What's new

Bolivar Belicosos Finos '04

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
What can I say? I had nothing better to do with four days off so I thought I would have some fun with great smokes and reviews! :glassesgr

Bolivar Belicosos Finos
Origin: Cuba
Size: Campana
Length: 5.50
Gauge: 52
Box code: Unknown, but marked '04

This one was also a gift from a wonderful BOTL. I had always wanted to try these, but somehow never got around to it even though I had smoked other Bolivar's. I smoked this one in the late afternoon with a nice vodka martini. This was a beautiful cigar. The wrapper was a light chocolate brown and quite veiny. The veins were large, but for some reason, they looked just right on this vitola and certainly did not affect the smoke. Cigar construction was just about perfect. I typically prefer the Corona, Corona Gorda and Robusto, but could not wait to try this large stick.

I like to cut tapered cigars so that the draw area is a bit larger than 3/8", but not quite 1/2". The pre-light draw was perfect for me, although some might think it a bit on the loose side. One thing that stood out in my mind was the wonderful aroma before toasting. This thing smelled strongly of that Cuban leaf and it was pleasant just holding it under my nose to breath in the aroma. Toasting was also fun just to smell the wonderful smoke. The cigar lit perfectly and began burning quite evenly. I later had to make one or two minor corrections, neither of which diminished the smoke. This cigar starts off nice and spicy and the spicy tingle remains throughout the stick. The flavors are just superb; rich and powerful, and the aroma is remarkable. I found the flavors increasing in intensity throughout the cigar, but they were never overwhelming. I had read a number of reviews of this cigar and was leery of its strength. While a fairly stout smoke, it is never overpowering and is among the smoothest cigars I have tried. I rarely nub this large ring size, but I nubbed this thing due to the smooth, strong finish. I was truly impressed with this cigar and how smooth it was, especially for such a large vitola.

These cigars are highly recommended. I will definitely be adding these to my humidor just as soon as I can get some. Even though these larger sticks are usually not my bag, I cannot resist this wonderful cigar. I look forward to aging a few of these.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
I like your reviews Fox. Keep'em coming.

I read somewhere that Cigar Aficianado gave these a not-so-good review, probably due to the fact that that their ratings are biased against advertisment interests.

Anyhow, one of these days I will try one. I hear they are excellent and your review seems more honest than CA's.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Could not help it, jc. There were strong predictions of fires in this region over the New Year's weekend! :wink:

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
These are my favorite regular production cigars (have been since the day I started smoking).

One reason I think CA rates them so low is the reviewers only smoke new cigars and only smoke the first part of it. BBFs, in my opinion, aren't very good fresh. I think they come into their own only after a few years and the flavors are best as the cigar burns toward the end.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I find these to be medium at best, that is, when they don't have too tight of a draw.
I'll have to give em another try sometime.

Good review. Diggin through the 'archives'?