What's new

Bolivar Belicos Fino

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
This cigar is well known and many reviews have been written here but it is my first experience with it and I wanted to share my thoughts. This cigar is about a 52 ring gauge and measures about 5 1/2 inches long. It's wrapped in a medium brown oily sheened wrapper. The cigar seems well constructed with good fill and no soft spots. The pre-light sniff of the foot revealed nothing to me except just a very smooth tobacco scent with a bit of mustiness.
IMG_3182.jpg
IMG_3186.jpg

After a straight cut and light the cigar opened very spicy with a good volume of thick smoke. Notes of wood and roasted meat come to mine very early on in the first third. The spiciness receded pretty quickly and the cigar developed some creaminess that just coated the mouth with flavor. A bit of coffee and some sweetness also begin to appear. There was also a salty note.
IMG_3189.jpg

The second third was more of the same . The cigar steadied in at a solid medium to full range at this point with the meaty, coffee notes still present. The saltiness picked up a bit and for a few puffs I thought I detected some sort of sour note. It was not at all unpleasant it just seemed to be there and then it was gone. Sweetness was there but in the background. Again the smoke remain creamy and rich. The cigar left an oily, salty taste on my lips. An hour after the cigar is finished that taste is still on my lips.
IMG_3192.jpg

The final third remained pretty consistent with some hints of leather coming in. Smoke remained creamy and full. The cigar never got beyond what to me is on the full side of medium.
IMG_3194.jpg
IMG_3199.jpg

The burn was pretty good. It was wavy throughout the smoke and not at all razor sharp. I did make a couple of burn corrections both nothing significant. Overall I can see why this stick is considered a classic. It's extremely tasty and satisfying. With my very limited CC experience at this point I would rate it considerably ahead of ERDM Choix Supreme and a bit behind the RASS. I am anxious to try this marca in the royal corona size as it seems to be preferred to the Belicoso Fino. Nothing at all wrong with this smoke. It's delicious. Just don't know if I am quite ready to purchase a box yet.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Nice review, thanks Dave. The only Bolivar I have smoked is the Petite Corona, which I really like. I'm working my way through a box. I'm going to have to order another because I can't keep my hands off them and they are still young at a year. Can any brothers out there give me a comparison between the BBF and the BPC?

ChefBoyRG54

BoM Sept '14 & BoY 2014
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Nice review, thanks Dave. The only Bolivar I have smoked is the Petite Corona, which I really like. I'm working my way through a box. I'm going to have to order another because I can't keep my hands off them and they are still young at a year. Can any brothers out there give me a comparison between the BBF and the BPC?
I find them very different personally but not like apples and oranges. More like gala Apple vs fuji or other. The vitolas you mention are very different so it makes sense. But the pc is a great compact version of boli while the bbf is a more romantic approach. Both exceptional imo

Great review Dave. And great smoking area man!