BoM
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Sancho Panza said:
I've seen all kinds of legit Bolivar bands
I agree, are you 100% sure it was a fake? You picked it in the box pass so it must have looked good. I would say unless you are absolutley sure it is a fake grab a nice smoke out of your humi and move on.

Ironman

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fellows, I can't see cvm4's post, bc of firewall @ work; but, if they are too glossy gold, instead of what I call antique gold, with flakes of gold sometimes getting on the cigar, I'd BEWARE...with Bolivars...

the newer Cuban brands, like Vegas Robaina have the more modern, glossy looking gold on their bands

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Sancho Panza said:
fellows, I can't see cvm4's post, bc of firewall @ work; but, if they are too glossy gold, instead of what I call antique gold, with flakes of gold sometimes getting on the cigar, I'd BEWARE...with Bolivars...

the newer Cuban brands, like Vegas Robaina have the more modern, glossy looking gold on their bands
I got bored Kendall :kissforeh

Real

Fake

Fake

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting and Cigar Aficionado for the pics

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Ironman said:
I agree, are you 100% sure it was a fake? You picked it in the box pass so it must have looked good. I would say unless you are absolutley sure it is a fake grab a nice smoke out of your humi and move on.

Ironman

maybe he wasn't able to see it before he picked it .......

i would just alert the person you got it from and see if they have anymore to compare to or where they got it from.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Ashy said:
maybe he wasn't able to see it before he picked it .......

i would just alert the person you got it from and see if they have anymore to compare to or where they got it from.
Bingo :thumbsup:

Ironman said:

Ironman
All that I am 100% sure about is that the band is different than the other I have and the cigar definitely didn't taste like a Royal Corona to me. It didn't even taste Cuban, really flat and left that nasty dusty taste in my mouth like non-uber NCs do.

I have definitely moved on. Not a real heartbreaker here, I only traded one stick for it. I was just looking for some verification on which band is right really and Cliff hooked me up with those links.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
The Prince said:
Handle It carefully. But not for nothing, maybe he should be doubting his stock.
I just PM'd him and explained that I am not mad or looking for anything in return, just letting him know my impressions of the cigar.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
cvm4 said:
I got bored Kendall :kissforeh

Real

Fake

Fake

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting and Cigar Aficionado for the pics

I have had genuine Bolivars with bands that look, If not are these bands above. Except for the white spot on the third band. I know most, or some of you were just waiting for someone to state this. :rolling:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
What were you trying to say in the first sentence of the above post Phil?

lol. Sorry. My point Is: I have had genuine Bolivar with bands that have characteristics of all those bands above. Except the third band. I have never had a Boli band with a white smudge on It.